• HELP US - Become a Patron - Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated ... a small donation each month would be a huge contribution. Become a Patron!

MARTIN PIPE Conditionals Handicap Hurdle

I don't think Willie wants to win any of the handicaps at Cheltenham this year after the two winners he's had so far today at Thurles winning but half the track
 
  • Like
Reactions: Eudipe
I find it funny personally that when I got into racing this was probably the race I cared about the least - now it's probably the handicap I expend the most mental energy on!

It’s the Grand Annual for me. I look at it probably 50 times March and never find anything I want to bet. Before eventually thinking early March I’ve found one, here some comments from the trainer about them being well handicapped, do my absolute bollox on it and watch it trail in 8th and never being in the race. Every year.

I know we’re not on the thread but if anyone has the winner, please share because it hurts my head just thinking about it. :glee:
 
It’s the Grand Annual for me. I look at it probably 50 times March and never find anything I want to bet. Before eventually thinking early March I’ve found one, here some comments from the trainer about them being well handicapped, do my absolute bollox on it and watch it trail in 8th and never being in the race. Every year.

I know we’re not on the thread but if anyone has the winner, please share because it hurts my head just thinking about it. :glee:

Buddy Rich :encouragement:
 
"His fitness made the difference and he appreciates the drier ground rather than real winter ground. He can go out in trip. We'll look for races at home and the Michael Purcell Hurdle back here could be a good option for him."
@WillieMullinsNH on 3/10 fav Adamantly Chosen
 
Thoughts on Adamantly Chosen after that people?

Surely can’t be rated any higher than 140 given previous runs and what’s Willie got that is likely to be better handicapped? I can only think of Kilcruit and he’s Supreme bound :confused:

Taking Willie’s comments lightly if he ends up high 130s!
 
Anyone got a thought on Ash Tree Meadows mark after that defeat?

Gave a over a stone away and beaten 9L- if it keeps him at a nice mark it wouldn’t be the worst runner up run ever and I’m sure he’d be better in a bigger field at a good pace.
 
Anyone got a thought on Ash Tree Meadows mark after that defeat?

Gave a over a stone away and beaten 9L- if it keeps him at a nice mark it wouldn’t be the worst runner up run ever and I’m sure he’d be better in a bigger field at a good pace.

Actually gave 8 pounds to The Little Yank (once allowance is factored in). His implicit rating was 133 today and he may get a one or two pound reduction; leaving him on the cusp of getting in. Suspect the handicapper found it difficult to rate his form and just wanted to balance giving him a rating that would get him into this race (below 135) with one at the higher end of the rating band for this race.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Al Ferof and Eudipe
Actually gave 8 pounds to The Little Yank (once allowance is factored in). His implicit rating was 133 today and he may get a one or two pound reduction; leaving him on the cusp of getting in. Suspect the handicapper found it difficult to rate his form and just wanted to balance giving him a rating that would get him into this race (below 135) with one at the higher end of the rating band for this race.

Thanks BOF :smile-new:

Can I just ask (as I’m not very good with how the weights work)- it shows TLY on 10st 13lb and Ash Tree Meadow 11st 12lb on the RP results.

You’ve then got Liam Quinlans 5lb claim on TLY to factor in right?
 
Thanks BOF :smile-new:

Can I just ask (as I’m not very good with how the weights work)- it shows TLY on 10st 13lb and Ash Tree Meadow 11st 12lb on the RP results.

You’ve then got Liam Quinlans 5lb claim on TLY to factor in right?

The weights on the results page factor in the jockey's claim, they don't on the racecard.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Al Ferof
What is the criteria for jockeys to ride in this race and who are the top conditionals that do qualify?
 
What is the criteria for jockeys to ride in this race and who are the top conditionals that do qualify?

Conditionals/Apprentices can ride, I think the best conditionals as of right now are probably Jordan Gainford, Shane Fitzgerald and Jack Foley, maybe Kevin Brogan too
 
Conditionals must be employed by a trainer and be aged 16-26. They can ride in this race provided they haven't ridden more than 75 winners or had ridden less than 75 within the last six months. (eg Mitchell Bastyan lost his claim at the end of January but will remain a Conditional for the rest of the season).
One thing to note is that riders in Ireland lose their claim after 60 rides but could still ride in this race subject to above criteria
This is a link to the UK Championship standings https://www.thepja.co.uk/championshi...-championship/
and to the Irish one: https://www.goracing.ie/racing-stati...ading-jockeys/
 
  • Like
Reactions: Deleted member 4957
Conditionals/Apprentices can ride, I think the best conditionals as of right now are probably Jordan Gainford, Shane Fitzgerald and Jack Foley, maybe Kevin Brogan too

Would you know if Sean O'Keefe is still a conditional Jockey this year? Trying to look it up last week and couldn't find anything on it
 
What's people's thoughts on Cap Du Mathan coming here and if he did,what chance he would have?
He has had his troubles last year but always thought he looked like he had some class. Won very well at Taunton lto, and is down to run the weekend. Would be needing to win to ensure getting in you'd think. Currently 25/1, could be half that if he wins well again. PN, historically has a pretty good record in this. Minded to have a small play before the weekend provided he runs.
 
What's people's thoughts on Cap Du Mathan coming here and if he did,what chance he would have?
He has had his troubles last year but always thought he looked like he had some class. Won very well at Taunton lto, and is down to run the weekend. Would be needing to win to ensure getting in you'd think. Currently 25/1, could be half that if he wins well again. PN, historically has a pretty good record in this. Minded to have a small play before the weekend provided he runs.

May go Coral Cup I thought but will probably need to win this weekend to get in.
 
May go Coral Cup I thought but will probably need to win this weekend to get in.

Yea I saw he was priced up for, and potentially could go to that as well. His back form is pretty decent, either race he goes for he could be one well ahead of his mark provided his injury absence hasn't had a lasting effect.