• HELP US - Become a Patron - Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated ... a small donation each month would be a huge contribution. Become a Patron!

General Chat

Been looking at the Champion hurdle market today.
I've already backed

Idaho Sun 1pt 33-1
Mydaddypaddy 1pt 14-1
King Rasko Grey 1pt 25-1
Talk the Talk 0.5pt 200+

Not sure I'll back anything else for now, and will cover Lossiemouth at some point.
But my main point in this comment is related to Mullins and his relative lack of options in some of the markets next year.

I'd be amazed if he goes into this season with just one serious grade 1 open hurdler (Lossie)

Apart from the fact she can't run in all of the grade 1's, if she also gets a knock then he's letting some serious prizes go astray to other trainers.

So, with this in mind, I think at least 1 of the following will start off the season in Hurdle company.

King Rasko Grey,
Kopek des Bordes (could obviously revert at some point if needed)
Narciso Has.

Obviously Willie might not get much say in what Narciso Has does, but I think he may well be wanting to persuade JP to let this one go hurdling. But he's unlikely to be too disappointed if he goes the arkle route.

If he does get his way with Narciso, as he's a 4yr old still, then I think Willie will still favour one of the others going hurdling also.

It makes most sense to me that King Rasko Grey (I've backed for arkle and C Hurdle) stays hurdling, but it will leave him short of arkle contenders, so this may well hinge on Narciso Has.

If he ends up short of 2 mile novice chasers then He's on Fire could go for the 2 mile races but then he'll be short in the 3 mile division.

In fact he's pretty sparse with serious challengers in a few of the grade 1's at this stage. This will without doubt be upmost in his thinking when deciding season targets for his novice hurdlers from last season.

We will need to be quick on the draw once we start hearing news of intentions for some of these.

It'll have a knock on effect on some of his other less talked about/forgotten horses - especially for the Brown Advisory,
Horses like .......

Laurets Destruval (bred for chasing)
Doctor Steinberg
Sortudo (also got decent breeding for staying chaser)

This musing led me to cover He's On Fire for the arkle (already backed months ago for the BA)
And sortudo and Doctor S for the browns on the exchange.

Thinking costs money :rolleyes:

I'm going to go and watch Bobby Fingers now.(y)

Good points. The other Mullins horse who could end up in the Champion Hurdle might be Majborough. Can't jump well enough for 2m. Potentially too keen to step up. Champion Hurdle campaign might end up making sense. Obviously more JPs call than Mullins but stranger things have happened and if anything happened to Lossiemouth it might make sense for everyone.
 
Been looking at the Champion hurdle market today.
I've already backed

Idaho Sun 1pt 33-1
Mydaddypaddy 1pt 14-1
King Rasko Grey 1pt 25-1
Talk the Talk 0.5pt 200+

Not sure I'll back anything else for now, and will cover Lossiemouth at some point.
But my main point in this comment is related to Mullins and his relative lack of options in some of the markets next year.

I'd be amazed if he goes into this season with just one serious grade 1 open hurdler (Lossie)

Apart from the fact she can't run in all of the grade 1's, if she also gets a knock then he's letting some serious prizes go astray to other trainers.

So, with this in mind, I think at least 1 of the following will start off the season in Hurdle company.

King Rasko Grey,
Kopek des Bordes (could obviously revert at some point if needed)
Narciso Has.

Obviously Willie might not get much say in what Narciso Has does, but I think he may well be wanting to persuade JP to let this one go hurdling. But he's unlikely to be too disappointed if he goes the arkle route.

If he does get his way with Narciso, as he's a 4yr old still, then I think Willie will still favour one of the others going hurdling also.

It makes most sense to me that King Rasko Grey (I've backed for arkle and C Hurdle) stays hurdling, but it will leave him short of arkle contenders, so this may well hinge on Narciso Has.

If he ends up short of 2 mile novice chasers then He's on Fire could go for the 2 mile races but then he'll be short in the 3 mile division.

In fact he's pretty sparse with serious challengers in a few of the grade 1's at this stage. This will without doubt be upmost in his thinking when deciding season targets for his novice hurdlers from last season.

We will need to be quick on the draw once we start hearing news of intentions for some of these.

It'll have a knock on effect on some of his other less talked about/forgotten horses - especially for the Brown Advisory,
Horses like .......

Laurets Destruval (bred for chasing)
Doctor Steinberg
Sortudo (also got decent breeding for staying chaser)

This musing led me to cover He's On Fire for the arkle (already backed months ago for the BA)
And sortudo and Doctor S for the browns on the exchange.

Thinking costs money :rolleyes:

I'm going to go and watch Bobby Fingers now.(y)
They have said apolon de charnie and selma de vary are both staying hurdling. I know those two arent as high profile as narciso so people probably think they'll have to keep another one over hurdles too, but really on form theres nothing to say the two of them arent better than narciso.

If there was another to be kept to hurdles, narciso probably would make the most sense, since its a common thing to do to give them another year over hurdles as a juvenile as they have plenty of time for chasing, and also in narciso case especially, you couldn't say we've seen the limit of what he can achieve over hurdles. Whereas with King rasko, he's that bit older, and imo we've probably seen enough of him over hurdles to know he's good but probably not going to be a lossiemouth or state man level hurdler, so maybe better off cracking on over fences and seeing what he can do.
 
Someone mentioned Saratoga for the ch. hdl , a while ago , another possible ??.,.
I see an entry for oct 11th.
2m 7f , on the flat. - handicap race.
 
