• HELP US - Become a Patron - Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated ... a small donation each month would be a huge contribution. Become a Patron!

Queen Mother Champion Chase 2020

The issue I have with altior is the riding tactics.
His best two furlongs are the last one, and the furlong after the finishing line. :devilish:

If Nico waits too long again he's eventually gonna come a cropper. They're wasting a pretty strong finishing burst that he can sustain for longer than he is being allowed. He will need to go as they come down the hill and keep going.

The stronger pace that is likely in the champion may help him.

Why? You have nailed it and if you know I am sure Nico knows :)
 
I thought the same until I watched that video posted yesterday talking about BDD. After that Ruby broke down the CPS/Min race, which was very interesting. Think he said that PT thought CPS was idling on the run in, and then about CPS didn't look like a very tired horse.


10m 20 on.

Cheers Tim, interesting watch. I want to believe them, I really do, CPS is one of my biggest winners of the week but I am not sure.
 
Should just boot him on a furlong earlier, like you say. Once the animal gets going it flies, and it's not like they're trying to Phoenix Way him into a handicap.

He's just risking getting beat by making a small jumping error, against horses that are nowhere near as good as him.
He seems to hold him up and wait for the flat spot between the last 2 or 3 fences.
He might not get the luxury against Chacun if they get on with it in March and he'll be at it earlier against better horses anyway.
maybe not Defi though :devilish:
 
This is the stage where we have all backed our fancy and begin to cling to every straw thats offered, am I certain that CPS will win of course not and the same goes for the backers of the three main contestents because these three may just scare off a few other possible runners so where do we stand if it becomes purely tacticle.
 
Most definitely, Q. More I think about the race, I think I might lay my points off and just take a freeroll. I lose nothing or win if Willie's boy gets it done, lol.

Cheers Tim, interesting watch. I want to believe them, I really do, CPS is one of my biggest winners of the week but I am not sure.

I chucked 6pts on him a/r @ 10/1 after Sky were a bit slow, so he's one of mine given I've hardly done anything this season. That's my only play in the race, other than sniping a tenner at 25/1 on Marathon for A Plus Tard.

I'd like to think he's right for the same reasons, but we certainly cannot be sure. Shaping up to be the race of the week, though. Could see any one of them winning it.

Even though I've been complaining about how busy I've been with work. I'm glad of it, given how tough this season looks, and the fact that there seems to have been even more carnage this year with everyone's AP books.
 
Even though I've been complaining about how busy I've been with work. I'm glad of it, given how tough this season looks, and the fact that there seems to have been even more carnage this year with everyone's AP books.

Woah, woah, woooooaaah.

Speak for yourself. I feel like I'm in a great spot :loyal:
 
I really like Richard Hoiles but his commentary at the end there was nonsense - ‘he’s holding on from Sceau Royal and Dynamite Dollars’. He was three lengths clear and going away at the time. That’s not holding on!

He relished the longer run in and relished the Cheltenham hill more than any horse I’ve ever seen so I think he’s still the one to beat in the Champion Chase.

Spot on with the commentary quote there MOM. Hoiles is usually quite good & I thought he got it totally wrong at the last. He’s always using that final turn of foot & didn’t look overly in hard to me.
 
Fantastic to see Altior back winning and showing that finish once again.
He did basically produce a carbon copy of his Sandown and Cheltenham wins last Spring.
So I don't think anything has changed. He's still beating Sceau Royal in and around the same distance.
And it looks a much harder race this year...

But it does set us up perfectly for March now. What a race!
If I had to guess the outcome right now, having now seen them all win their final trial...

1. Defi du Seuil
2. Altior
3. Chacun Pour Soi

Chacun to travel and jump like a dream through much of the race.
But Chacun can't shake off either Altior and Defi as they loom up alongside approaching the final fence, all jumping in a line.
Nico sends Altior on with his trademark run up the hill, Barry does the same on Defi
It looks like Altior is going to do it but Defi continues on and wins by a length and a half.
Chacun a close 3rd a further length back.
A big distance back to 4th.
 
Wish you'd gone into a bit of detail, and not been so ambiguous with regards to how you see things playing out, jono :witless:
 
This would be a class renewal if Defi, Altior and Chacun lined up.

Looking at some poor past renewals, plus some one-sided odds on dominations, this could be a true Champion Chase for the ages.

