Quevega
FJPatron - DGCup Winner 2026
- Joined
- Feb 19, 2018
- Messages
- 22,508
- Reaction score
- 6,859
- Points
- 83
I think he's been retired. A lot of racing media announced it as official as far as I remember.What's the latest with State Man, was suggested in here he would be retired but not seen anything confirmed...
Have heard the same but until it's properly out there we can't be certain. I wouldn't be going anywhere near him though.What's the latest with State Man, was suggested in here he would be retired but not seen anything confirmed...
Riding arrangements are more important nearer the Spring if and when Mullins has more than one serious contender in a race.Very interesting Q.
A HUGE amount will depend on what Paul can and wants to ride in any of the races. Willie has made it very clear that having his top jockey on board in all the top races is very, very important and he moves them around accordingly sometimes, as he has said, to the detriment of the horse. At least when we are talking about JP's horses that problem doesn't exist which helps to a certain extent.
Agreed. We can nearly always see a pattern arising as the season progresses and as the years go by it does get easier to 2nd guess Willie and more importantly Paul.Riding arrangements are more important nearer the Spring if and when Mullins has more than one serious contender in a race.
But early season they will all likely have Townend on their back as they'll mostly be kept apart, especially novices of last season.
Mourne Crystal again
Ferguson (jumpers to follow) and the PTP's
Find it odd that The Bookies (Hills apart) aren't biting..........Mourne Crystal again
This thing had better be a weapon![]()
I know. There is a huge disparity.Find it odd that The Bookies (Hills apart) aren't biting..........![]()
Best price 33s now Supreme. Still available at 100/1 for the Turners though but only with paddy and skybetFind it odd that The Bookies (Hills apart) aren't biting..........![]()
Was he any bigger for the Supreme?Best price 33s now Supreme. Still available at 100/1 for the Turners though but only with paddy and skybet
No, you're right. Just asked ChatGPT for it's Oddschecker price history. Not been bigger than 33s. Been trimmed to 25s on some. I had it in my head he was about the same for both.Was he any bigger for the Supreme?
Regarding the Arkle 'Q', Magnifico Conti?Been looking at the Champion hurdle market today.
I've already backed
Idaho Sun 1pt 33-1
Mydaddypaddy 1pt 14-1
King Rasko Grey 1pt 25-1
Talk the Talk 0.5pt 200+
Not sure I'll back anything else for now, and will cover Lossiemouth at some point.
But my main point in this comment is related to Mullins and his relative lack of options in some of the markets next year.
I'd be amazed if he goes into this season with just one serious grade 1 open hurdler (Lossie)
Apart from the fact she can't run in all of the grade 1's, if she also gets a knock then he's letting some serious prizes go astray to other trainers.
So, with this in mind, I think at least 1 of the following will start off the season in Hurdle company.
King Rasko Grey,
Kopek des Bordes (could obviously revert at some point if needed)
Narciso Has.
Obviously Willie might not get much say in what Narciso Has does, but I think he may well be wanting to persuade JP to let this one go hurdling. But he's unlikely to be too disappointed if he goes the arkle route.
If he does get his way with Narciso, as he's a 4yr old still, then I think Willie will still favour one of the others going hurdling also.
It makes most sense to me that King Rasko Grey (I've backed for arkle and C Hurdle) stays hurdling, but it will leave him short of arkle contenders, so this may well hinge on Narciso Has.
If he ends up short of 2 mile novice chasers then He's on Fire could go for the 2 mile races but then he'll be short in the 3 mile division.
In fact he's pretty sparse with serious challengers in a few of the grade 1's at this stage. This will without doubt be upmost in his thinking when deciding season targets for his novice hurdlers from last season.
We will need to be quick on the draw once we start hearing news of intentions for some of these.
It'll have a knock on effect on some of his other less talked about/forgotten horses - especially for the Brown Advisory,
Horses like .......
Laurets Destruval (bred for chasing)
Doctor Steinberg
Sortudo (also got decent breeding for staying chaser)
This musing led me to cover He's On Fire for the arkle (already backed months ago for the BA)
And sortudo and Doctor S for the browns on the exchange.
Thinking costs money
I'm going to go and watch Bobby Fingers now.![]()