• HELP US - Become a Patron - Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated ... a small donation each month would be a huge contribution. Become a Patron!

2023 Stayers Hurdle

The downhill section is the key though. (check out Paisley Park and Home BY the Lee going downhill last season, they just cannot go with them and then stay on best up the hill)

Flooring Porter races like a 2 miler down the hill and can hold the stayers off sufficiently and still have the stamina to last, because he basically takes a breather as he goes down hill.
The trick for the real stayers is not to get too far behind going down the hill. They won't be able to get upsides.

They'll have to hope he can't last it out like he has the last 2 runnings.

Brilliant insight Quevega - cracking post.
 
  • Like
Reactions: opatcho
The downhill section is the key though. (check out Paisley Park and Home BY the Lee going downhill last season, they just cannot go with them and then stay on best up the hill)

Flooring Porter races like a 2 miler down the hill and can hold the stayers off sufficiently and still have the stamina to last, because he basically takes a breather as he goes down hill.
The trick for the real stayers is not to get too far behind going down the hill. They won't be able to get upsides.

They'll have to hope he can't last it out like he has the last 2 runnings.

And Chemical Cromwell will be feeding different grass over here.

Thats a great observation Q. The last two years have been the exact same. As they turn to go down hill we all think 'Flooring Porter is getting swallowed up here' but he does the exact opposite and extends. I would also add that at Cheltenham DM throws FP at pretty much every hurdle really asking him to jump low and fast whereas yesterday he didn't which makes sense as its all about one race for FP.
 
No one seems to talking about Bob Olinger. What on earth has happened to this horse? He looked a monster as a novice hurdler and now looks a shadow of his former self. There has to be something wrong with him, right? To the point De Bromhead made in advance of yesterdays race, he was staying on just fine in the Ballymore and 3 miles would have looked a breeze but the horse just doesn’t seem interested. Has anyone heard anything?
 
No one seems to talking about Bob Olinger. What on earth has happened to this horse? He looked a monster as a novice hurdler and now looks a shadow of his former self. There has to be something wrong with him, right? To the point De Bromhead made in advance of yesterdays race, he was staying on just fine in the Ballymore and 3 miles would have looked a breeze but the horse just doesn’t seem interested. Has anyone heard anything?

He's gone the same way as Envoi Allen, and Samcro before him. All three looked like the next superstar but haven't really kicked on from their novice hurdle season. They're still good horses, just not at the top of the tree for whatever reason.

Not sure where they go from here with Bob O - they could try 2 miles over hurdles but not sure that is going to help.

Last season's Turners win, might just be his last. It wouldn't surprise me if it was.
 
Cheltenham Novice Chase So sad to see.

My view is that he was a top novice hurdler with a huge engine.

However, I really don’t think he was bad over fences. He wasn’t the best jumper, but he wasn’t bad. He never came off the bridle to win his beginners chase. Then he destroyed Capadanno and Gaillard Du Mesnil this time last year.

I’m certain there is a specific turning point in his career and that’s last years Turners. I’m also fairly certain I can be even more specific, it happened at the 4th last fence of the Turners. I don’t know if it was a specific but unidentified medical issue, or if it was a case of an accumulation of 2m of running a shade too quick trying to go with GDC. But he’s not been the same since.

In my view, it’s not that he doesn’t stay, and not that he doesn’t like fences; it’s that his love for the game went at last years Turners.
 
Cheltenham Novice Chase So sad to see.

My view is that he was a top novice hurdler with a huge engine.

However, I really don’t think he was bad over fences. He wasn’t the best jumper, but he wasn’t bad. He never came off the bridle to win his beginners chase. Then he destroyed Capadanno and Gaillard Du Mesnil this time last year.

I’m certain there is a specific turning point in his career and that’s last years Turners. I’m also fairly certain I can be even more specific, it happened at the 4th last fence of the Turners. I don’t know if it was a specific but unidentified medical issue, or if it was a case of an accumulation of 2m of running a shade too quick trying to go with GDC. But he’s not been the same since.

In my view, it’s not that he doesn’t stay, and not that he doesn’t like fences; it’s that his love for the game went at last years Turners.

I totally agree
 
Cheltenham Novice Chase So sad to see.

My view is that he was a top novice hurdler with a huge engine.

However, I really don’t think he was bad over fences. He wasn’t the best jumper, but he wasn’t bad. He never came off the bridle to win his beginners chase. Then he destroyed Capadanno and Gaillard Du Mesnil this time last year.

I’m certain there is a specific turning point in his career and that’s last years Turners. I’m also fairly certain I can be even more specific, it happened at the 4th last fence of the Turners. I don’t know if it was a specific but unidentified medical issue, or if it was a case of an accumulation of 2m of running a shade too quick trying to go with GDC. But he’s not been the same since.

In my view, it’s not that he doesn’t stay, and not that he doesn’t like fences; it’s that his love for the game went at last years Turners.

Let's face it he was absolutely cooked in the turner's and should probably have been pulled up

Rachel pushing him out to win that race when he had absolutely nothing left to give will have taken him to a dark painful place

Will likely never find off the bridle again as he will remember that pain and have no interest whatsoever of experiencing that again
 
The 50's about three stripe life won't last long
 
I thought screens were up for unexpected depth.

Aye, horrible I thought I could see his leg dangling there but jockey was still on board! Seemed like he was proper struggling to put any weight on it!
 
Willie to chance his arm and try sharjah over 3m here?
 
Willie to chance his arm and try sharjah over 3m here?

Could do but you'd want some pretty momumentally good odds for it wouldn't you?

Interest as a NRNB angle I guess...



I'm tempted by Flooring Porter at 8/1 - just wondering what his NRNB price will be and whether it's worth waiting a few days....
 
  • Like
Reactions: opatcho
Could do but you'd want some pretty momumentally good odds for it wouldn't you?

Interest as a NRNB angle I guess...



I'm tempted by Flooring Porter at 8/1 - just wondering what his NRNB price will be and whether it's worth waiting a few days....

What's your best guess ?
I'd say 9/2 at best.
 
What's your best guess ?
I'd say 9/2 at best.

I'd have said higher than that, 365 might not clip that much....

But, will take 8/1 now I think.
 
I see 365 are being despicable again this year. Greying out cash out on Klassical Dream and still in the betting.

Was greyed out at least a few days before the confirmation of the setback.
 
Reckon anything from the Relkeel on NYD could become a contender here? Few options for it, although not many even quoted here.

​​​​​Think More of That was the last winner of both? But this year's Stayers does look weak. ​​​​​​
 
Reckon anything from the Relkeel on NYD could become a contender here? Few options for it, although not many even quoted here.

​​​​​Think More of That was the last winner of both? But this year's Stayers does look weak. ​​​​​​

Marie's Rock more likely to go Mares Hurdle again but they will consider Stayers depending on what she does today.

If Langer Dan wins then it'll have to be Stayers. More likely he'll finish out the back and be lowered to a Martin Pipe mark
 
Last edited:
Was thinking about First Street but 25/1 for the Stayers isn't even close to enough. I'd take 100s in a win today bet though :beguiled:

Langer Dan actually a bigger price tomorrow than I've got him at for the Stayers haha