Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Gold Cup 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Agree with the comments... can’t see him being any shorter than 7/2 and probably could get 4/1 somewhere.

I thought there was abit of concern sometimes and it didn’t look a strong gallop to me which I think suits him given the last two GC races.

want to take him on but can’t see much to press the button on at the moment

Comment

• I missed the race but a 19 length victory is very impressive on paper. Only Champ left to impress otherwise it’s only Minella who can stop the hat trick. Happy to see ABP is still available at 7/2.

Comment

• Originally posted by The King Pimm View Post
        I missed the race but a 19 length victory is very impressive on paper. Only Champ left to impress otherwise it’s only Minella who can stop the hat trick. Happy to see ABP is still available at 7/2.
        Yeah it's a fair NRNB price.

I'm going to back him with Everton actually .... DCL to ABP

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post

Went off 10/3 last year, same as that maybe?

I'll end up with a nice return on him but not rushing.
          Guess it depends a bit on Champ and Minella Indo between now and then, but agree, dont think it will be much different to that!

Comment

• I think I’m going to have to bite the bullet and lump on ABP at 7/2 now NRNB is available, I can’t see him drifting if Willie only plans to run him once before going fresh to the Festival

Comment

• ....Sky appear to have taken down their a/r market, was checking to see if they’d left ABM @ 5-1.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eggs View Post
                ....Sky appear to have taken down their a/r market, was checking to see if they’d left ABM @ 5-1.
                They do this from time to time, to update it, then put it back up.
                "Journeys to Glory, breathing in his head".

Comment

• What happened to acapella bourgois then lol

Went from looking like he was cruising to stopping like he'd been hit with a tranquilliser

Guessing they didn't want to ruin his mark by finishing too close to al boum

Comment

• Originally posted by FinalFurlong91 View Post
                    What happened to acapella bourgois then lol

Went from looking like he was cruising to stopping like he'd been hit with a tranquilliser

Guessing they didn't want to ruin his mark by finishing too close to al boum
                    Yep, when ABP went upsides and edged ahead the handbrake was applied, he could definitely have got to within 6-8l but pulling up and being beat 19l works well in they fancy a handicap thought that's unlikely to be at Cheltenham...

Comment

• I'll have to watch it back again but did anyone think his jumping was a little average at times?

I agree, he's obviously a class horse but I can't take to him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Altior View Post
                        I'll have to watch it back again but did anyone think his jumping was a little average at times?

I agree, he's obviously a class horse but I can't take to him.
                        I don't think it's ever been better than average

If you didn't know he'd won two Gold Cups, imagine watching that race today in isolation and backing it for the Gold Cup at 4/1.

It would be laughable.

A silly thing to say on my part as the relevance is he HAS won 2 Gold Cups, but it amused me as I thought it.

Comment

• Very happy with ABP, he always a couple of fences and he will in March, the thing is hes a clever horse and seems to correct himself very quickly, probably learnt from when he fell against PP. Still the one to beat in my mind against some doubtful stayers and out of form horses.

Comment

• Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post
                            I can't take to the horse. A dual Gold Cup winner running round Tramore

It's no wonder the horse they refer to in the Donnelly colours is Shishkin.
                            I’m pretty sure most punters/Donnelly/Mullins don’t give 2 hoots about if we take to a horse or not.

Whilst I might agree with you not taking to the horse because all he does in his other race annually is canter around Tramore, I’m pretty sure the Athletics world doesn’t give 2 hoots if Usain Bolt ran around a school playground in prep for a 100/200 metres double at the Olympics (his Jamaican trials a year before his winning Olympics he literally walked them and lost), or if Klopp rests all his Liverpool players for the cup competitions ensuring he’s in the best place to win a Premier League or Champions League or Roger Federer playing a tiny little tournament in Germany before Wimbledon every year instead of Queens where all the big guns play.

Liverpool in the last 4 years & Roger Federer have become, and have been for 15 years revered and have been ‘taken in’ by the majority.

We shouldn’t ‘not take to a horse’ beacause his a) prep seems a waste of time b) he’s got a really weird name that nobody can actually work out and c) it’s not Ruby winning for Mullins any more or even d) his novice career was a little unpredictable.

He’s a dual Gold Cup winner. There ain’t too many of ‘em. And with that should come the hugest of respect.

Let’s not beat around the bush, if Envoi Allen ends up winning 2 Gold Cups, the racing world and all punters will end hailing him the Messiah, even if he only equals Al Boum P’s 2 Gold Cups. And yet......it’ll.......be the same achievement.

Will Novak Djokovic not have been a better tennis player if he overtakes Roger Federer’s grand slam record maybe in the next 18 months?? Nearly everyone will say ‘of course not, Roger was class and Novak....I never took to that guy’.

The only thing that really matters is what they win and how they get there. Whether it’s dawdling around Tramore or tough it it out in a 15 strong field at Leopardstown a few days before.

Comment

• Let that be a lesson to you Faugheen_Machine

Comment

• Originally posted by EnvoyAllen View Post
                                We shouldn’t ‘not take to a horse’ beacause his a) prep seems a waste of time b) he’s got a really weird name that nobody can actually work out and c) it’s not Ruby winning for Mullins any more or even d) his novice career was a little unpredictable.
                                Surely it's a matter of personal preference whether one takes to a horse or not (from a non punting side at least).

Comment

Working...
                                X