• HELP US - Become a Patron - Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated ... a small donation each month would be a huge contribution. Become a Patron!

Arkle 2018

I don't think Munir/Suede mind having multiple runners in the same race
 
I don't think Munir/Suede mind having multiple runners in the same race

Regardless I’ve still got nagging doubts about Footpad (though I do have him covered any race).. Most impressive novice jumping round we’ve seen so far but you’d think one of the other main contenders will be able to match that by March and put in a near foot perfect round. When push came to shove over hurdles he seemed to be found wanting... I’d be worried about him coming up the hill, not Finian’s in the slightest
 
Regardless I’ve still got nagging doubts about Footpad (though I do have him covered any race).. Most impressive novice jumping round we’ve seen so far but you’d think one of the other main contenders will be able to match that by March and put in a near foot perfect round. When push came to shove over hurdles he seemed to be found wanting... I’d be worried about him coming up the hill, not Finian’s in the slightest

I had always said I'd be surprised if Footpad doesn't go for the JLT over the Arkle, as his general 2m runs mostly seemed to find him running on or never nearer and I think the same would apply for the Arkle for him. That said, as Kev said, I don't think Munir/Suede would care about having 2 horses in one race, they done it 2 seasons ago in the JLT!
 
I had always said I'd be surprised if Footpad doesn't go for the JLT over the Arkle, as his general 2m runs mostly seemed to find him running on or never nearer and I think the same would apply for the Arkle for him. That said, as Kev said, I don't think Munir/Suede would care about having 2 horses in one race, they done it 2 seasons ago in the JLT!


2m racing post novice chase at leopardstown over Christmas up next for footpad. A good win should take him 7/2 < for the arkle.
 
2m racing post novice chase at leopardstown over Christmas up next for footpad. A good win should take him 7/2 < for the arkle.

I agree Scooby. Not much strength in depth at this stage. I think Petit Mouchoir looks the value at double the price of Footpad. But can't bring myself to back him until we know he's ok.
 
I agree Scooby. Not much strength in depth at this stage. I think Petit Mouchoir looks the value at double the price of Footpad. But can't bring myself to back him until we know he's ok.

Can certainly see the value in PM compared to Footpad. He's drifted out to the price he was before he ran almost. I'm not tempted to go in again though until a reappearance possibly
 
2m racing post novice chase at leopardstown over Christmas up next for footpad. A good win should take him 7/2 < for the arkle.

7/2 for the Arkle, then about an hour later on the TV Willie will mention about stepping him up in trip possibly :triumphant:;)
 
7/2 for the Arkle, then about an hour later on the TV Willie will mention about stepping him up in trip possibly :triumphant:;)

I'm really looking forward to the clash between Footpad and Finian's Oscar ....

In the JLT:highly_amused:
 
I'm really looking forward to the clash between Footpad and Finian's Oscar ....

In the JLT:highly_amused:

I can definitely see one of them going there 'IF' PM is fit, otherwise you've got some race in the Arkle and there can only be one winner when potentially they can divert and pick up the JLT against, what looks like, lesser opposition currently (this could well change though).
 
Finians steadily drifting for the arkle and shortening for the jlt. Would be nothing to do with tizzard or connections, but being the logical target and half the price may play in there minds, If they weren't already thinking jlt. With the way Nichols campaigns his better 2m4 novice chasers and the logical targets for Finians oscar, I could see finians and modus meeting soon. Very simular run styles and ratings would make a decent match up
 
Finians steadily drifting for the arkle and shortening for the jlt. Would be nothing to do with tizzard or connections, but being the logical target and half the price may play in there minds, If they weren't already thinking jlt. With the way Nichols campaigns his better 2m4 novice chasers and the logical targets for Finians oscar, I could see finians and modus meeting soon. Very simular run styles and ratings would make a decent match up

Long way to go before we can trust any drifts to confirm targets, but certainly not a positive for FO.

I'm a broken record, but the JLT would be a better race for FO, no doubt.... but IMO its still likely he does meet, beat Modus and alike over 2m4f and STILL ends up in the Arkle in March.
 
Colin Tizzard will go for the JLT now imo i think Potts might have pushed for the more prestigious race in the Arkle but the trainer can call the shots now and the JLT looks made for Finians Oscar whom i think every other trainer would be keen to avoid, the King Henry VIII chase at Sandown will be a good pointer to where a few of the Arkle contenders are at, i personally rate Capitaines chances he looks a different horse jumping fences to hurdles, a real electric two mile chaser, he should face a very decent field at Sandown with Sceau Royal also an intended runner i suppose we'll know more after that
 
Last edited:
I think the King Henry VIII chase at Sandown will be a good pointer to where a few of the Arkle contenders are at, i personally rate Capitaines chances he looks a different horse jumping fences to hurdles, a real electric two mile chaser, he should face a very decent field at Sandown with Sceau Royal also an intended runner i suppose we'll know more after that

Hope so for my stable stars :highly_amused:

Capitaine is as short as 16s and 33s in places - always interesting when that happens IMO with what I consider little chance of any other target.... it's surely just a question of whether he improves enough - A H2H with Sceau Royal would be informative
 
Hope so for my stable stars :highly_amused:

Capitaine is as short as 16s and 33s in places - always interesting when that happens IMO with what I consider little chance of any other target.... it's surely just a question of whether he improves enough - A H2H with Sceau Royal would be informative

Snap re: Stable Stars, Sceau Royals form ties in well with North Hill Harvey given he was only beaten a neck at Cheltenham despite giving him 5lb
 
Anyone catch Simon Rowlands piece in the Irish field about finians oscar? He's notably not been keen on the times Finians has registered however he states his closing sectionals in the race against MWTT was the fastest he has recorded on the old course recently, quicker than Douvan and Altior ran in the arkle with them having run a shorter trip and on better ground. Very interesting.
 
Brain power out tomorrow as was always the plan. Expect him to win well and be another one from last years champion hurdle to put his name forward for the arkle.
 
just been looking at the betting for this race and cant see a mullins horse, Any thoughts?