• HELP US - Become a Patron - Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated ... a small donation each month would be a huge contribution. Become a Patron!

2024 Champion Chase

Intersting to see haddex des obeaux has moved from gary moore to nicky henderson.
Could well be that with him and jonbon being in the same yard now nicky could use him to the advantage of jonbon in the champion chase? (i'm not sure how just find it an interesting mid season move)

Maybe the owner was annoyed Moore blew his mark in a race he couldn't win instead of going to kempton off 150

He now has to go there off 157 and his chances of winning the new desert orchid handicap have gone from good to slim

Was poor race planning that
 
Maybe the owner was annoyed Moore blew his mark in a race he couldn't win instead of going to kempton off 150

He now has to go there off 157 and his chances of winning the new desert orchid handicap have gone from good to slim

Was poor race planning that

Possibly, but, he was only 5 lengths off winning a grade 1 and picked up ?18,000 prize money.
If he hadn't run there and waited for this just imagine how piss poor the tingle creek would've been then
 
Yeah I think that's the possibility i'm thinking of.
Would there also be a benefit of having them work together?
Probably nothing to worry the "mighty" el fab, but it's a bit of an intriguing situation, I thought gary moore was bringing him along nicely enough

I suppose they could work together to try to inconvenience el fabiolo but that sort of thing has probably gone wrong enough times to mean it's not much of an advantage (the Mullins vs honeysuckle mess in the mares hurdle springs to mind)

Jonbon himself was his most impressive when ridden prominently at Cheltenham recently, so id be thinking let haddex make the running and just drop jonbon in second and try to take it up after the third last and press on and put his jumping and stamina to use and hopefully outstay el fabiolo or put enough pressure on that he makes an error. But if haddex gets in a good rhythm out in front and they can't peg him back then it's a win win for Henderson.
 
Dinoblue may well be a very good back up to Jonbon for JP in the Champion Chase and would take them along at a good pace as that's how she likes to run. Her entry at Xmas up against Captain Guinness will tell us more.
 
I can't imagine they've even considered needing team tactics to beat El Fabiolo yet

Even if they did, having something go off faster for Jonbon to aim at, doesn't hinder El Fabiolo


El Fabiolo isn't top tier yet either.... when he beats Jonbon in the QMCC, he still won't be a great.... he's just the best 2 mile chaser in a weak division. Same today as it will be in March.


The 3rd best 2 mile chaser is Captain Guinness. That says plenty
 
I think they'll go for the mares chase with Dinoblue as they have a decent chance there, and is arguably JP's best chance. Haddex is potential place fodder (pocket talking here) for the CC
 
IMO Dinoblue will blow Captain Guinness away next week and then they'll not be able to resist a crack at the CC. She's an out and out 2 miler and will be hindered by 2 1/2 miles of the Mares Chase. She's not even been entered in any of the Mares Chase races so far (including the one next week) which for me is a big pointer to where they'd like her to end up.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Tickety Boo
Massive support this evening across every bookie for Dinoblue to turn Captain Guinness over on Wednesday. 5's into 2's.
 
  • Like
Reactions: HesTheOne
Massive support this evening across every bookie for Dinoblue to turn Captain Guinness over on Wednesday. 5's into 2's.

5/2 best yesterday :boxing:

Still 5/2 available today

Hills were only ones holding 4s on 21st Dec.

Support likely came due to Rubys words on her
 
Wonder what price she'll go after winning ? Currently 33/1 or 6.6/1 a place.
 
…..19 entries;

Amarillo Sky (IRE) 8 Mr J. P. Romans Joe Tizzard
Appreciate It (IRE) 10 Miss M. A. Masterson W. P. Mullins Ireland
Boothill (IRE) 9 Brian & Sandy Lambert Harry Fry
Captain Guinness (IRE) 9 Declan Landy Henry de Bromhead Ireland
Dysart Dynamo (IRE) 8 Ms Eleanor Manning W. P. Mullins Ireland
Editeur du Gite (FR) 10 The Preston Family, Friends & T Jacobs Gary Moore
Edwardstone 10 Robert Abrey & Ian Thurtle Alan King
El Fabiolo (FR) 7 Mr Simon Munir/Mr Isaac Souede W. P. Mullins Ireland
Elixir de Nutz (FR) 10 Mr Terry Warner Joe Tizzard
Ferny Hollow (IRE) 9 Cheveley Park Stud W. P. Mullins Ireland
Fil Dor (FR) 6 Caldwell Construction Ltd Gordon Elliott Ireland
Funambule Sivola (FR) 9 My Racing Manager Friends Venetia Williams
Gentleman de Mee (FR) 8 Mr John P. McManus W. P. Mullins Ireland
Greaneteen (FR) 10 Chris Giles Paul Nicholls
Jonbon (FR) 8 Mr John P. McManus Nicky Henderson
Nube Negra (SPA) 10 Mr T. Spraggett Dan Skelton
Visionarian (IRE) 9 Mr Basil Holian Peter Fahey Ireland
Dinoblue (FR) 7 Mr John P. McManus W. P. Mullins Ireland
Maskada (FR) 8 M. K. Mariga Henry de Bromhead Ireland​
 
I suppose they could work together to try to inconvenience el fabiolo but that sort of thing has probably gone wrong enough times to mean it's not much of an advantage (the Mullins vs honeysuckle mess in the mares hurdle springs to mind)

Jonbon himself was his most impressive when ridden prominently at Cheltenham recently, so id be thinking let haddex make the running and just drop jonbon in second and try to take it up after the third last and press on and put his jumping and stamina to use and hopefully outstay el fabiolo or put enough pressure on that he makes an error. But if haddex gets in a good rhythm out in front and they can't peg him back then it's a win win for Henderson.

I think your bit about Jonbon being ridden more prominently is a fair one.
I think being a tad more aggressive with him would be the way to go as well.
I would prefer Nico to ride him, imo he’s a better fit than AC.
I know there’s talk on here on the mares thread about the possibility of EF smashing J at Ascot and J then going Ryanair.
Yes it’s possible but highly unlikely.
For one thing the Jonbon we’ve seen so far this season looks much improved and also I expect EF to be in better shape at Cheltenham than Ascot.
Thats if they both turn up at Ascotwhich I have my doubts about.
Hope they do, I was there for Energ and Shishkin and will never forget it!!
Would not mind that again!!!
 
I think your bit about Jonbon being ridden more prominently is a fair one.
I think being a tad more aggressive with him would be the way to go as well.
I would prefer Nico to ride him, imo he’s a better fit than AC.
I know there’s talk on here on the mares thread about the possibility of EF smashing J at Ascot and J then going Ryanair.
Yes it’s possible but highly unlikely.
For one thing the Jonbon we’ve seen so far this season looks much improved and also I expect EF to be in better shape at Cheltenham than Ascot.
Thats if they both turn up at Ascotwhich I have my doubts about.
Hope they do, I was there for Energ and Shishkin and will never forget it!!
Would not mind that again!!!

Yes that was the champion chase that year.
 
Yes I guess it was, and maybe it’s greedy to want two in the same year.
Dont happen much these days.
Question I could ask myself ….. would I prefer to witness it at the course, or have it at the festival ?
Difficult one for me.

At the course 200% otherwise racing is truly fucked

i would caveat that with as long as the examples are infrequent
 
So the big two have Elixir de Nutz and Unexpected Party as opponents for Ascot.
If one of them don’t run I don’t think I will be going!!
I could put up with replacement bus as part of journey to see a big clash, but not a virtual walkover.