• HELP US - Become a Patron - Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated ... a small donation each month would be a huge contribution. Become a Patron!

2023 Novice Hurdlers

​Paddy Power Future Champions Novice Hurdle (Grade 1)

Facile Vega
Irish Point
Ashore Diamond
Imagine
Path D'oroux
Itswhatunitesus
Amir Kabir
II Etait Temps
Intranet

Do we think Irish Point runs in this?

I feel it will be a fair test for Facile Vega if we see this race with Irish Point in. What's the general consensus?
 
I’m aware this is of little interest to anyone but I’m exercising my freedom of speech rights :biggrin-new:...he got given 137 could have won by chunks more (at least mid 140s)and still room to improve his hurdling (dived at a couple) with connections saying he is still a work in progress so plenty of upside to come imo . RPR 8 higher than the front two in the market ....obviously there are million reasons why we’d conclude he isn’t up to their standard...but this fella has been available in the 500s on the exchange.

Sometimes it’s refreshing to chew the fat on something different rather than regurgitating variations on the same themes(albeit understandably justified) ....even if I am doing it on my own.:biggrin-new:

To save you from just talking to yourself, I went and read his entry in One Jump Ahead - Skelton says he has a good attitude, will start out over 2 miles but plans to step him up at some point. Not much to go on there really, but if he's good, would Dan not potentially keep him back for aintree anyway?
 
​Paddy Power Future Champions Novice Hurdle (Grade 1)

Facile Vega
Irish Point
Ashore Diamond
Imagine
Path D'oroux
Itswhatunitesus
Amir Kabir
II Etait Temps
Intranet

Do we think Irish Point runs in this?

I feel it will be a fair test for Facile Vega if we see this race with Irish Point in. What's the general consensus?

Honestly, I think it's a pretty poor renewal.

I don't think there are many Irish challengers for Facile Vega though tbh.

No idea if they will run Irish Point or not, but I can't see him getting close to FV anyway.

Wouldn't surprise me if Willie ends up with a 1-2-3 in the Supreme :devilish::highly_amused:
 
  • Like
Reactions: CJW
I’m aware this is of little interest to anyone but I’m exercising my freedom of speech rights :biggrin-new:...he got given 137 could have won by chunks more (at least mid 140s)and still room to improve his hurdling (dived at a couple) with connections saying he is still a work in progress so plenty of upside to come imo . RPR 8 higher than the front two in the market ....obviously there are million reasons why we’d conclude he isn’t up to their standard...but this fella has been available in the 500s on the exchange.

Sometimes it’s refreshing to chew the fat on something different rather than regurgitating variations on the same themes(albeit understandably justified) ....even if I am doing it on my own.:biggrin-new:

Fair play to you. Nice to see someone thinking outside of the box unlike the rest of us sheep!
 
Honestly, I think it's a pretty poor renewal.

I don't think there are many Irish challengers for Facile Vega though tbh.

No idea if they will run Irish Point or not, but I can't see him getting close to FV anyway.

Wouldn't surprise me if Willie ends up with a 1-2-3 in the Supreme :devilish::highly_amused:

Agree, we'll not learn anymore other than he can jump and gallop at a decent pace. Will be sure to go off odds on in March though when his real test will come.
 
I’m aware this is of little interest to anyone but I’m exercising my freedom of speech rights :biggrin-new:...he got given 137 could have won by chunks more (at least mid 140s)and still room to improve his hurdling (dived at a couple) with connections saying he is still a work in progress so plenty of upside to come imo . RPR 8 higher than the front two in the market ....obviously there are million reasons why we’d conclude he isn’t up to their standard...but this fella has been available in the 500s on the exchange.

Sometimes it’s refreshing to chew the fat on something different rather than regurgitating variations on the same themes(albeit understandably justified) ....even if I am doing it on my own.:biggrin-new:

Not on your own anymore. Good write up and I’m joining in.
 
To save you from just talking to yourself, I went and read his entry in One Jump Ahead - Skelton says he has a good attitude, will start out over 2 miles but plans to step him up at some point. Not much to go on there really, but if he's good, would Dan not potentially keep him back for aintree anyway?

Appreciate the gesture TH. Quite possible he will step up in trip and he has been available in the 400s for the ballymore. He already is good...if you need convincing and haven’t already done so, watch the Ludlow replay and judge for yourself. The rpr is fully justified and could easily have been higher . And yes he could end up at aintree.

My post was as much an adjective to illustrate that things are still going on outside of our main centres of attention.
 
  • Like
Reactions: That Horse
​Paddy Power Future Champions Novice Hurdle (Grade 1)

Facile Vega
Irish Point
Ashore Diamond
Imagine
Path D'oroux
Itswhatunitesus
Amir Kabir
II Etait Temps
Intranet

Do we think Irish Point runs in this?

I feel it will be a fair test for Facile Vega if we see this race with Irish Point in. What's the general consensus?

Personally I think Irish Point has gone under the radar somewhat. The form of his last run in France has worked out very well with the 2nd becoming a very useful animal for Tom George in France. In the Royal Bond I really liked his attitude and the way he attacked his hurdles in the later stages of the race. I thought he showed a game attitude only going down a head, something that will stand him in good stead; you need a horse that finds something off the bridle to win a Supreme which more often than not is a test of stamina not necessarily speed. I could quite easily see there being more improvement in him, especially with Gordon starting his out a bit slower this season.

The form for me looks solid enough, we have a great yard stick to go through. Brazil is rated 142 and Champ Kiely laughed him off in his previous start. It was a truly run grade 1 (sometimes the bond can be a bit messy) and I think the first 4 home are all good animals. I also wouldn't give up on Champ Kiely, he ran quite keen throughout and think he could be marked up a bit.

In summary, I think you could find worse bets in the Supreme and if you haven't played Irish Point yet taking a fraction of a point on the exchanges at 55's isn't the worst idea. I'm actually quite shocked he's that big in truth. In my eye's he'd look to be Gordon's main hope and all being well Gordon's main hope probably won't be 50/1 on the day.
 
  • Like
Reactions: CJW
​Paddy Power Future Champions Novice Hurdle (Grade 1)

Facile Vega
Irish Point
Ashore Diamond
Imagine
Path D'oroux
Itswhatunitesus
Amir Kabir
II Etait Temps
Intranet

Do we think Irish Point runs in this?

I feel it will be a fair test for Facile Vega if we see this race with Irish Point in. What's the general consensus?

I think Irish Point could be a runner now. Enough time to get over his last race. He lacks experience compared to those that had bumper campaigns. I think he wants better ground too which he could get.
 
Honestly, I think it's a pretty poor renewal.

I don't think there are many Irish challengers for Facile Vega though tbh.

No idea if they will run Irish Point or not, but I can't see him getting close to FV anyway.

Wouldn't surprise me if Willie ends up with a 1-2-3 in the Supreme :devilish::highly_amused:

Do you think anyone is going to give FV a race this season, even anything else from Willies?
 
Do you think anyone is going to give FV a race this season, even anything else from Willies?

Probably not mate, no.

But I'm not convinced by Irish Point still. I've backed him, cashed out, backed him and finally cashed out again. If I can't make up my mind, which clearly I can't, I'll just leave him unbacked.
 
We all seem to already be treating FV like a superstar. He still needs to prove it on the track. His bumper runs were good but the ones in behind haven't looked brilliant this year.

His bumper RPR was lower than Kilcruit, same as Ferny Hollow and slightly higher than Sir Gerhard / Appreciate It and I can't remember anyone treating them like they'd be unbeatable as novice hurdlers. Plenty more racing to be done before we crown him IMO.
 
We all seem to already be treating FV like a superstar. He still needs to prove it on the track. His bumper runs were good but the ones in behind haven't looked brilliant this year.

His bumper RPR was lower than Kilcruit, same as Ferny Hollow and slightly higher than Sir Gerhard / Appreciate It and I can't remember anyone treating them like they'd be unbeatable as novice hurdlers. Plenty more racing to be done before we crown him IMO.

We'll only find out at Cheltenham, not before.
 
Nice to see Kalanisi Star with an entry for the 3m grade 2 at Limerick to go with his Lawlors entry. The Limerick race has been a good trial for Albert Bartlett types down the years with Martello Tower, Penhill & Fury Road: all on the honours list. Vanilier was a close second to Farouk D’alene too before going on to win the AB.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: JamieSensible
https://www.irishracing.com/racecards/Thu-29th-Dec-2022/Limerick/1330

interesting entries for the grade 2 for 4yr olds.
Vauban and Gaelic W plus others

Possible gaelic runs there and grangeclare west goes lawlors of naas

I'd say the Moscow flyer is also a possible for gaelic warrior

Willie likes to send a good one to the Moscow flyer and the trip would be too short for grangeclare west and vega you'd imagine will go to both the christmas and DRF leopardstown 2 mile grade 1s
 
Possible gaelic runs there and grangeclare west goes lawlors of naas

I'd say the Moscow flyer is also a possible for gaelic warrior

Willie likes to send a good one to the Moscow flyer and the trip would be too short for grangeclare west and vega you'd imagine will go to both the christmas and DRF leopardstown 2 mile grade 1s

Impaire et Passe may be the Moscow Flyer horse per connections yesterday.
 
Impaire et Passe may be the Moscow Flyer horse per connections yesterday.

That's interesting. If memory serves from last years Dysart Dynamo discussions, isn't a Moscow Flyer run usually the path to the Supreme as opposed to the Ballymore?
 
That's interesting. If memory serves from last years Dysart Dynamo discussions, isn't a Moscow Flyer run usually the path to the Supreme as opposed to the Ballymore?

I've just watched it back and he does strike me as a speedy type. I'd say Supreme over Ballymore at this stage.
 
Impaire et Passe may be the Moscow Flyer horse per connections yesterday.

Could be yes

I don't see Willie running both gaelic and grangeclare in the lawlors of naas

And with grangeclare not being entered in the Limerick 3 mile grade 2 id think hes very likely to be running at naas