I went to visit my dad at the weekend as he's going back to chemo next week, and it's really shaken me up. His condition has really badly deteriorated, but more than that it was the first time he sounded like he'd given up hope. I left to go to some drinks but cancelled as I cried on the tube the whole way home, but I feel guilty as the drinks also felt like an escape cos it was crushing me being there.
I said before that I was so grateful for the extra time his first chemo had given us, and felt I was at peace with what came next, but it turns out I'm really not.
Feel stupid posting into the void, on a horse racing forum no less about this, but since I posted here before I thought it might make me feel better to drop this here
Robith
This is a safe place to write your thoughts, we are pleased you trusted us with this.
Thank you for being so open, it does make complete sense to share your thoughts.
Be strong, your Dad needs that.
Do everything for him that he wants you to do.
Talk about everything he wants to talk about,
Its his time to be the focus of all your family.
Any time you want to chat, come on here
If you want to Message me, please do, or anyone else that offers,
Ive been in your position, I’ve taken time off work to take my Dad to chemo, plenty of times, to his initial cancer diagnosis at the hospital, talking through so many things together, buying the newspapers, taking them into hospital and helping him in writing down his bets when he was on days in a hospital bed, and putting them on for him - to give him something better to focus on.
It’s hard, but in some ways, these days can be rewarding for him and for you.
Take care.
Sax