• HELP US - Become a Patron - Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated ... a small donation each month would be a huge contribution. Become a Patron!

The ‘I’m struggling’ thread

  • Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 4957
  • Start date Start date
robith, I feel that pain my friend. My dad died in September and it sounds like it was similar to your current predicament. Just be with him (fck any covid worries you have) just be with him.
You aren't on your own with this. Sadly you will probably have to take charge of it all, and it will be shit, but this group of oddballs is here for you.
Be strong my friend, it's shit, but it does get better.
 
Dad left us shortly before 5 this morning. We had him home, comfortable and surrounded by his family.

Thank you all for your messages and replies over this past 18 months. Geniunely, they have been a source of tremendous solace to me.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done, it is a far, far better rest that I go to than I have ever known.
 
Dad left us shortly before 5 this morning. We had him home, comfortable and surrounded by his family.

Thank you all for your messages and replies over this past 18 months. Geniunely, they have been a source of tremendous solace to me.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done, it is a far, far better rest that I go to than I have ever known.

Sorry to hear that mate, we’re all here for you.
 
Dad left us shortly before 5 this morning. We had him home, comfortable and surrounded by his family.

Thank you all for your messages and replies over this past 18 months. Geniunely, they have been a source of tremendous solace to me.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done, it is a far, far better rest that I go to than I have ever known.

Sorry to hear it mate, but so glad he got his wish of being at home with you all. You would have helped him so much by sorting that out over the last couple of days. Take the time to grieve when you get chance - suspect it may be go-go-go for the next couple of weeks with all the arrangements you have to make now but you will need that time to process everything eventually.

​​​​​​
​​​
 
Can very much empathise robith

My dad had a cardiac arrest whilst out jogging this afternoon and is currently in intensive care on a ventilator

Feel like iv been hit by a truck out of knowhere as he's only 63

He's a tough old bugger so hopefully he pulls through, but it doesn't look good

Missed this the other day.

Hope the prognosis is better by now and that you're doing ok?
 
Dad left us shortly before 5 this morning. We had him home, comfortable and surrounded by his family.

Thank you all for your messages and replies over this past 18 months. Geniunely, they have been a source of tremendous solace to me.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done, it is a far, far better rest that I go to than I have ever known.

very sorry to hear this Robith, thoughts with you and the family , i lost my mum a couple of months ago , it turned out she had cancer which we didn't know at the time , she had only been for tests the previous week , she drifted away in her bed watching tv , i know my mum would not have wanted to drag on in a hospice , and i'm sure your dad would be the same , drifting away in your own bed with family is the very best any of us could hope for , take your time with things , there is no rush , think of happier times
 
Dad left us shortly before 5 this morning. We had him home, comfortable and surrounded by his family.

Thank you all for your messages and replies over this past 18 months. Geniunely, they have been a source of tremendous solace to me.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done, it is a far, far better rest that I go to than I have ever known.

Chin up rob
looks like you’re dad had a similar sense of humour
look after the family and yourself of course
 
Chin up rob
looks like you’re dad had a similar sense of humour
look after the family and yourself of course

We've found his funeral instructions and he wants the bloody Stingray theme tune played ffs
 
We've found his funeral instructions and he wants the bloody Stingray theme tune played ffs

Brilliant
loved that
marina “aqua marina” - was one of my first crushes
 
Missed this the other day.

Hope the prognosis is better by now and that you're doing ok?

Unfortunately we won't know anything more about the extent of the damage until they start trying to wake him up on Monday
 
We've found his funeral instructions and he wants the bloody Stingray theme tune played ffs

Haha great! My dad got cremated to Fire by Arthur Brown as per his request.
 
It’s sad news to hear, but glad you got him home. Going to take time to process it all, but if it’s any help, the bad memories from the last few months fade in time, and the good memories take over. Keep your spirits up mate.
 
robith very sorry for your loss mate. Wishing you and yours the best.

The Stingray theme tune though … now that is class.
 
We've found his funeral instructions and he wants the bloody Stingray theme tune played ffs

Sorry to hear your news pal. RIP Snr Robith. We’re all hear for you.

Thoughts with FF too. Fingers crossed for you mate.
 
Sorry to hear your sad news robith

Can only echo what others have already said in that we are all here for you.
 
robith hope your dad gets the send off he deserves, that stingray request is a beaut! Death smiles at us all, all a man can do is smile back.
 
Little bump for this thread - few new members and all...



My Nan passed away in October and we were very close, I was definitely her favourite (obviously, if you ever meet me! :biggrin-new:) - took her out every weekend for at least 6 years, before that went out as a more family thing for as far back as I can remember. There every night when I got home from school if I think back long enough - let me have 2 snacks instead of the 1 allowed by my Mum.... no wonder I'm so skinny. :p

Took it a lot harder than I thought I would at the time, given she was old and unhappy and in a home and wanted to go! .... Anyway, I'm not struggling any more, but in hindsight I should have been on here and mentioned it at the time rather than cutting it all off, I think it'd have helped.

Tough time of year for so many people for so many reasons, so I hope everyone is okay, and if you're not, reach out to someone! :love_heart:
 
Lost my cousin to the big C in October. Life is shit sometimes, and seems to get more so the older you get.

Sounds like you have plenty of great memories involving your Nan Kevloaf

Thanks for bumping.

The statistics involving men and suicide get worse year on year. If we could stop just one person by encouraging talking on a thread like this - well that would be wonderful.

Don’t be afraid of your feelings - and don’t be afraid to speak up - I’m sure we’d all agree we’d all help a fellow Fat Jockey in need, even if it’s only by lending an ear.

Stay safe in 2023 all ❤️