• HELP US - Become a Patron - Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated ... a small donation each month would be a huge contribution. Become a Patron!

2023 Novice Hurdlers

I think Hendos looking to give himself options. Doubt he’s ever been in position like this where his novice mares look so much stronger than his geldings. He’s made a point of saying he doesn’t think jet powered is good enough and firesteps bumper form is way behind what u’d expect from a supreme/ballymore winner.

People have already mentioned Luccia for the supreme if she were to win the Tolworth. Totally agree, but I think they’d have to win easily. If she were to scramble home, I doubt they’d fancy taking on facile vega.

Then I’m wondering what’s going on with between waters who was rumoured to be the best of his mares. She’s entered over nearly 2 and a half miles. Hendos never started any of his mares novice runners over that distance. He’s only ever had 1 horse run over that distance at all before the race and that was on her 6th start under rules. I’m wondering if she was to run here and win well would he be thinking about the ballymore for her and trying utilise the mares allowance. But at the same time I’m wondering if she’s just not as good as they initially thought and Cheltenham not even in the plans anymore
 
I think Hendos looking to give himself options. Doubt he’s ever been in position like this where his novice mares look so much stronger than his geldings. He’s made a point of saying he doesn’t think jet powered is good enough and firesteps bumper form is way behind what u’d expect from a supreme/ballymore winner.

People have already mentioned Luccia for the supreme if she were to win the Tolworth. Totally agree, but I think they’d have to win easily. If she were to scramble home, I doubt they’d fancy taking on facile vega.

Then I’m wondering what’s going on with between waters who was rumoured to be the best of his mares. She’s entered over nearly 2 and a half miles. Hendos never started any of his mares novice runners over that distance. He’s only ever had 1 horse run over that distance at all before the race and that was on her 6th start under rules. I’m wondering if she was to run here and win well would he be thinking about the ballymore for her and trying utilise the mares allowance. But at the same time I’m wondering if she’s just not as good as they initially thought and Cheltenham not even in the plans anymore

Not see a quote form Hendo saying he don’t think JP is good enough, could you help me find that?
 
Not see a quote form Hendo saying he don’t think JP is good enough, could you help me find that?

I think he means the quote where Hendo said he’s not as good as his previous novices yet. Quite an important difference as not being quite as good as Shishkin, Altior, and Con Hill doesn’t mean he’s still not very good.
 
Not see a quote form Hendo saying he don’t think JP is good enough, could you help me find that?

He just said he isn't at the level yet that how other star Supreme horses were at. It's a bit of a nothing comment and sometimes it's better to hear Hendo play them down, as he does with his good ones.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Studfarm254
Is there actually any chance Luccia goes to the Supreme, even if she wins the Tolworth? Henderson wants winners on the board and the MNH is a much easier race. The new course with it's extra stamina and slightly longer race will suit her as well. I'd say there's next to no chance she actually goes to the Supreme.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Kevloaf and Zachx02
I think he means the quote where Hendo said he’s not as good as his previous novices yet. Quite an important difference as not being quite as good as Shishkin, Altior, and Con Hill doesn’t mean he’s still not very good.

Ok, so basically he has not said he’s not good enough, just not at the level yet of some very serious horses he’s had.
Yes, a very important difference.
Unless of course you have seen another quote Studfarm?
 
Is there actually any chance Luccia goes to the Supreme, even if she wins the Tolworth? Henderson wants winners on the board and the MNH is a much easier race. The new course with it's extra stamina and slightly longer race will suit her as well. I'd say there's next to no chance she actually goes to the Supreme.

Well Hendo knows what it takes to have a horse good enough to win a Supreme.
If he think she’s good enough after winning the Tolworth, I think she’s a likely runner.
 
Is there actually any chance Luccia goes to the Supreme, even if she wins the Tolworth? Henderson wants winners on the board and the MNH is a much easier race. The new course with it's extra stamina and slightly longer race will suit her as well. I'd say there's next to no chance she actually goes to the Supreme.

