• HELP US - Become a Patron - Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated ... a small donation each month would be a huge contribution. Become a Patron!

Punchestown 2021

16:15 - Unexcepted @ 10/1 EW 6 places. If there is a potential future Grade 1 performer lurking in here then it could be Unexcepted. His wellbeing is a bit of question mark and factored into his price, but he smashed Entoucas readily on chase debut at Tipperary and was electric that day. Probably dangerous taking that on face value as JOB is a target trainer and Entoucas looked to be given an 'educational' ride that day, but I thought Unexcepted backed up very well at Leopardstown and was better than the bare result suggested. Willie has been dominating all well and

17:25 - Saldier @ 20/1 EW 4 places - I've been off the cliff with Saldier more than a few times so this is a a heart over head bet. There's no doubt he's a talented horse and a slick hurdler, perhaps 2 miles at a championship pace stretches him. His course form is superb and it wouldn't be the first time WPM takes a horse untried over 2m and wins a 3m race. I do love Flooring Porter and would love to see him win. I've done the Cromwell/Moore Five Helmets (first race) and Flooring Porter double @ 20/1.

18:00 - Dallas Des Pictons @ 22/1 WIN - I took an exchange price to win because he's being smashed up. 12 from 20 on Skybet. Easy to see why. Decent claimer, course form, lovely run at Cheltenham, wants better ground which he gets - loads to like about this horse. I've nibbled A Great View @ 90's on the exchange and also 40/1 with 7 places. Won this race many moons ago and he seems to save his best for Punchestown with form figures of 11347. He's an unlikely winner, but he could hit the frame at a big price, but DDP main bet here.

19.35 - Forged In Fire @ 14/1 EW - Even in the presence of poor recent form I cant let a horse that once lowered the colours of Ferny Hollow go unbacked at 14/1 in an open race like this, its a simple as that. Hasn't fired since, but could hit the frame.

Thought you had it with unexcepted there, cruised up 2 out then found absolutely bugger all.
 
Unexcepted cruised into that like a proverbial weapon then went out like a light.
 
Major Destination @ 50/1 (130's exchange) is not without a hope of placing in the next. He doesn't have a colossal amount to find on ratings and I am struggling to find runners in this field that want good to firm ground. He's been woeful of late on heavy going in his last 7 starts, but ran credible races on good ground in 2019/2020. Beating Fitzhenry over 3m5f is good form and there are pieces here and there that show he's not a no hoper. Trip should be fine, ground will definitely be fine, and if the recent switch to Caroline McCaldin sparks a revival, then he may hit the frame at a massive price. I've had a nibble, but don't want to after time haha
 
Last edited:
Of course SUlly D'Oc finally wins FFS
 
Of course SUlly D'Oc finally wins FFS

haha my thoughts entirely, backed him at Cheltenham and Aintree, so naturally I didn't today! :watermelon:

And who should win the 4m 2f cross country? A horse who ran (and won) only 2 days ago over 3m1f, of course! :biggrin-new: Fair play to them, they've had it right off!
 
Major Destination @ 50/1 (130's exchange) is not without a hope of placing in the next. He doesn't have a colossal amount to find on ratings and I am struggling to find runners in this field that want good to firm ground. He's been woeful of late on heavy going in his last 7 starts, but ran credible races on good ground in 2019/2020. Beating Fitzhenry over 3m5f is good form and there are pieces here and there that show he's not a no hoper. Trip should be fine, ground will definitely be fine, and if the recent switch to Caroline McCaldin sparks a revival, then he may hit the frame at a massive price. I've had a nibble, but don't want to after time haha

Boom. That was satisfying, and extremely profitable!
 
  • Like
Reactions: Bonjers
Klassical Dream, ridiculously casual! Very impressive.
Flooring Porter, argh! Wants to do everything yesterday.
 
My 'as speculative as it gets' double of Klassical Dream at 25/1 and Goshen not looking too bad at the moment :excitement: - absolutely sensational performance!
 
Just catching up with Punchestown results.
Colreevy jumped right against Elimay in the festival mares chase but showed a good attitude to beat a very good horse imo. Punchestown is RH and she jumped pretty straight there. Monkfish made a bad error at the 3rd last but I don't think that would have altered the result. They were both having their 5th race of the season.
Monkfish was not that impressive in the Brown Advisory so (with the benefit of hindsight) 7/1 vs 10/11 was maybe not a fair assessment of their relative merits before the race. It's always useful to learn from this kind of result. Did Monkfish deserve such a short price?

Allaho was deeply impressive at Cheltenham but did this shorter 2m trip find him out? Or was that Chelt race too hard a race? Anyway Allaho ran creditably in a shorter race against CPS who has lots of really good Irish 2m form inc CD. Something which Nube Negra didn't have but I thought NN ran pretty well until the closing stages. Maybe NN prefers a sharper track like Kempton.

Echoes of Rain looks like yet another Mullins hot shot

Clan des Obeaux proved he is top class staying chaser outside of Cheltenham. Was that a boost to Secret Investor? ABP ran another highly creditable race. Fakir looks like a non stayer at 3m and Kemboy seems out of sorts.
Did CdO give his true running in the 2020 King George? It looks as if Nicholls will have another strong hand in the 2021 KG. It will be interesting to see the relative prices of Frodon and CdO if they both run. Will there be any Irish challengers? Frodon only just beat .Mister Fisher LTO but I noticed the tendency to jump right wasn't there.

The Mullins juggernaut continues with a back to form (after 2 years!) Klassical Dream. I wonder if Captain Guinness will prove he was unlucky at Leopardstown and upset Energumene.
 
Last edited:
Has Willie said what the plan is next season for Klassical Dream?
 
Has Willie said what the plan is next season for Klassical Dream?

He said it's too late to go chasing so Stayers it is I'd imagine after that. Good news for any Galopin De Champ fans out there . I think there might be one or two.
 
Has Willie said what the plan is next season for Klassical Dream?

Patrick Mullins post-race: "I can't say I'm that surprised as he's a high-class horse. I know he hadn't run in a long time but he was going to run at Christmas but got a small setback and it was too late to go chasing."

Stayers Hurdle it is?
 
Patrick Mullins post-race: "I can't say I'm that surprised as he's a high-class horse. I know he hadn't run in a long time but he was going to run at Christmas but got a small setback and it was too late to go chasing."

Stayers Hurdle it is?

sure he meant too late to go chasing this season after the setback?
 
Pure Genius was disappointing, hopefully we can put it down to the end of a long season.
 
Pure Genius was disappointing, hopefully we can put it down to the end of a long season.

I've said that about 4 or 5 of mine so far:welcoming: Probably be saying it about Honeysuckle and Bob Ollinger this time tomorrow ! Amazing how few of Mullins Have been affected by the long season. Gets on my nerves that genius :onthego: