• HELP US - Become a Patron - Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated ... a small donation each month would be a huge contribution. Become a Patron!

2023 Novice Hurdlers

If he ends up going to the Lawlor's (Death Duty, Battleoverdoyen, Envoi Allen, Ginto) then chances are he skips the Dublin Racing Festival - those 4 all did. DD and Ginto ended up in the Bartlett, BOD + EA in the Ballymore.

Good point. Had forgotten about Naas.
 
Aslong as Facile stays unbeaten at 2m then surely he goes to the opener and that’s even with Willie as the trainer.

if Redemption Day was to to turn him over at DRF or wherever should they clash at 2m then that’s when FV may step up.

.....or if Henderson produces another superstar like Constitution Hill. Mullins will send FV to the easiest race he can win as he always does as per SG last season.
Redemption Day is one of the few Mullins Novice Hurdlers I've not backed. I can only see him going Supreme but I think the ground on the opening day will sadly be against him whatever the weather and he'll find 2/3 that will outstay him. He's one for the other festivals unless he turns out to be Mullins County horse.
 
.....or if Henderson produces another superstar like Constitution Hill. Mullins will send FV to the easiest race he can win as he always does as per SG last season.
Redemption Day is one of the few Mullins Novice Hurdlers I've not backed. I can only see him going Supreme but I think the ground on the opening day will sadly be against him whatever the weather and he'll find 2/3 that will outstay him. He's one for the other festivals unless he turns out to be Mullins County horse.

Surely sg went to the ballymore because Willie wanted to split up him and dysart dynamo not because of constitution hill
 
Surely sg went to the ballymore because Willie wanted to split up him and dysart dynamo not because of constitution hill

I do think he went there because the Ballymore was more winnable and he trusted Sir G more to bring home the bacon. 1 winner was better than none. Mullins way of thinking.
 
I do think he went there because the Ballymore was more winnable and he trusted Sir G more to bring home the bacon. 1 winner was better than none. Mullins way of thinking.

He will surely have wanted to split them though

And since DD is a complete nutter He could only really send SG to the ballymore out of the two
 
He will surely have wanted to split them though

And since DD is a complete nutter He could only really send SG to the ballymore out of the two

Yes. SG of the two was the only one who'd win the Ballymore. Mullins was aware neither of his would beat CH.
 
Yes. SG of the two was the only one who'd win the Ballymore. Mullins was aware neither of his would beat CH.

Sir G to the Ballymore decision was probably helped that he didnt jump fluently at the DRF over 2miles than taking on CH as that horse was all about potential like all novices.
 
Sir G to the Ballymore decision was probably helped that he didnt jump fluently at the DRF over 2miles than taking on CH as that horse was all about potential like all novices.

Yep. Ballymore was his and Mullins best chance of winning with CH about. Seems obvious now but not at the time !
 
Not a Novice, but does anyone have any knowledge on the Gordon Elliot 3yo Bestaline? Due to run on Tuesday and I'm wondering whether to take the 33s on offer.

Also keeping an eye on bridgehead in the same race for a potential handicap next spring.

If anyone has any inside knowledge on either it would be much appreciated.
 
Last edited:
Not a Novice, but does anyone have any knowledge on the Gordon Elliot 3yo Bestaline? Due to run on Tuesday and I'm wondering whether to take the 33s on offer.

Also keeping an eye on bridgehead in the same race for a potential handicap next spring.

If anyone has any inside knowledge on either it would be much appreciated.

One winning run in France in May. I stuck a couple of free bets on him for the Triumph before he runs Tuesday. Can't tell you anything other than he's won on debut though.
 
  • Like
Reactions: JamieSensible
Not a Novice, but does anyone have any knowledge on the Gordon Elliot 3yo Bestaline? Due to run on Tuesday and I'm wondering whether to take the 33s on offer.

Also keeping an eye on bridgehead in the same race for a potential handicap next spring.

If anyone has any inside knowledge on either it would be much appreciated.

Not inside knowledge but purchased by Tom Malone purchaser of triumph winner Quilixios for the trainer from France 24 months prior (also purchased that years 2nd Adagio).

obviously no guarantee of success & he buys lots of horses but a slight intrigue, as is the fact he makes his bow lever here in the same race as Quilixios although again I am sure that means little if anything, Down Royal entry is the one to look out for but the price could have gone if he wins well in Punchestown by then!
 
ToniC that's a cracking little bit of information, even if it's not something necessarily telling us about the horse itself, it's particularly interesting that Quilixios link. I'd seen on here about the race planning and the fact that Quilixios won this race but didn't realise who had bought him. I did have more reasoning for deciding I think Bestaline was the one to monitor for Gordon in the upcoming race but I'm stumped to what it was now. Maybe I'm blinded with obsession for finding Gordon's triumph horse :biggrin-new:
 
  • Like
Reactions: ToniC
Marine Nationale declared for the 2m maiden at Punchestown on Wednesday.
 
Marine Nationale declared for the 2m maiden at Punchestown on Wednesday.

Obviously a big prospect and one for B.Connell can be very excited , but I do find it very 'interesting' (for want of a better word) that the smaller trainers can't wait to run their big prospects. Nothing wrong with it and of course if he is sound then why not, but first decent card in Ireland of the season and he has him out! Interesting
 
Obviously a big prospect and one for B.Connell can be very excited , but I do find it very 'interesting' (for want of a better word) that the smaller trainers can't wait to run their big prospects. Nothing wrong with it and of course if he is sound then why not, but first decent card in Ireland of the season and he has him out! Interesting

I think it's probably something to do with avoiding Willie's !.
I'd imagine Gordon and other's has them readier earlier most of the time to avoid Willie's and pick up some early season maidens and minor graded races. Especially if the horses aren't too ground dependent.
Basically running scared of Willie's until the Big Willie runners are unleashed in late November/December.
Then you may also have a fitness or experience edge by this stage, to take on Willie's big ones.
 
I think it's probably something to do with avoiding Willie's !.
I'd imagine Gordon and other's has them readier earlier most of the time to avoid Willie's and pick up some early season maidens and minor graded races. Especially if the horses aren't too ground dependent.
Basically running scared of Willie's until the Big Willie runners are unleashed in late November/December.
Then you may also have a fitness or experience edge by this stage, to take on Willie's big ones.

All you were missing from that is ‘Willie’s waiting for it to turn soft’.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Quevega
Marine Nationale declared for the 2m maiden at Punchestown on Wednesday.

OOooh I need to sort my tracker out for all these billions of novice hurdlers mentioned as I'm scanning through :onthego:


You like this one CoD? Might need a nudge from you Wednesday morning or I'll forget :rugby:
 
OOooh I need to sort my tracker out for all these billions of novice hurdlers mentioned as I'm scanning through :onthego:


You like this one CoD? Might need a nudge from you Wednesday morning or I'll forget :rugby:

He's not top of my list tbh mate. I've backed him for any race and Ballymore only, at this stage.

I think other members of the forum are sweeter on him than myself, but still one to get on the team :encouragement:
 
  • Like
Reactions: SamuelP and Kevloaf