Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Queen Mother Champion Chase 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rory Delargy was talking about him on the Matchbook podcast yesterday. Interesting horse still and tonnes of ability.

I could see Quevega's view on SC in that he's a possible for stepping up in trip on faster ground. A bit like Un De Sceux if you will.

Comment

Originally posted by jack1092 View Post
      Rory Delargy was talking about him on the Matchbook podcast yesterday. Interesting horse still and tonnes of ability.

I could see Quevega's view on SC in that he's a possible for stepping up in trip on faster ground. A bit like Un De Sceux if you will.
      Had a text about that this morning. I can't wait to listen ... does he mention stepping up in trip? !

Comment

I can't remember if he did to be honest!

It's well worth a listen, much improved. As much as the FFP is light hearted banter at times, EK can become tedious with his jokes...Tom Stanley offers a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
          Had a text about that this morning. I can't wait to listen ... does he mention stepping up in trip? !
          SC covered from 8.54 - 12:51. No mention of him stepping up in trip. https://soundcloud.com/matchbookbettingpodcast

Comment

The breeding of Saint Calvados and the progeny statistics strongly suggest staying would be his game, as it's full of horses who have improved for the trip and/or for deeper going.
            I know Harry mentioned before it ran in the arkle last year about possibility of JLT (I covered both races), but the article I found last night published in racing post in september - he seems set on 2 miles for now, citing his cruising speed and power in the middle of his races, which I understand totally, except for the arkle when that was where he seemed to struggle.

Comment

Originally posted by quevega View Post
              The breeding of Saint Calvados and the progeny statistics strongly suggest staying would be his game, as it's full of horses who have improved for the trip and/or for deeper going.
              I know Harry mentioned before it ran in the arkle last year about possibility of JLT (I covered both races), but the article I found last night published in racing post in september - he seems set on 2 miles for now, citing his cruising speed and power in the middle of his races, which I understand totally, except for the arkle when that was where he seemed to struggle.
              I don't think he struggled to lay up in the middle part of the Arkle, he was quite clearly lit up?

If you take the Arkle at face value then he wouldn't have won any of the races he did before he ran in it... it clearly has to be ignored as a piece of form (as it does for Petit Mouchoir)

The worry you'd (I) have is that any horse taking him on may create the same result.... he seems to only have one way of racing at this stage.

...and obviously I'm very pleased to hear the podcast:
              Rory makes a much better case than I do...
              Will be under estimated and labelled a flat track bully
              Jumping very impressive
              Won Kingmaker by 23L
              Performances on the clock are extraordinary and top class
              Plenty of options for him
              May need a flatish track? May need soft ground?
              So much class, interesting to see him in a handicap at some stage - Under the radar a little bit?
              Think he'll hold his own against the best
              Bound to pay his way
              Last edited by Kevloaf; 24 October 2018, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
                I don't think he struggled to lay up in the middle part of the Arkle, he was quite clearly lit up?

If you take the Arkle at face value then he wouldn't have won any of the races he did before he ran in it... it clearly has to be ignored as a piece of form (as it does for Petit Mouchoir)

The worry you'd (I) have is that any horse taking him on may create the same result.... he seems to only have one way of racing at this stage.

...and obviously I'm very pleased to hear the podcast:
                Rory makes a much better case than I do...
                Will be under estimated and labelled a flat track bully
                Jumping very impressive
                Won Kingmaker by 23L
                Performances on the clock are extraordinary and top class
                Plenty of options for him
                May need a flatish track? May need soft ground?
                So much class, interesting to see him in a handicap at some stage - Under the radar a little bit?
                Think he'll hold his own against the best
                Bound to pay his way
                He fell away between the fourth and third last, like a stone, and lit up or not, Petit Mouchoir who was upsides during first half of race didn't do the same. To be fair I think it was too bad to be his true form, and he carried head right for most of way.

You did well to sum him (rory) up, cos that fella can really warble when he gets going.
                Last edited by Kevloaf; 24 October 2018, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jonthehammer View Post
                  Cadmium cut yesterday to 25s from 40s. My mate has a part share in this (SHR club) and would just be happy to bowl along and get home safe as he doesn’t think he will trouble the major players. I’ll keep you posted on any change but This is his target.
                  Cadmium's form was given a nice boost by Cubomania at Cheltenham yesterday. While the QM is the most likely target, at this stage I wouldn't entirely rule out the Ryanair or one of the handicaps.