2017 1-2-3) Special Tiara - Fox Norton - Sire Valentino
2014 1-2-3) Sire De Grugy - Somersby - Module

If they all get there & serve it up to each other this will be a renewal on par with Azertiyoup, Moscow Flyer & Well Chief. One mistake & your race is over.
 
Last edited:
Fantastic to see Altior back winning and showing that finish once again.
He did basically produce a carbon copy of his Sandown and Cheltenham wins last Spring.
So I don't think anything has changed. He's still beating Sceau Royal in and around the same distance.
And it looks a much harder race this year...

But it does set us up perfectly for March now. What a race!
If I had to guess the outcome right now, having now seen them all win their final trial...

1. Defi du Seuil
2. Altior
3. Chacun Pour Soi

Chacun to travel and jump like a dream through much of the race.
But Chacun can't shake off either Altior and Defi as they loom up alongside approaching the final fence, all jumping in a line.
Nico sends Altior on with his trademark run up the hill, Barry does the same on Defi
It looks like Altior is going to do it but Defi continues on and wins by a length and a half.
Chacun a close 3rd a further length back.
A big distance back to 4th.

I think you are bang on tbh.
 
I would think Nicholls will be happy with Dynamite Dollars and yes I know he was getting 3lbs. Reminds me of Dodging Bullets and quite happy with 33/1 ew NRNB
 
What a finish we have in store for us for this race! Honestly, I think this will be the race of the week, potentially under a length between all 3 at the line
 
I can’t wait for this race now!

This sport throws up heroes and altior is one of those! Really hope Hobbs commits to it as this has the potential to be the race of a decade!

So many runnings have went through my head and they all have different outcomes :highly_amused:

Have to say...not that I’ve backed much but if altior pulls it out the bag he HAS to go down as one of the all time greats!
 
Exactly that Craigy , Altior is often crabbed for winning a weak division of late, beating Defi & CPS would be his biggest festival win and prove he could of beaten top fields any year if doing so.
 
Exactly that Craigy , Altior is often crabbed for winning a weak division of late, beating Defi & CPS would be his biggest festival win and prove he could of beaten top fields any year if doing so.

It's like any sports competition. Beating up on weak competition will never have the same gravitas as beating quality competition.

You get the best moments of your sporting lives by beating the best competition, often narrowly, rather than winning ( or thrashing) the weaker opponents.

Boxing legend is made of this stuff, Racing is too.
 
When should I do the poll for this race - we've seen the key trials .... :highly_amused:


I will definitely put myself in the camp of all 3 at some point between now and then. Right now, my head is telling me Defi Du Seuil is the sensible pick. He's done absolutely everything right, he's won the key trials. He has two festival wins to his name already and has to be the one to beat. The young up-and-comer angle is just part and parcel of this game and as almighty as Altior has been, there is always a changing of the guard.


Chacun Pour Soi, is clearly credible and all that we'll hear on the preview circuit is that run at Punchestown.
I've even said myself that I can see me getting lured in by that, and his potential.

With just 1 pt between them in the betting though, that isn't enough to counter Defi's festival form and fact he hasn't blemished his copy book at all this season.

Yesterday Altior winning was superb to see. If Cyrname bolts up in the Ascot Gold Cup (which I'm anticipating) his venture up in trip and credible 2nd to him first time out, combined with his familar burst up the hill after the last means he really hasn't blotted his copy book as much as has been made out in the media? Still some 'ifs' but we're talking about a horse who has a phenomenal record and although I do agree with some that he's not at the peak of his powers, he's still a 4-Time Grade 1 Festival winner and literally cannot be dismissed by anybody with a degree of certainty.



So, as it stands now, Defi Du Seuil is my slight preference.
 
I really like Richard Hoiles but his commentary at the end there was nonsense - ‘he’s holding on from Sceau Royal and Dynamite Dollars’. He was three lengths clear and going away at the time. That’s not holding on!

He relished the longer run in and relished the Cheltenham hill more than any horse I’ve ever seen so I think he’s still the one to beat in the Champion Chase.

I don't know if you watched the Opening show - i.t.v 4 , Richard hoiles ...
put up D.Dollars each way , and got well and truly Lambasted by matt Chapman.
M.C wouldn't leave him alone !!.