I'd imagine the owners have had a good few quid on the mares novice as it's been the plan since she won that bumper by half the track

So I'd say it's pretty low the chances of her running in the Supreme

If she absolutely bolts up in the tolworth it may be considered I guess
 
I'd imagine the owners have had a good few quid on the mares novice as it's been the plan since she won that bumper by half the track

So I'd say it's pretty low the chances of her running in the Supreme

If she absolutely bolts up in the tolworth it may be considered I guess

Whose to say they have not had a few bob for the Supreme ?
Is she bolts up in the Tolworth, it will make them all think.
 
Henderson does have last year's second in Ahorsewithnoname who is going for the race again. That's a pretty decent standard set for a substitute bearing in mind Love Envoi 's impressive opening win this season against the boys.
 
Henderson does have last year's second in Ahorsewithnoname who is going for the race again. That's a pretty decent standard set for a substitute bearing in mind Love Envoi 's impressive opening win this season against the boys.

A third season novice with a win rate of 0% 0/6 runs over hurdles. James Du Berlais has a better win rate :devilish:
 
  • Like
Reactions: Lobos and Craigy14
Ok, so basically he has not said he’s not good enough, just not at the level yet of some very serious horses he’s had.
Yes, a very important difference.
Unless of course you have seen another quote Studfarm?

No apologies, that was just my take after reading what they’ve said above, as he’s probably going to have to be as good as those horses to beat facile imo. But as someone else mentioned too, hendo does like to play down his best horses, a very fair comment
 
  • Like
Reactions: Fouroverthrutwo
Has anything come out about Impose Toi for Henderson owned by JP? Was given a positive mention in his stable tour and OJA but not seen any entries so far
 
No apologies, that was just my take after reading what they’ve said above, as he’s probably going to have to be as good as those horses to beat facile imo. But as someone else mentioned too, hendo does like to play down his best horses, a very fair comment

No worries mate.
cheers for that.
 
It'd be unlike nicky to over face her at such a young age

But we will see

He already has though.
Listed race first time up.
Grade 1 with boys next up.

Grade 2 girls only with a penalty don't sound exciting after that, assuming she's won.

But it's Cheltenham, so the odds are she'd run in the girls novice.
 
No worries mate.
cheers for that.

Also his answer to the question who were his most exciting novices in the same blog:

"We have some beautiful novices going forward and quite a few to come out yet so it’s difficult to single one individual out, in fact it’s also unfair, but the likes of Jet Powered would come to mind and I must admit I was quite impressed with Attacca at Cheltenham last week because I didn’t think he’d be that high up the rankings at the start of the season.

Someone also asked about Luccia, and she would certainly fit into the above category. At this stage there’s not many better than her. She was forced to miss Ascot and I don’t know where she’ll go next but I’ve got a few things pencilled in."

​
 
Also his answer to the question who were his most exciting novices in the same blog:

"We have some beautiful novices going forward and quite a few to come out yet so it’s difficult to single one individual out, in fact it’s also unfair, but the likes of Jet Powered would come to mind and I must admit I was quite impressed with Attacca at Cheltenham last week because I didn’t think he’d be that high up the rankings at the start of the season.

Someone also asked about Luccia, and she would certainly fit into the above category. At this stage there’s not many better than her. She was forced to miss Ascot and I don’t know where she’ll go next but I’ve got a few things pencilled in."

​

Thank you, that’s much appreciated
 
Whose to say they have not had a few bob for the Supreme ?
Is she bolts up in the Tolworth, it will make them all think.

Authorized Speed will be a difficult task for her in the Tolworth. If she can beat him, she will be close to odds on for the Mares Novice probably.

They can then take on the geldings again at Aintree if a Cheltenham win is what they want.
 
Has anything come out about Impose Toi for Henderson owned by JP? Was given a positive mention in his stable tour and OJA but not seen any entries so far

He did have entries i think for over 2 and half, didn’t happen likely with the weather. Was on my radar as I thought he looked good in France. Fact he didn’t run in any of the 2m or even have entries he must not be near top the pile of novice hurdles for NH.

JP handicap awaits..
 
  • Like
Reactions: Bulldog