Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

2024 Novice Hurdlers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Quevega View Post

Where we going with this ?
    Because running a horse over 3 miles on soft isn’t something that I’d be concerned with.
    If Harry is that’s his choice.
    Not a fan of the whole ruin horses mantra myself.
    If someone is that way inclined then maybe the sports not for them ? IMO
    it’s very difficult to really tell for sure if one racecourse experience has ruined a horses career or not.
    The apparent lack of success could be for a variety of reasons.

But not choosing to run a horse in a race because of one other horse, the sport should be for them?

I'd be hugely disappointed if gidleigh park was to run in the albert bartlett on anything other than good to soft or better.
    He's a serious contender for either race, not long now and we'll see which one it'll be

Comment

• Originally posted by AaronLad View Post

But not choosing to run a horse in a race because of one other horse, the sport should be for them?

I'd be hugely disappointed if gidleigh park was to run in the albert bartlett on anything other than good to soft or better.
      He's a serious contender for either race, not long now and we'll see which one it'll be
      I agree, but they appeared to be leaning that way and so my comment was suggesting they’d now fall that way whatever.
      I think extreme ground like heavy could mean no run or ballymore though.
      Doubt soft would bother him. In fact as such a big horse drier ground often worries trainers more as these big units are harder to keep sound or so they say.

Comment

• So who do we all think wins the Supreme now then ?? If we say that Slade Steel now goes for the opener and Il Atlantique sticks to the Ballymore, which horse is going to be victorious??

I'll start it off.....with it likely to be on the Soft side I'd go for Slade Steel to outstay them. He has arguably the best form on offer with his DRF run and I can see him being up there all the way and relishing the Hill. He just has a little more class than the rest IMO and can frank the Ballyburn form.

​​​​​​

Comment

• Gidleigh Park has always looked a likely one for the Albert Bartlett. His pedigree and his performances all indicate the further the better. Last time he was clearly outpaced by Lucky Place, but the ensuing battle might have done him some good. I think the exchanges reflect logic more than anything conclusive. There's been a lot of negative stuff from the jock about the Albert Bartlett, and also talking up the speed of the horse, albeit being spoon fed by the presenter. It reminded me of Cobden talking up Hermes Allen last year. Burke is on a preview tonight, and probably saying something similar. He wouldn't get near Ballyburn, and would be lucky to even place in the Ballymore. So it's that sort of fate, or every chance of winning an Albert Bartlett. It seems a pretty obvious decision to me, but I have very little faith in Fry seeing it the same way, particularly if he takes too much notice of the jock.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lobos View Post
            So who do we all think wins the Supreme now then ?? If we say that Slade Steel now goes for the opener and Il Atlantique sticks to the Ballymore, which horse is going to be victorious??

I'll start it off.....with it likely to be on the Soft side I'd go for Slade Steel to outstay them. He has arguably the best form on offer with his DRF run and I can see him being up there all the way and relishing the Hill. He just has a little more class than the rest IMO and can frank the Ballyburn form.

​​​​​​
            With Ballyburn out, it’s either Slade Steel or Firefox IMO. Watched the replay of Firefox turning Ballyburn over & when asked, the after burners were clinical. Put the race to bed in a matter of strides. That was on Soft too. I’ve discounted his run after, don’t think he saw the trip out & at the 2m mark was bang there, Gullible Gordon’s were running like dross at the time too.

Already on Mistergif e/w so between Firefox & Slade Steel to win for me… don’t think the form of the McManus runners is much to write home about & I can’t sodding work out Asian Master/Anotherway. Think Tullyhill’s jumping will get found out.

Comment

• Shouldn’t Slade Steel be fav for Supreme? Has arguably best form in book

Bookies surely won’t want give an ew price on it on day?

Plus Rachael factor in first race bound to mean it’s over-bet if anything

Fat Jockey Patron (est. Jan 2021)

Comment

So who do we all think wins the Supreme now then ?? If we say that Slade Steel now goes for the opener and Il Atlantique sticks to the Ballymore, which horse is going to be victorious??

​​​​​​
                Mystical Power looking very appealing now. I'd overlooked him previously but I think the money will continue to come in for him and he'll go off short enough. I've covered Slade Steel e/w at 16s which is looking OK. Still couldn't have Tullyhill. I fancy Firefox to place but not sure he's quite good enough to win.

Comment

• The Supreme is actually a fascinating race.

Tullyhill v Jeriko vs Mystical Power vs Slade Steel vs Firefox

Not sure I can remember such an open race since maybe Shishkins win.

Comment

• I'm looking through the runners

Don't know enough about the rags to say definitely but is tullyhill going to get an uncontested lead in front?

Can't see any of the other fancied horses trying to make all

Firefox made all against ballyburn but that was in a 24 runner maiden hurdle with 2 triers

Can't see Slade steel, jeriko or mystical making it

Can't see one of Willie's outsiders taking him on, theyll be given the out the back pick up the pieces type ride that diverge got last year

If it is proper soft and they give him 3 lengths at the start he might not come back

Do like Slade steels running style though, he's a strong traveller and will be staying on strongly up the hill. Henry has said he'd prefer better ground though.

There are no superstars at this stage but most of them strike me as slow burners and could still become one, don't think these will be an appreciate it type who are at their peak for this then plateau.

Comment

​​​​​​
                      Don’t know, it’s wide open by the looks of it.
                      If I had to name one I would say Firefox but not with any huge confidence. He’s probably got the best 2m form.
                      I also think Jeriko will run his best race so far, just not sure if that will be enough.
                      Cant wait though!!
                      Fascinating race.
                      Last edited by Carnage at Taunton; 8 March 2024, 05:25 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by FinalFurlong91 View Post
                        I'm looking through the runners

Don't know enough about the rags to say definitely but is tullyhill going to get an uncontested lead in front?

Can't see any of the other fancied horses trying to make all

Firefox made all against ballyburn but that was in a 24 runner maiden hurdle with 2 triers

Can't see Slade steel, jeriko or mystical making it

Can't see one of Willie's outsiders taking him on, theyll be given the out the back pick up the pieces type ride that diverge got last year

If it is proper soft and they give him 3 lengths at the start he might not come back

Do like Slade steels running style though, he's a strong traveller and will be staying on strongly up the hill. Henry has said he'd prefer better ground though.

There are no superstars at this stage but most of them strike me as slow burners and could still become one, don't think these will be an appreciate it type who are at their peak for this then plateau.
                        If Tellherthename runs, he should take on Tullyhill at the front I'd think or at least race behind so he can't get a breather. If it's soft though, wouldn't surprise me if Pauling pulls him out.

Comment

• I think ignoring an unbeaten jp/Henderson 2 miler with no mullins superstars in the race is a very silly thing

Comment

• Originally posted by SharpHat View Post
                            I think ignoring an unbeaten jp/Henderson 2 miler with no mullins superstars in the race is a very silly thing
                            Yes. I do like listening and reading pre season and stable tour comments and Jeriko is a work in progress. I don't know what went wrong with Firefox the last time but he too was the first one the Elliott camp were eulogising over last Autumn. Firefox and Jericho for me.

​​​​​​

Comment

• I really really like Mistergif and think he's going to run a big race, hurdles brilliantly for a novice - handicapper esque and the conditional on him the last day was really impressed, think I read he couldn't pull him up on heavy ground! Also has 3 runs over hurdles counting the 2 in France so isn't coming in inexperienced

Comment

• Anthony Bromley suggests Mistergif will run in the Supreme and Anotherway won't travel. Readin Tommy Wrong is likely to head to the AB and he hopes Paul will be on board.

Comment

Working...
                                X