Comment

Originally posted by archie View Post
                    Cadmium's form was given a nice boost by Cubomania at Cheltenham yesterday. While the QM is the most likely target, at this stage I wouldn't entirely rule out the Ryanair or one of the handicaps.
                    Im on at 25s any race so happy

Comment

I'm throwing one out there - Great Field - Champion Chase

You'd be hard pressed to find a horse who has loved the transition to fences more than Great Field. Rumour has it a few names politely refused the ride when watching this animal schooling, and during his first three demolitions over in Ireland it became quite clear why. He's the Paul Walker of National Hunt.

I was much more impressed by his latest run in Navan last March where he comfortably put away a solid yardstick in Doctor Phoenix. He was measured in this round of jumping, despite understandably tiring close to home in heavy ground.

Obviously a fragile horse we've only seen him race once in 18 months, but I think this has allowed him to go under the radar compared to what we have seen on the track. At 25/1 this price reflects the strength and depth of the yard he's from, but on a closer look you'd think it is certainly possible Great Field ends up the Mullins A-string come March.

At 3/1 Footpad holds the best claims with his usually flawless jumping and probably one of the performances of the 2018 festival. However he's also the horse with the most potential of stepping up in trip. Mullins Gold Cup hand (ABP, Bellshill) is average at best, and if the yard rumours we are hearing today that Footpad may take in the King George are true, you'd have to consider it now more than a remote chance he lines up for the blue riband event. A strong performance in the King George (which to be fair, he looks tailor made for) would only serve to solidify this. Running over the others; Min has been proved on several occasions now to be below the class, UDS needs it heavy to be shown at best effect here and Douvan is reported lame again today - you can't take ante post on a horse with his profile.

At 25/1 each-way I think Great Field is a knocking bet as this is his only realistic target, and I would even fancy him to give Altior a proper shake up. Given his exhilarating, front running style of racing it's quite possible they won't be able to reel him back in.

PS: nice to meet everyone

Comment

Originally posted by bobbyvalentino View Post
                        I'm throwing one out there - Great Field - Champion Chase

You'd be hard pressed to find a horse who has loved the transition to fences more than Great Field. Rumour has it a few names politely refused the ride when watching this animal schooling, and during his first three demolitions over in Ireland it became quite clear why. He's the Paul Walker of National Hunt.

I was much more impressed by his latest run in Navan last March where he comfortably put away a solid yardstick in Doctor Phoenix. He was measured in this round of jumping, despite understandably tiring close to home in heavy ground.

Obviously a fragile horse we've only seen him race once in 18 months, but I think this has allowed him to go under the radar compared to what we have seen on the track. At 25/1 this price reflects the strength and depth of the yard he's from, but on a closer look you'd think it is certainly possible Great Field ends up the Mullins A-string come March.

At 3/1 Footpad holds the best claims with his usually flawless jumping and probably one of the performances of the 2018 festival. However he's also the horse with the most potential of stepping up in trip. Mullins Gold Cup hand (ABP, Bellshill) is average at best, and if the yard rumours we are hearing today that Footpad may take in the King George are true, you'd have to consider it now more than a remote chance he lines up for the blue riband event. A strong performance in the King George (which to be fair, he looks tailor made for) would only serve to solidify this. Running over the others; Min has been proved on several occasions now to be below the class, UDS needs it heavy to be shown at best effect here and Douvan is reported lame again today - you can't take ante post on a horse with his profile.

At 25/1 each-way I think Great Field is a knocking bet as this is his only realistic target, and I would even fancy him to give Altior a proper shake up. Given his exhilarating, front running style of racing it's quite possible they won't be able to reel him back in.

PS: nice to meet everyone
                        Great first post Bobby! Welcome!
                        I threw a Free Bet at Great Field for this back in April - only 20/1 then...

With Great Field (and any antepost bet for that matter) you have to factor in whether he will actually get there and run.
                        It is fairly certain that this is his distance, so you "only" then need to concern yourself with his well-being and any potential Mullins Bingo.
                        It he runs, I would expect him to make the frame.

Comment

Slight negative I guess is that he's won 6 out of 7 races for Mullins.

The only race he didn't win, he was pulled up. At Cheltenham. His only course visit.

Comment

Originally posted by Innoko View Post

The only race he didn't win, he was pulled up. At Cheltenham. His only course visit.
                            True, but he was then off the track for nearly a year - so I imagine that something was amiss.
                            Happy to strike a line through that... (cos it suits my argument! )

Comment

Originally posted by Innoko View Post

He was joint favourite for a County Hurdle so there was some confidence behind him. If you watch the race back there's no early gallop and he races far too freely. It was only his second run for Mullins so, like Leman, I'd be happy to put a line through.

Comment

Douvan injury scare

Comment

Working...
                                X