Mares hurdle looks to be the plan...

….10-1 MH but 7-1 a/r with Hills might be tempting (I know she’s been mentioned as a County Hurdle type). I actually put her in an a/r double at 121-1 (boosted) with He’s on Fire.
 
Mares hurdle looks to be the plan...
Yeah wasnt talking about cheltenham as such, more about the other hurdle races in the lead up to cheltenham that lossiemouth doesnt run in. Could see selma and apolon running in races like the fighting fifth or that race on trials day that new lion won last year.
 
Someone mentioned Saratoga for the ch. hdl , a while ago , another possible ??.,.
I see an entry for oct 11th.
2m 7f , on the flat. - handicap race.
Saratoga may affect the narciso decision for sure
 
Yeah wasnt talking about cheltenham as such, more about the other hurdle races in the lead up to cheltenham that lossiemouth doesnt run in. Could see selma and apolon running in races like the fighting fifth or that race on trials day that new lion won last year.
Mullins might change tack with those but he often leaves the 4yr olds off till the new year. So I’d discount them to a certain degree for now
And Selma especially so.
Narciso would be campaigned differently if hurdling as JP would have his own ideas
 
Leader D'Allier and Anzadam also 2 that could come into here. I would expect both to be campaigned over fences. Whether good enough or not though....
 
Henderson has recently stated that lulamba will likely run in the king George after jango has been ruled out. Does anything think he will actually turn up though ? Same owners have kitzbuhel (who won at kempton last Christmas) and isn't a very Henderson thing to do to throw a 5 year old into 3 mile championship races
 
Ref the King George. My theory. I don't think Willie will bring Gaelic Warrior over. He has one objective/target for this season and that is the Gold Cup. His season will be completely focused on the Gold Cup.

Jango Baie and The Jukebox Man are ruled out. My thinking is Kitzbuhel, Lulamba and Romeo Coolio will all run. Kitzbuhel will win because he is a proven 3 miler and proven at Kempton which will result in him going to the Gold Cup and both Lulamba and Romeo Coolio will end up the Ryanair. I think both have a great chance too. If they can't beat him over 3 miles at Kempton they are not going to beat him over 3m2 at Cheltenham. I also think Banbridge at 25/1 is a very good EW bet for the King George.

End result of my King George related theory is a Yankee to include :

King George - Kitzbuhel
Ryanair - Lulamba
Gold Cup - Gaelic Warrior
Grand National - Jordans

Jordans is in there because I really fancy him for the National.

PS. This is definitely not my October Yankee !!! :) Just my thoughts after a couple of lunchtime Stella's.......🤷‍♂️
 
Lunchtime Stella's. Jesus tonight. How the other afe live. I was supping 60p coffee out of the machine at work.

On a serious note. I have just been to Hills on the way home. Noticed they have cut Narciso Has in the Arkle from 16s to 12s. He was going to form a roll up this weekend. Will have to be Laddies.

Oh and I hope you are right about Kitzbuhel. That would be a nice Christmas prezzie. Though I have a good hand in the race so looking forward to it regardless. Gaelic Warrior can piss off though. Stay in Ireland you brilliantly freakish specimen
 
They have said apolon de charnie and selma de vary are both staying hurdling. I know those two arent as high profile as narciso so people probably think they'll have to keep another one over hurdles too, but really on form theres nothing to say the two of them arent better than narciso.

If there was another to be kept to hurdles, narciso probably would make the most sense, since its a common thing to do to give them another year over hurdles as a juvenile as they have plenty of time for chasing, and also in narciso case especially, you couldn't say we've seen the limit of what he can achieve over hurdles. Whereas with King rasko, he's that bit older, and imo we've probably seen enough of him over hurdles to know he's good but probably not going to be a lossiemouth or state man level hurdler, so maybe better off cracking on over fences and seeing what he can do.


Could be way off here but Apolon De Charnie strikes me as a horse that was completely laid out for the Triumph straight away as soon as they got him. How good he actually is in terms of being top, top level I don't know. I think it was Willies way of sticking 2 fingers up at the BHA for the Poniros rule.
 
Ref the King George. My theory. I don't think Willie will bring Gaelic Warrior over. He has one objective/target for this season and that is the Gold Cup. His season will be completely focused on the Gold Cup.

Jango Baie and The Jukebox Man are ruled out. My thinking is Kitzbuhel, Lulamba and Romeo Coolio will all run. Kitzbuhel will win because he is a proven 3 miler and proven at Kempton which will result in him going to the Gold Cup and both Lulamba and Romeo Coolio will end up the Ryanair. I think both have a great chance too. If they can't beat him over 3 miles at Kempton they are not going to beat him over 3m2 at Cheltenham. I also think Banbridge at 25/1 is a very good EW bet for the King George.

End result of my King George related theory is a Yankee to include :

King George - Kitzbuhel
Ryanair - Lulamba
Gold Cup - Gaelic Warrior
Grand National - Jordans

Jordans is in there because I really fancy him for the National.

PS. This is definitely not my October Yankee !!! :) Just my thoughts after a couple of lunchtime Stella's.......🤷‍♂️i
I think you may have this game nailed on my lad ....

Only worry with kitzbuhel is that he is a front runner and may need a soft lead... But hopefully not as he could be too good for them in the king George
 
  • Like
Reactions: BuckingThe Trend