• HELP US - Become a Patron - Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated ... a small donation each month would be a huge contribution. Become a Patron!

2023 Browns Advisory Novices Chase (formerly RSA)

  • Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 4957
  • Start date Start date
I may be crazy but I think Bronn is quite overpriced for either this or JLT, 3 lengths of Gerri earlier in the season, then had to show guts to beat a horse who has since gone in fairly nicely, jumping needs to improve but he’s in the right place for that and at 33/1 NRNB, could be a ew punt if he goes

Yeah, 33 nrnb is ok,and it’s not crazy imo as it’s not the best renewal.
Even if you are crazy, you ain’t alone.
People think I’m crazy for fancying the Challow winner in the Ballymore.
I am a bit crazy at times, but not for that reason imo.
:biggrin-new:
 
Yeah, 33 nrnb is ok,and it’s not crazy imo as it’s not the best renewal.
Even if you are crazy, you ain’t alone.
People think I’m crazy for fancying the Challow winner in the Ballymore.
I am a bit crazy at times, but not for that reason imo.
:biggrin-new:

I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane
 
Ground got to start becoming a concern for Gerri backers? Certainly has me less convinced
 
Ground got to start becoming a concern for Gerri backers? Certainly has me less convinced

I think the ground concerns have been overplayed myself.

He's only been allowed to race once on Good/Soft and he won the Scilly Isles in the process.
 
I don’t get the ground chat for Gerri. I’ve taken it that he has always been able run on G/S however in the past they may have avoided it because of his recovery time. He ran on good at Thurles last year and his season was done. I believe he is a different, more matured horse now which is why Gordon isn’t bothered by ground. He won a Scilly Isles on good to soft over a short trip when they thought he was a NHC horse. Really can’t get my head around why people think he’s a mudlark.
 
I don’t get the ground chat for Gerri. I’ve taken it that he has always been able run on G/S however in the past they may have avoided it because of his recovery time. He ran on good at Thurles last year and his season was done. I believe he is a different, more matured horse now which is why Gordon isn’t bothered by ground. He won a Scilly Isles on good to soft over a short trip when they thought he was a NHC horse. Really can’t get my head around why people think he’s a mudlark.

The reason is because people have kept repeating it.
Some human beings are particularly susceptible to hearing something often enough they then believe it to be true.
Some human beings practise this repetition to push their agenda.
It's called the Illusion of Truth.
Best example is religion.
Followed closely by trainers talking about the ground their horses prefer.:highly_amused:
 
Followed closely by trainers talking about the ground their horses prefer.:highly_amused:

In fairness to Gordo, Gordy, Gordon, Potato, he initially made noise about the ground for Gerri (based on last seasons run at Thurles), but more recently, in his ATR Stable Tour he said the following "I’m not worried about the ground as long as it’s safe".

I don't think it will be an issue for him, and certainly hope it won't be :encouragement:
 
In fairness to Gordo, Gordy, Gordon, Potato, he initially made noise about the ground for Gerri (based on last seasons run at Thurles), but more recently, in his ATR Stable Tour he said the following "I’m not worried about the ground as long as it’s safe".

When did we last get unsafe ground ?
Bit of a pointless comment that from Elliott, I mean there's a ridiculous amount of pressure from many sides relating to horse safety and wellbeing, it would take something way out the ordinary for there to be safety issues.

It was only about 20 years ago the course had no irrigation, races were regularly run on good to firm and even firm, trainers and owners never shied away for competition.
One of the greatest racehorses I've ever seen, Remittance Man, won a 25 runner firm ground bumper before his illustrious chasing career, 25 owners and trainers believed firm ground was safe, it is possible...
 
  • Like
Reactions: ComplyOrDie
When did we last get unsafe ground ?
Bit of a pointless comment that from Elliott, I mean there's a ridiculous amount of pressure from many sides relating to horse safety and wellbeing, it would take something way out the ordinary for there to be safety issues.

It was only about 20 years ago the course had no irrigation, races were regularly run on good to firm and even firm, trainers and owners never shied away for competition.
One of the greatest racehorses I've ever seen, Remittance Man, won a 25 runner firm ground bumper before his illustrious chasing career, 25 owners and trainers believed firm ground was safe, it is possible...

Yeah, I'm not sure why he had to use the word 'safe' tbh, it was not necessary at all. Could literally have called it how it is described, so either 'Good' or even 'Good/Soft'.
 
Anyone actually backed The Real Whacker here? Might have lost the plot (I've been in hospital for over 24hrs in my defence) but I'm starting to warm to him. Been watching the replays of the main runners here and he's a very impressive chaser, and the form ties in with the fav relatively well (if you choose to use Thunder Rock and not Monmiral).

Don't hear much love for him though. Which isn't surprising with connections and has hurdle form. Can't say he was one for my notebook last year!
 
Anyone actually backed The Real Whacker here? Might have lost the plot (I've been in hospital for over 24hrs in my defence) but I'm starting to warm to him. Been watching the replays of the main runners here and he's a very impressive chaser, and the form ties in with the fav relatively well (if you choose to use Thunder Rock and not Monmiral).

Don't hear much love for him though. Which isn't surprising with connections and has hurdle form. Can't say he was one for my notebook last year!

Was it a bang to the head, by any chance?

I'm only joking, I hope it's nothing serious mate :encouragement:

Personally, I just can't have him though. I know, a line through Thunder Rock would say he'd have a chance against Gerri, but Thunder Rock was given a dreadful ride that day, and another 200 yards gets up to win for me, whereas Thunder Rock was never beating Gerri, he had a chance to get past him but couldn't.

I feel The Real Whacker got away with one in the Dipper and think he'll be found out in this race. Would be a great story for connections though if he were to run a big race.
 
Was it a bang to the head, by any chance?

I'm only joking, I hope it's nothing serious mate :encouragement:

Personally, I just can't have him though. I know, a line through Thunder Rock would say he'd have a chance against Gerri, but Thunder Rock was given a dreadful ride that day, and another 200 yards gets up to win for me, whereas Thunder Rock was never beating Gerri, he had a chance to get past him but couldn't.

I feel The Real Whacker got away with one in the Dipper and think he'll be found out in this race. Would be a great story for connections though if he were to run a big race.

:biggrin-new: Cheers

Aye, I can see that viewing as well. The Real Whacker given an easy lead and basically none of the rest, including Thunder Rock actually being put in the race. And that could well be the case. I chose to see it as The Real Whacker being a superior jumper though. Pinged basically every fence.

​​​​​​​
 
:biggrin-new: Cheers

Aye, I can see that viewing as well. The Real Whacker given an easy lead and basically none of the rest, including Thunder Rock actually being put in the race. And that could well be the case. I chose to see it as The Real Whacker being a superior jumper though. Pinged basically every fence.

​​​​​​​

Oh yeah, he jumped really well that day :encouragement:
 
Anyone actually backed The Real Whacker here? Might have lost the plot (I've been in hospital for over 24hrs in my defence) but I'm starting to warm to him. Been watching the replays of the main runners here and he's a very impressive chaser, and the form ties in with the fav relatively well (if you choose to use Thunder Rock and not Monmiral).

Don't hear much love for him though. Which isn't surprising with connections and has hurdle form. Can't say he was one for my notebook last year!

I quite like him, but mainly because I got the prices. And the race he won has a good history.

I don't buy the theory regarding Thunder Rock though as their was a reason he got so far back, and was flattered by staying on IMO.

In reality though, I cannot see him winning, and he really ought to be a double figure price.
If it wasn't for his trainer and hurdle form though, he'd be a worthy contender on his dipper chase win alone. In that field !

But he's priced like he's a Henderson/Mullins horse or a horse that won graded races over hurdles.

I think he could win though, and their will be a thread put up if he does :highly_amused:
 
  • Like
Reactions: Benjy23
Anyone actually backed The Real Whacker here? Might have lost the plot (I've been in hospital for over 24hrs in my defence) but I'm starting to warm to him. Been watching the replays of the main runners here and he's a very impressive chaser, and the form ties in with the fav relatively well (if you choose to use Thunder Rock and not Monmiral).

Don't hear much love for him though. Which isn't surprising with connections and has hurdle form. Can't say he was one for my notebook last year!

The chap on the preview from the other night (lazy I know but can find it if you like) was adament The Real Whacker is the best bet of the week, and if you want to hear the case for why .... it's worth listening to (for entertainment) - I'll tag you in it when I get round to that bit again....
 
  • Like
Reactions: Benjy23
The chap on the preview from the other night (lazy I know but can find it if you like) was adament The Real Whacker is the best bet of the week, and if you want to hear the case for why .... it's worth listening to (for entertainment) - I'll tag you in it when I get round to that bit again....

I'm slightly concerned it's just for entertainment :excitement: But that'd be great, cheers. Or point me in direction of which preview and I'll have a search :eagerness:
 
  • Like
Reactions: Kevloaf
The chap on the preview from the other night (lazy I know but can find it if you like) was adament The Real Whacker is the best bet of the week, and if you want to hear the case for why .... it's worth listening to (for entertainment) - I'll tag you in it when I get round to that bit again....

Paddy 'Mad' Merrigan it was Kev, former jockey although looks to have put up plenty overweight in the past few years. He has his own patreon service and is quite a laugh at times on Facebook when he goes live to bash the 'vermin' bookies:excitement:

Hasn't shut up about TRW for ages now, although I'm sure he is, in some way, associated with the P.Neville yard, has posted some selfies at the yard a fair few times, maybe rides out there?