• HELP US - Become a Patron - Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated ... a small donation each month would be a huge contribution. Become a Patron!

Champion Hurdle 2020

He’s a Grade 1 winner on good so ground is one of the worries I wouldn’t have.

He was entitled to win against the opposition in the Champion Novice at Punch but did look a stayer based on his two wins prior to the Supreme which is why they were thinking Ballymore at the Fez.
 
The ground won't be an issue for Klassical Dream. It's just that softer ground would probably hurt the chances of some of his rivals.

The reason that they were leaning towards the Ballymore last season was that they wanted to keep him and Aramon apart. The rain scuppered Aramon's chances and it was decided that the Supreme was an easier option.

If you want to hedge about a better ground Champion Hurdle this season you could do worse than look at Aramon.
 
Choices choices
No choice this year.

Indeed. But that's not my point. Clearly his only option is the Churdle but quicker ground will reduce his chances and bring others closer to him.
 
Indeed. But that's not my point. Clearly his only option is the Churdle but quicker ground will reduce his chances and bring others closer to him.

I don’t think so.
Not a ground obsessive myself, generally
 
The ground won't be an issue for Klassical Dream. It's just that softer ground would probably hurt the chances of some of his rivals.

The reason that they were leaning towards the Ballymore last season was that they wanted to keep him and Aramon apart. The rain scuppered Aramon's chances and it was decided that the Supreme was an easier option.

If you want to hedge about a better ground Champion Hurdle this season you could do worse than look at Aramon.

Is he staying over hurdles archie?

Haven't even looked at his price yet)

Was hoping for 40/1 -66/1
Not for me at the prices.
 
He was entitled to win against the opposition in the Champion Novice at Punch but did look a stayer based on his two wins prior to the Supreme which is why they were thinking Ballymore at the Fez.

The choice they had between Ballymore/Supreme, coupled with KD beating grade 1 winner Aramon on good ground, tells you all you need to know about KD’s versatility so I really wouldn’t worry about ground. I get your point and whilst not the deepest race, nothing is entitled to win a grade 1. I echo what Archie said re Aramon, certainly worse bets to be had.
 
Is he staying over hurdles archie?

Haven't even looked at his price yet)

Was hoping for 40/1 -66/1
Not for me at the prices.

I think that's the way they will go in the end.

Ruby admitted that he should have won at Aintree and the horse was gone by Punchestown. The way I look at it is that, if he shows good form early he will shorten in the market because there are many in the betting that are likely non-runners. If he hasn't improved much he's on a fair mark and could easily go the handicap route so 20/1 any race looks the best option.
 
I think that's the way they will go in the end.

Ruby admitted that he should have won at Aintree and the horse was gone by Punchestown. The way I look at it is that, if he shows good form early he will shorten in the market because there are many in the betting that are likely non-runners. If he hasn't improved much he's on a fair mark and could easily go the handicap route so 20/1 any race looks the best option.

They did give felix desjy a bit of a soft one upfront. Especially on the flatter track.

I have to admit hes 100% better value then the likes of Pentland hills, ( i'm astounded at his price of 10/1)
But the 1/5 the odds on EW is a killer these days.

For the champion alone.
£10 ew on aramon at 25s. Your only getting 2/1 the place, assuming he doesn't win ofcourse.
 
Mullins Regarding KD (via ATR):

“Klassical Dream might go to Down Royal (WKD Hurdle), but I would say that the Morgiana in Punchestown is more likely where we will start him off.

“He has been very good at home.”
 
This far ahead, with so many things that can go wrong, I'd only be looking to protect the win portion with a place so I'd spend £20 as £10 win and £5 ew or even £12 win and £4 ew.
Truth be told, I probably would leave well alone until Paddy P quotes a price.
 
Think I could be tempted by Angels Breath at 50/1 now Nicky mentions him staying hurdling, anyone any thoughts?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
One I am interested in Billy.

I think we will see a different horse with a better prep, and I'd prefer him to Pentland Hills & Fusil Raffles.

Just taken the small amount of 70's and a little of the 55's on the exchanges, but minimal stakes!
 
Last edited:
Done a double last night.
Be Ahead won 10/11
Angels Breath 50/1 Champ Hurd
 
Think I cud be tempted by Angels Breath at 50/1 now Nicky mentions him staying hurdling, anyone any thoughts?

Do you think they might put him up in trip, doesn't seem an out and out 2 miler and went over intermediate trip at Aintree
 
Do you think they might put him up in trip, doesn't seem an out and out 2 miler and went over intermediate trip at Aintree

Might during the season.

Usually need to get 2 and a half at some stage to prove you have the stamina needed for a strongly run 2 mile CH though (as the cliche goes)
 
Think I could be tempted by Angels Breath at 50/1 now Nicky mentions him staying hurdling, anyone any thoughts?

Billy i read Hendos comments about AB and his remark "unfinished business"certainly says to me that Nicky thinks he a lot better than he shown so far.

I backed him last night for Champion as alternative to my main plunge on Saldier , and though he might go up in trip im happy to take the gamble.
 
Yeah i think ill have a go for a smallish stake at that kind of price, I know they thought he was very good last year from his homework.
 
Klassical dream beat AB easily not in a million years can I see the form being reversed I personally think KD is very good
 
He's obviously a big price but I couldn't be having Angel's Breath at all right now. Certainly not over hurdles still and he's absolutely one I'd want to see lay down a proper marker even if it saw his price half. A lot of respectable people had high hope's for him last year and that belief may still hold true in the long term but for me he's an 'all talk no substance" horse for me. His win last year was bit of a joke of a race which hasn't held up form wise. Didn't feature in the Supreme and then Aintree on paper looked like an improvement finishing behind 2 decent horses but when you look at who finished behind it was probably the bare minimum of where he should have finished.

If they were to send him over a fence I think I'd have more interest but for now he's in the Charli Parcs category for me :devilish: