• HELP US - Become a Patron - Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated ... a small donation each month would be a huge contribution. Become a Patron!

Queen Mother Champion Chase 2020

I would think Nicholls will be happy with Dynamite Dollars and yes I know he was getting 3lbs. Reminds me of Dodging Bullets and quite happy with 33/1 ew NRNB

Why does he remind you of Dodging Bullets?

Dodging Bullets won the Tingle Creek and Sprinter Sacre Pulled Up in their QMCC



Don't see the parallel really other than the trainer?


Both rubbish hurdlers, decent early season Novice Chasers?


33/1 is okay with the market the way it is currently? Not a race to go looking for each way value in particularly though?
 
So, as it stands now, Defi Du Seuil is my slight preference.

I can still see Defi heading for the Ryanair.
If Altior had bombed I think his participation in this race would have increased but a healthy Altior and CPS make the task harder.
Not suggesting Hobbs will run scared, just think he'll take the option where the horse has the best chance of winning...
 
I can still see Defi heading for the Ryanair.
If Altior had bombed I think his participation in this race would have increased but a healthy Altior and CPS make the task harder.
Not suggesting Hobbs will run scared, just think he'll take the option where the horse has the best chance of winning...

Yes, I thought Defi would provide me with the the biggest test to my CPS bet, but now he could do that instead for my A Plus Tard bets.
 
I don't know if you watched the Opening show - i.t.v 4 , Richard hoiles ...
put up D.Dollars each way , and got well and truly Lambasted by matt Chapman.
M.C wouldn't leave him alone !!.

I did see that.

Chapman had a pop after the race too when reading the result and the SPs with ‘anyone on Dynamite Dollars each way has done their absolute conkers back in third’
 
Why does he remind you of Dodging Bullets?

Dodging Bullets won the Tingle Creek and Sprinter Sacre Pulled Up in their QMCC



Don't see the parallel really other than the trainer?


Both rubbish hurdlers, decent early season Novice Chasers?


33/1 is okay with the market the way it is currently? Not a race to go looking for each way value in particularly though?

Haha its no more than the name - they both sound like a Clint Eastwood spaghetti western. Bullets was always underrated for what he did. He beat Sprinter fair and square at Ascot before winning The Queen Mum.
Nicholls said during the week that Dynamite Dollars will improve a lot for his first race after more than a year off.
Never as easy as ABC finish 1st 2nd and 3rd or else we wouldn't have to run the races.
 
I can still see Defi heading for the Ryanair.
If Altior had bombed I think his participation in this race would have increased but a healthy Altior and CPS make the task harder.
Not suggesting Hobbs will run scared, just think he'll take the option where the horse has the best chance of winning...

I still lean towards this too. Even though it would be frustrating from a spectacle point of view. If it comes up normal spring ground then I'd say the Ryanair would be favourite (depending upon who's still lining up in each race that is)
 
I can still see Defi heading for the Ryanair.
If Altior had bombed I think his participation in this race would have increased but a healthy Altior and CPS make the task harder.
Not suggesting Hobbs will run scared, just think he'll take the option where the horse has the best chance of winning...

If he does, I will be absolutely gutted and despise the Ryanair as a race.

Anybody that is a Ryanair defender, thinking this is a good idea?

So they 'get a winner'?

Bleeeeugggghh.


Making me feel sick at the thought of it.
 
Haha its no more than the name - they both sound like a Clint Eastwood spaghetti western. Bullets was always underrated for what he did. He beat Sprinter fair and square at Ascot before winning The Queen Mum.
Nicholls said during the week that Dynamite Dollars will improve a lot for his first race after more than a year off.
Never as easy as ABC finish 1st 2nd and 3rd or else we wouldn't have to run the races.

As a Special Tiara backer in 2017 I agree :)
 
I can still see Defi heading for the Ryanair.
If Altior had bombed I think his participation in this race would have increased but a healthy Altior and CPS make the task harder.
Not suggesting Hobbs will run scared, just think he'll take the option where the horse has the best chance of winning...

Yep, it's where he should have been going anyway, IMO.

I do struggle to see Defi besting Altior/CPS or Min/APT either way though.
 
If Defi goes Ryanair I’m gonna boycott the festival. We want to see the best against the best. Defi has been the best in England this term so to run at a different trip come the festival would be nothing short of a disgrace.
 
I like the Ryanair race but don’t want to see Defi line up in it. I would lose respect for Hobbs & JP if they bottled the QMCC because of the recent performances of CPS and Altior.

I am getting thinking back to last years Champion Hurdle when we all assumed it would be a 3 horse race and BVD fell and Apples Jade & Laurina bombed so I will definitely backing some big each way prices behind the big 3 just incase something similar happens as the rest of the field could be 20/1 plus maybe 40’s on the day if the big 3 line up
 
I like the Ryanair race but don’t want to see Defi line up in it. I would lose respect for Hobbs & JP if they bottled the QMCC because of the recent performances of CPS and Altior.

I am getting thinking back to last years Champion Hurdle when we all assumed it would be a 3 horse race and BVD fell and Apples Jade & Laurina bombed so I will definitely backing some big each way prices behind the big 3 just incase something similar happens as the rest of the field could be 20/1 plus maybe 40’s on the day if the big 3 line up

Could well be a good comparison.

I specifically remember having backed the top 5 in the betting in that 10 runner Champion Hurdle (inevitably 6th fav at the time was Espoir D'allen)
I think he went off shorter than Sharjah in the end with some late money.

I cursed myself for not backing the other 5 "just in case"....

However, I took that on board when I felt I had the RSA absolutely nailed on with Santini, Delta Work and Topofthegame .... so played safe and did back some other runners....

Inevitably, 1-2-3 for the big 3, and I had essentially given some profit away :highly_amused:



No black and white rule I suppose.
I'm certainly going to cover LESS this year than I have in the previous few though.


Giving money away when you've got the winner already is just as frustrating as not backing a horse you could have but didn't fancy all season.


It's why I won't back Dynamite Dollars or Sceau Royal.... if they win, fair enough, I'll take it on the chin, knowing I still have the market value.

Can't win them all!
 
Well spoken Kevin.
I'm not keen on building a book either, it takes the risk/fun out of it. It might happen by accident this year, but I think i'll then try and have a bigger bet on one in the race I expect to win (if that stands out to me) Asterion Forlonge is currently an example of this In my mind.

Building a book means that You can end up with 1pt on a 33-1 winner, and make 7 or 8pt profit on the race. Rough example.

You have to believe they have a chance to bet them, and laugh it off when the ones you think have no chance end up winning. Like ESpoir D'allen.
 
Reacting to Altior's three-and-a-quarter-length victory over another Champion Chase hopeful Sceau Royal in the Game Spirit Chase, Hobbs said: "He's obviously run a much better race than he did first time.


"If he is back to his best, then it would be a concern in the Champion Chase."


Altior endured a highly frustrating first half of the campaign - losing his long unbeaten record over fences when coming off second best up in trip against Cyrname at Ascot in November, and then missing planned engagements at Kempton because of an abscess.


"It was obviously a big improvement, and he's run a very good race," Hobbs added of Nicky Henderson's great champion.


"(But) I think it's impossible to tell from that whether he is totally back to his best.


"It may be he is getting there, and will be next time, so it is very difficult to tell."


Hobbs has pointed out through much of the season that Altior's well-being, and his Cheltenham target, may prove a factor in Festival plans for Defi Du Seuil.


The seven-year-old's season has been exemplary, however, most recently with an impressive win in Ascot's Clarence House Chase last month.


Hobbs added: "We said right from the start the Champion Chase is probably the most likely, and obviously his season has gone extremely well - particularly the last time."
 
Hobbs added: "We said right from the start the Champion Chase is probably the most likely, and obviously his season has gone extremely well - particularly the last time."





Good for you Hobbsy. Do the right thing, or face the Wrath of the Loaf.
 
Hobbs added: "We said right from the start the Champion Chase is probably the most likely, and obviously his season has gone extremely well - particularly the last time."





Good for you Hobbsy. Do the right thing, or face the Wrath of the Loaf.

Thats encouraging for racing as it would be a magnificent race.:applause:
But he's kind of lying as well.
 
If Defi goes Ryanair I’m gonna boycott the festival. We want to see the best against the best. Defi has been the best in England this term so to run at a different trip come the festival would be nothing short of a disgrace.

We all want to see the best run against the best, in this context most would like to see DDS run in the QMCC, with the exception of those who have lumped on for the Ryanair

I cant tell if you're being serious with this statement but if not it seems a mighty over reaction
 
We all want to see the best run against the best, in this context most would like to see DDS run in the QMCC, with the exception of those who have lumped on for the Ryanair

I cant tell if you're being serious with this statement but if not it seems a mighty over reaction

Forget the gambling aspect, the winner of the champion chase should be the best horse over 2 miles. If Defi doesn’t turn up then we still won’t know who the best is. It’s like a champions league final with a team of reserves. Remember this is a sport, a spectacle that the public pay to watch. If we’re saying this sport is all about money then I’m sorry but I’m out.
 
If Altior wins this he surely has to be up there with the best 2 miler of all time!

I really like DDS and think he can win this for the next few years! Really hoping he he goes here! CPS is another who can be competiting for next few years, might not have the experience of Altior but 2 very good horses and this race has the potential to be the best in this race in a very long time!

Thinking ahead and IF Hobbs did Lap it, it could again take away the highlight for Altior IF it wins! Not fair on it as can only beat what's in front of you! For the good of the sport and to be named the best 2 miler I really wish we get ALL the best 2 miles to crown the BEST!
 
Thats encouraging for racing as it would be a magnificent race.:applause:
But he's kind of lying as well.

Just catching up and read this Q

Well think you’ve been overly diplomatic towards Mr Hobbs because he has LIED , don’t have a problem with them changing their minds but does piss me off when he says “ always the target “ which isn’t the case.
He loses all credibility in my eyes by saying that.

Beginning of season he stated that Ryanair was the target and I have some lovely multiples with EA 10/1 and DDS 8/1 to prove it


Tosser :highly_amused: