• HELP US - Become a Patron - Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated ... a small donation each month would be a huge contribution. Become a Patron!

2024 Champion Chase

Keep it simple…. Just back El Fab on the day at 4/5 and collect the cash

What NRNB price do you think he'll be in a few weeks?
 
Some perspective…..Jonbon has run 171 & 172 RPRs this season …my guess is that was a high 160s by El Fabiolo, but could be wrong

Still very much open & hopefully a great race to come
 
  • Like
Reactions: Carnage at Taunton
expect around 8/11 or 4/6 when NRNB come in. What price do you think?

You'd be very lucky to get anywhere near that. 1/2 at the very best IMO.
 
Some perspective…..Jonbon has run 171 & 172 RPRs this season …my guess is that was a high 160s by El Fabiolo, but could be wrong

Still very much open & hopefully a great race to come

Another perspective, with his head in his chest, he's given 17lb and an 8l beating to 151 rated race-fit Maskada.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Deleted member 4957
expect around 8/11 or 4/6 when NRNB come in. What price do you think?
If you’re not on already then it might be wise to wait till after the Clarence House

Energumene beaten in the last 2 before winning at Cheltenham

Looks like Willie uses the race to get his Champion Chase horse fully tuned up
 
Another perspective, with his head in his chest, he's given 17lb and an 8l beating to 151 rated race-fit Maskada.

This is how I saw it. More impressed by that performance than what Jonbon done the day before, however I would expect the heavy ground to have been more to El Fabiolos liking than Jonbons so can understand why Jonbon didn't put in, what I would call, a proper performance.
 
  • Like
Reactions: opatcho
Be nice to just let both horses do what they do on the track and look forward to see how the race goes on the day in March.
I know each will have their backers and supporters but I hope we can appreciate that they are both obviously top class 2 milers that deserve much respect.
EF the right fav on all known form thus far.
Jonbon a very serious opponent.
 
Another perspective, with his head in his chest, he's given 17lb and an 8l beating to 151 rated race-fit Maskada.

Luckily have both in book, so not taking sides

Agree EF looked to have more….so interested what he gets as rating …..but Fil Dor has never run above low 150 & Maskada only run above low 140s once at Chelt
 
EF just looks a proper NH beast doesn't he. I think he'll bully Jonbon into submission again. He's so economical. Spends little time in the air, jumps low and fast. Even when he misses one he's so strong he takes the birch with him and spits it out. Never looks like falling. He's a completely different animal to JB.
 
  • Like
Reactions: HesTheOne
Luckily have both in book, so not taking sides

Agree EF looked to have more….so interested what he gets as rating …..but Fil Dor has never run above low 150 & Maskada only run above low 140s once at Chelt

Fil Dor to me looks to be improving as well. Still only 5.

I'd say he'll be in or around the recent winners of the Hilly way

171 Energumene
171 Chacun

Rprs of course.
 
Be nice to just let both horses do what they do on the track and look forward to see how the race goes on the day in March.
I know each will have their backers and supporters but I hope we can appreciate that they are both obviously top class 2 milers that deserve much respect.
EF the right fav on all known form thus far.
Jonbon a very serious opponent.

Jonbon beat 25/1 and 50/1 CC shots 3L on sat. Solid, sure,, but we all know whats coming dont we?

EF will make a mockery of jonbon, again
 
Jonbon beat 25/1 and 50/1 CC shots 3L on sat. Solid, sure,, but we all know whats coming dont we?

EF will make a mockery of jonbon, again

As I said before both did what was expected this weekend and won well enough for this stage of the season.

I think both horses have shown us that they both have a serious chance of winning the QM.
I don’t know what’s coming and I can’t wait to find out.
I now look forward to seeing them run next and will enjoy watching them again.
If EF goes to Ascot I will be there with my camera, he’s some looking horse !!
Seeing Jonbon close up was pretty impressive, looking at EF walk into the paddock yesterday made me think what he would look like close up!!

Not sure there’s much else to say until they are out again.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure there’s much else to say until they are out again.

:highly_amused: Always chuckle at comments like this ....... might as well close the thread :indecisiveness:

2 runner race and the bookies are paying 3 places...... Maybe someone wants to get creative :loyal:


Let's have the:

1.
2.
3.

if you had to say now..... (not just you CAT) :triumphant:
 
  • Like
Reactions: HesTheOne
:highly_amused: Always chuckle at comments like this ....... might as well close the thread :indecisiveness:

2 runner race and the bookies are paying 3 places...... Maybe someone wants to get creative :loyal:


Let's have the:

1.
2.
3.

if you had to say now..... (not just you CAT) :triumphant:

`1. El Fab
.





2. Jonplob
3. Captain Guinness or maybe Dino Blue
 
  • Like
Reactions: Kevloaf
:highly_amused: Always chuckle at comments like this ....... might as well close the thread :indecisiveness:

2 runner race and the bookies are paying 3 places...... Maybe someone wants to get creative :loyal:


Let's have the:

1.
2.
3.

if you had to say now..... (not just you CAT) :triumphant:

Haha, not much else to say for me.
I dare say others will have plenty to say!!

1. EF
2. Jonbon
3. C Guinness

Rather obvious , sorry.
I do reserve the right to change my mind though after seeing them again.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Kevloaf
El Fabiolo
Dinoblue
Boothill
 
  • Like
Reactions: Kevloaf
:highly_amused: Always chuckle at comments like this ....... might as well close the thread :indecisiveness:

2 runner race and the bookies are paying 3 places...... Maybe someone wants to get creative :loyal:


Let's have the:

1.
2.
3.

if you had to say now..... (not just you CAT) :triumphant:

I guess it’s more that nobody is changing their mind which is fair enough and it’s close to impossible now to say anything that hasn’t already been said many times over as both horses have been on the same journey for a long time now. I like the optimism of asking for some new creativity. I am fresh out myself I’m afraid … sorry

i think EL Fab is a monster and could be the second best horse in training and wins. I think jonbon could suffer from trying to win the race and get done by the captain for second.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Kevloaf
El Fabiolo
Dinoblue
Boothill

Need some context to this mate come on now.

I can agree that El Fabiolo probably looks better than Jonbon on their most recent running against each other but not in the first 3?!

What makes you think Boothill will improve 12lbs if Jonbon runs close to his best. Even underperforming where does Boothill find half a stone improvement? Likewise the mare needs 8lbs at least.

Jonbon imo looks improved this season, Saturday on the heavy going I can give him a pass given ground conditions, he still won fairly comfortably.
 
Have watched his two festival defeats back and the Sandown race at the weekend and he looks as though he needs a step up in trip to me. Was outpaced at crucial times in the Supreme and Arkle and stayed on really well in deep ground in the TC. I still get the feeling that Cheltenham is not his course as even in the Shloer Chase he looked as though he didn't enjoy the hill too much. It could be the undulations perhaps. IMO Dinoblue will run in the CC . She's a natural front runner and an out and out 2miler so my thinking is she'll be there not only because she has a chance of good place money herself but because it'll help make it a real test for JB as well. I reckon it'll backfire though and JB will struggle to go with them which will affect his rhythm. I can see Dinoblue hanging in there and Boothill passing JB for 3rd. Nicky was thinking of stepping JB up in trip after being thrashed by EF in the Arkle but he changed his mind after giving him a couple more chances over 2. That may well come back to haunt him as JB really has had it all his own way and the horses he's beaten since the Fez have been either of a poor standard or are horses on their way down , Nube Negra/Edwardstone, so it may be totally misleading. There you go. Hope that helps.