• HELP US - Become a Patron - Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated ... a small donation each month would be a huge contribution. Become a Patron!

2023 Stayers Hurdle

I wouldn't say Henry isn't firing. His best horses are running well and winning. He will have Bob as fit as he can for this as this will decide if he's a serious contender in this race or needs to be dropped in distance to see what he can do at 2m.

Henry's had 5 winners in 34 runs

- Slate Steel in a bumper
- Journey with me
- Inthepocket
- Foxygirl in a maiden
- Innovated in a beginners chase

He's had around 14 runners at leop this side of xmas, no winners and his second places have finished 11l, 28l, half a length, and 4lenghts behind the winner

I never had Bob O'linger as a staying type. He was all speed, and still travels too powerfully in his races to be taken as a staying type. Happy to be proven wrong. Would be great to see BO win that race (named after Jack) tomorrow but I'm struggling to see it

A Plus Tard - could well bounce back, but he's been going on for a long time despite his age...

Henry had that magical 1-2 seasons, it was brilliant but I'm looking around his yard and I think they have struggled to recruit new stars
 
In fairness... most of it over fences where he didnt look fluent, most of it he won casually, until he met an absolute freak a lot of us think will walk the gold Cup this year.

In that race he absolutely put Gaillard du Mesnil and Bravemasngame in the dust. I personally don't think it's outrageous to say if he can repeat that form back over smaller obstacles he'll take a lot of beating? Whether you believe it or not is the game, but for a trainer to point it out isn't that outlandish, non?

Did he not completely outspeed gdm and bmg in the ballymore?
 
Henry's had 5 winners in 34 runs

- Slate Steel in a bumper
- Journey with me
- Inthepocket
- Foxygirl in a maiden
- Innovated in a beginners chase

He's had around 14 runners at leop this side of xmas, no winners and his second places have finished 11l, 28l, half a length, and 4lenghts behind the winner

I never had Bob O'linger as a staying type. He was all speed, and still travels too powerfully in his races to be taken as a staying type. Happy to be proven wrong. Would be great to see BO win that race (named after Jack) tomorrow but I'm struggling to see it

A Plus Tard - could well bounce back, but he's been going on for a long time despite his age...

Henry had that magical 1-2 seasons, it was brilliant but I'm looking around his yard and I think they have struggled to recruit new stars

He's operating at a 15% strike rate for the last 14 days which is in line with his season record and his last 5 years in Ireland. His stable isn't like Willies where he is going to have a tonne of bumper, novice hurdle and novice chase winners.

But when he has good ones, he gets them running well and winning.

In the last 14 days, he's had 14 horses go off at 5/1 or lower and had 4 winners and 7 of those place so his fancied runners are generally running well while the ones not fancied aren't.

I don't particularly think Bob is screaming for 3 miles but he is the ideal horse to take advantage if Flooring Porter slows the race down from the front as it makes it easier for BO to see out the trip and use his speed at the end.

Henrys getting plenty of ammunition nowadays as well. In the last year, he's got the following into his stable:

Arctic Bresil An Tobar
Barry the Butcher
Inthepocket
Hiddenvalley Lake
Deep Cave
Mahons Way
Killaney King

​​​​​​There's probably more but he's getting some big money purchases through the door from a variety of owners.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Star De Mohaison
Would love to see Home By The Lee put up another good performance tomorrow, and prove it was no fluke last time.
 
I know it sounds a bit silly, but provided he turns up, I think Klassical Dream getting a small set back and not running here is probably a good thing as he tends to run better when fresh and theyre not going to go and run in the Galmoy this year so I think he will go straight to Cheltenham
 
  • Like
Reactions: Alexmilton
In fairness... most of it over fences where he didnt look fluent, most of it he won casually, until he met an absolute freak a lot of us think will walk the gold Cup this year.

In that race he absolutely put Gaillard du Mesnil and Bravemasngame in the dust. I personally don't think it's outrageous to say if he can repeat that form back over smaller obstacles he'll take a lot of beating? Whether you believe it or not is the game, but for a trainer to point it out isn't that outlandish, non?

Not sure GDM deserves to be in the same sentence as bravemansgame just yet. Maybe this will be his year as he is likeable enough but he hasn’t done anything yet to warrant being a benchmark comparison horse of any great note imo. Genuine question ....would he be used as one if he had a different trainer or if the horses had each other’s trainer would it be widely recognised that the two are not actually in the same parish right now.

he has his opportunity in a very weak grade 1 tomorrow, if he fails to take his chance maybe we should dial it down a bit on him for a little while. Despite this I do believe he will win well tomorrow but he hasn’t done it yet.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Carnage at Taunton
I know it sounds a bit silly, but provided he turns up, I think Klassical Dream getting a small set back and not running here is probably a good thing as he tends to run better when fresh and theyre not going to go and run in the Galmoy this year so I think he will go straight to Cheltenham

Just came on to post exactly this
 
Flooring porter just never looked to be travelling or jumping with any spark there
 
If they had any sense ahoy senor would be reverted to hurdles and running here
 
Flooring porter just never looked to be travelling or jumping with any spark there

All about March with him and he just loves Cheltenham and the Spring ground. Hard work out there today. Winner is a huge improver and fit as you like.
 
Biggest price I can find is 10/1 with BoyleSports

Cant leave it on the table so have put 4pt on
 
365 out to 8/1 for Flooring Porter, had a bit of that, same as last year with a defeat.
 
Flooring porter just never looked to be travelling or jumping with any spark there

jumping was fine tbh, just not enough left in the tank to kick again after the last. still a player in a muddy divison.

starting to like the idea of teahupoo being upped in trip.
 
  • Like
Reactions: FinalFurlong91
I imagine teahupoo will run in the galmoy next
Be interesting to find out whether he does need soft ground or he was just running over trips too short and needed that ground to make it a stamina test

but we likely won't find that out till march as its unlikely to be decent ground for the galmoy