• HELP US - Become a Patron - Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated ... a small donation each month would be a huge contribution. Become a Patron!

2023 Stayers Hurdle

All this Aintree talk you're starting to sound like Paul Nicholls the last couple of days, Lobos. :glee:

Bob into as low as 8s with Bet365 now... this market has changed quite rapidly the last few days with Zanahiyr and Blazing Khal too.

All still have to get past Flooring. Unfortunately for them his trainer says he's in the best shape he's ever been in. Sounds ominous !!! Still great value.
 
  • Like
Reactions: isitmarchyet
With all this Aintree talk you're starting to sound like Paul Nicholls the last couple of days, Lobos. :glee:

Bob into as low as 8s with Bet365 now... this market has changed quite rapidly the last few days with Zanahiyr and Blazing Khal too.

They've cut Flooring Porter too in recent days too. Not much being pushed out either.

It's probably already been done to death but given how tight it is at the top of some of the ante post markets this year, I'm wondering how anyone can make a book in some of the graded races.
 
Bob Olinger has to prove himself again before I'll be backing him. Samcro and Envoi Allen never really built on there early promise and I wouldn't bet on Bob Olinger going the same way.

As noted in my diary to Lobos, the problem with waiting for him to prove himself again is that by the time he's done the business again he'll be half the price or worse for the race, then comes the question of whether he's too short or not :ambivalence:
 
As noted in my diary to Lobos, the problem with waiting for him to prove himself again is that by the time he's done the business again he'll be half the price or worse for the race, then comes the question of whether he's too short or not :ambivalence:

Only thing for it is a couple of free bets on Bob O
 
As noted in my diary to Lobos, the problem with waiting for him to prove himself again is that by the time he's done the business again he'll be half the price or worse for the race, then comes the question of whether he's too short or not :ambivalence:

On the flip side, you've done your dough if he runs like a drain. I'd prefer having a bigger bet at half the odds once he's showed he still has it.

He was too short at 16s imo given how he finished last season.
 
Worth noting that Henry was noncommittal over the trip. Which makes the 8s look terrible. I’d suggest stayers more likely but still. Henry’s interview didn’t fill me with confidence that the issue is sorted either. “I HOPE the issue was fences”.
 
Last edited:
On the flip side, you've done your dough if he runs like a drain. I'd prefer having a bigger bet at half the odds once he's showed he still has it.

He was too short at 16s imo given how he finished last season.

Yeah, absolutely.

I'm of the opinion that fences were not for him. He still managed 3 wins (one obviously very fortuitously). I don't doubt the engine is still there. 20's was big enough for me pre announcement of him going back over hurdles. Even more so now I know he is definitely going back over them.
 
On the flip side, you've done your dough if he runs like a drain. I'd prefer having a bigger bet at half the odds once he's showed he still has it.

He was too short at 16s imo given how he finished last season.

Fair point this, think too many worry about getting the biggest price yet a smaller price with some context/substance often can get overlooked on a site where we focus on early plays etc.

Side note, I'm not that keen on him in hindsight he's only ever really beaten stayers when hurdling (maybe Blue Lord an exception) and whilst he might have a sharp turn of foot I've enough questions about him at this moment in time.
 
I'll just be with Bob on my own then :highly_amused::highly_amused:
 
Blazing Khal staying over hurdles, as expected.

Confirmed in IrishRacing.com Stable Tour with Charles Byrnes.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Eggs
I'll just be with Bob on my own then :highly_amused::highly_amused:

Now a hurdle campaign is basically confirmed I've had to get him onside. He's clearly a very talented horse that just doesn't like fences.

Something will emerge as a credible threat to Flooring Porter in time and it could easily be him. I love FP but he's been walloping proper stayers with speed from the front that just cant pick him up. I like the new blood in the division because I don't think horses like Zanahyir or Bob will have that issue.
 
Now a hurdle campaign is basically confirmed I've had to get him onside. He's clearly a very talented horse that just doesn't like fences.

Something will emerge as a credible threat to Flooring Porter in time and it could easily be him. I love FP but he's been walloping proper stayers with speed from the front that just cant pick him up. I like the new blood in the division because I don't think horses like Zanahyir or Bob will have that issue.

I'm not sure it's true that he's been walloping just proper Stayers and speedier types would pick him up, a quick look at this year's race shows 3 horses to have won graded races over shorter trips, klassical dream, song for someone and royal Kahala finished further behind than paisley Park and thyme hill.
The gallop over the distance flooring porter can maintain makes him the champion stayer he is.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Hardy Eustace