• HELP US - Become a Patron - Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated ... a small donation each month would be a huge contribution. Become a Patron!

General Chat

Both Heart Wood and Romeo Colio entered in the Betvictor Champ Chase at Down Royal on 31st Oct

Staring the season over 3m for both is interesting re the seasons campaign and seasons end goals…..
 
I’m looking for some advice from you successful book builders.
I’ve never done one before but have always wanted to give it a try, I’ve decided this is the year and have identified the champion chase as the race to start. At the moment I’m trying to get Il etait temps and kopeck des bordes on side with small roll ups (Il etait more so as I don’t want to get too involved with kopeck until I see a chase entry) and have backed Kargese 10/1 and Mirabad 66/1…………. My questions are should I be backing each way? It seems an obvious race this year for a 5 or 6 runner race!? And with the doubts of Majborough, jonbon, marine, lulamba actually running in the race should I be leaving them until they yield a positive result over 2 miles and take the shorter price?

Any advice greatly appreciated
I wouldn't personally back each way at this stage unless they have little other option's as Spring festival targets and if fit are likely to run no matter what, and even then it'd have to be around 20-1 or above, or be obviously overpriced for some reason I determined.

But if you strongly feel that it may be less than 8 runners next year, then it makes sense to go each way.
In the last 12 runnings there had been 8 renewals with 8 or more runners.
Of the four that were less than 8, these were all in the last 7 renewals, so the recent stats are in your favour.

Everyone knows my opinion of "roll ups". They are muggy and 99% of the time punters are just fooling themselves with these.
It's even more of a fool's errand at this stage of the season.
I'm more forgiving/understanding of these bets the nearer we are to the festival, as the chances of getting a run for your money are better, and the gaps you have in your books are much more defined. For example you may spend time and money trying to get 3 horses in the book in October but by February, only one of them is still realistically a threat to your book.

IMO
They give a false sense of value.
The odds are almost always against you in one way or another. (value on either leg, or the combined odds)
Any successful attempts and the perceived value they provide is quite obviously negated with losing attempts, which are inevitable, although often forgotten about :rolleyes:
The money and time spent trying to cover horses that are never a factor (don't turn up for a variety of reasons) come March, also adds to the negation of perceived value in successful attempts that do give you a run for your money.

In many ways, betting ante-post and how much success you have in the end, is as much about not losing money along the way as it is the results on the week itself.
Basically don't piss too much money away along the journey.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Prestbury and Eggs
…..I’ve posted Nicholls ‘horses to follow’ in Stable Tours thread.

Quite a few stable tours today :)
 
Has anyone received thier Cheltenham Members badge yet? (For those who have ordered)
I have received mine. I called them last week to see when they were coming out and they said they were being sent out in October and lo and behold it arrived a couple of days later.
 
  • Like
Reactions: The hill
But if you strongly feel that it may be less than 8 runners next year, then it makes sense to go each way.
In the last 12 runnings there had been 8 renewals with 8 or more runners.
Of the four that were less than 8, these were all in the last 7 renewals, so the recent stats are in your favour.
Safe as houses doing this in October, but do this a week before decs when there's a chance the race will cut up and bookies will be onto you, they hate this and will restrict/close you in no time....
 
Safe as houses doing this in October, but do this a week before decs when there's a chance the race will cut up and bookies will be onto you, they hate this and will restrict/close you in no time....
Last couple of years, a few bookies have already pre-empted potential fields closer to the time and cut the antepost each way to 2 places. Shit houses. They want to have their cake and eat it all there is no doubt about that. Hardly any fairness or competition from them any more, they just want to empty your wallet whilst skirting as close as they can to rules and tradition.
 
Same mate. We must be blacklisted for being too good looking
If you go on his website homepage there's a contact us section where you put your name, email and phone number, and leave a message. He always replies and will most likely send you the digital edition while checking your order has been sent. His customer service is usually excellent unlike the Royal Mail.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Yosser
If you go on his website homepage there's a contact us section where you put your name, email and phone number, and leave a message. He always replies and will most likely send you the digital edition while checking your order has been sent. His customer service is usually excellent unlike the Royal Mail.
Cheers Black Dog. I know it's nothing to do with Mark and he is probably tearing his hair out with the ineptitude of Royal Mail. I will leave it until tomorrow. Got another next day delivery ordered for tomorrow in the hope i can force it through. I don't think there are any novices or juveniles that have passed me by this year but OJA is easily the best and i just enjoy reading it for what it is anyway.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Black Dog
Cheers Black Dog. I know it's nothing to do with Mark and he is probably tearing his hair out with the ineptitude of Royal Mail. I will leave it until tomorrow. Got another next day delivery ordered for tomorrow in the hope i can force it through. I don't think there are any novices or juveniles that have passed me by this year but OJA is easily the best and i just enjoy reading it for what it is anyway.
I think hes knows we are a pair of right twats dude 🤣
And sweet FA today.
 
  • Haha
Reactions: Yosser
I've just got a look on his site and he's stopped the PDFs as someone on X has been been forwarding on his work and it's being claimed as their own work/research. Solicitors are involved He's only got 200 copies of OJA left, so hope he's already sent yours @Yosser & @somer1 and it's the Royal Snailmail to blame
 
  • Wow
Reactions: Yosser
I've just got a look on his site and he's stopped the PDFs as someone on X has been been forwarding on his work and it's being claimed as their own work/research. Solicitors are involved He's only got 200 copies of OJA left, so hope he's already sent yours @Yosser & @somer1 and it's the Royal Snailmail to blame
Hopefully. Never been an issue before with ordering from his site.

Interesting. Does he know who has done it? I am out of the loop on Twitter. My account got indefinitely suspended. Apparently you are not allowed to call Kier Starmer a treacherous nonce. Who knew 🤷‍♂️
 
I don't know for certain,but I got the impression he knew who was responsible.
I've seen far worse comments on X about Sir Kweir than that. 😆👏
 
  • Haha
Reactions: Yosser