• HELP US - Become a Patron - Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated ... a small donation each month would be a huge contribution. Become a Patron!

2023 Stayers Hurdle

Might I could be a Springer in the market. Well backed for the Staying HCP Hurdle race this ?oming weekend. He's got hurdle form from last season with all the top novices . Gone a little under the radar I feel at 40/1.
 
  • Like
Reactions: DenmanSacre
'I wouldn't be discounting Home By The Lee. I was surprised he was still 25/1 for the race and I may go in on him still, as an E/W play. He ran with credit in the race last season, and could be on the improve still.'


Agreed COD. He could do what Flooring did the first season he won it. I'll perhaps wait until his 2nd run though as this weekends race was run in a slow time and he looked to hit plenty of flat spots during the race. Even if he won next time I'd expect a decent price on him still.
 
Might I could be a Springer in the market. Well backed for the Staying HCP Hurdle race this ?oming weekend. He's got hurdle form from last season with all the top novices . Gone a little under the radar I feel at 40/1.

Getting shorter already in the market. Opened at 6s with Betfair yesterday and down to 7/2.

​​​
 
'I wouldn't be discounting Home By The Lee. I was surprised he was still 25/1 for the race and I may go in on him still, as an E/W play. He ran with credit in the race last season, and could be on the improve still.'


Agreed COD. He could do what Flooring did the first season he won it. I'll perhaps wait until his 2nd run though as this weekends race was run in a slow time and he looked to hit plenty of flat spots during the race. Even if he won next time I'd expect a decent price on him still.

Agreed too! RPR 160. Wasn't disgraced in the stayers last year - 6th and 'in the pack' behind FP. Was a very narrow second to Royal Kahala at Galway when Willie inexplicably tried to squeeze an extra run in to KD.

Also, I think JJ Slevin has made a conscious decision to ride him different this year - make it more of a test further out and bring his staying ability to the fore. Wouldn't surprise me if FP tried backing them up again like last year if Home By The Lee doesn't just take off past him. Not sure he'd win, but I like his place prospects.
 
I think this market looks ripe for a bet tbf

Blazing khal injured
State man won't run
The nice guy injured
Klassical dream will run
Buzz injured
Bob olinger won't stay imo
Sir gerhard won't run
Marie's rock unlikely runner
Brandy love won't run
Home by the Lee surely not good enough
Monkfish won't run
proschemma surely not good enough

really looks a very very weak division and don't think anyone would be far away from the winner backing flooring porter at 5/1 and klassical dream at 12/1

Klassical dream looked a windy stayer to me last year but seeing how much this betting will cut up he surely goes off 5/1-6/1 on the day potentially even shorter if he wins at leopardstown again

I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see Marie’s end up here. Personally I think it is the perfect race for her. She has been finishing her races off strongly with a turn of foot as well and is steadily improving. She is game as a pebble and bred very much to appreciate a step up in trip by Milan out of a flemensfirth mare. Her run over in Ireland screamed step up in trip imo. Interesting to note the race comments that day .....soon ridden and outpaced, keeping on approaching last....ran on to lead run in. Trainer has twice mentioned 3 miles so it is clearly on his mind already.
 
Josh Stacey tweeted today that “Marie’s Rock ‘isn’t ready’ to step up to three miles yet and is likely to return in the Relkeel Hurdle at Cheltenham (Jan 1), confirms Nicky Henderson”
 
Josh Stacey tweeted today that “Marie’s Rock ‘isn’t ready’ to step up to three miles yet and is likely to return in the Relkeel Hurdle at Cheltenham (Jan 1), confirms Nicky Henderson”

I'd think she may run over 3 miles at Aintree or punchestown after the mares hurdle
 
Interesting, I’d read that as Nicky saying it wasn’t on, but I guess if the division looks very weak…
 
I am so reluctant to back Flooring Porter, have been for the last 2 seasons.... and paid the price!
5/1 is starting to look a bit silly. Once again, I'm digging deep into the antepost market, making a case for 33/1's shots, who have yet to run over 3 mile and may not even turn up

Starting to double him up and will looking to back him when he's on level weights, back over 3 miles in a double for the fez

This division is shocking!
 
I am so reluctant to back Flooring Porter, have been for the last 2 seasons.... and paid the price!
5/1 is starting to look a bit silly. Once again, I'm digging deep into the antepost market, making a case for 33/1's shots, who have yet to run over 3 mile and may not even turn up

Starting to double him up and will looking to back him when he's on level weights, back over 3 miles in a double for the fez

This division is shocking!

I'll be on the Flooring Porter roll up train soon. At 5/1 stick him in doubles with even money shots and just chip away.
 
  • Like
Reactions: NeptuneCollonges
'I wouldn't be discounting Home By The Lee. I was surprised he was still 25/1 for the race and I may go in on him still, as an E/W play. He ran with credit in the race last season, and could be on the improve still.'


Agreed COD. He could do what Flooring did the first season he won it. I'll perhaps wait until his 2nd run though as this weekends race was run in a slow time and he looked to hit plenty of flat spots during the race. Even if he won next time I'd expect a decent price on him still.

I hope you pulled the trigger Lobos or plan to do so soon! I know you and others don't like his tips/form, but unfortunately he moves markets and has mentioned in the weekender he backed him! (Pricewise)
 
Marie's Rock entered in the 3M Mares Listed race at Kempton on Monday.

Only 5 entries.

Maybe they dont mind her trying her over 3M.

If she can beat Molly Ollys Wishes. Miranda and Martello Sky well enough there then you'd expect she's going to price cut into close to 2nd fav for the Stayers.

Whether she actually goes there or not in March or not, the markets going to react to a 3M win.
 
Last edited:
Marie's Rock entered in the 3M Mares Listed race at Kempton on Monday.

Only 5 entries.

Maybe they dont mind her trying her over 3M.

If she can beat Molly Ollys Wishes. Miranda and Martello Sky well enough there then you'd expect she's going to price cut into close to 2nd fav for the Stayers.

Whether she actually goes there or not in March or not, the markets going to react to a 3M win.

She should get 3m on a flat track like Kempton, and I assume if she doesn't they probably won't be targeting the Stayers this season.
 
Might I could be a Springer in the market. Well backed for the Staying HCP Hurdle race this ?oming weekend. He's got hurdle form from last season with all the top novices . Gone a little under the radar I feel at 40/1.

I've just backed him for the race at the weekend, I can then roll him up for the Stayers if he's impressive enough. I'll probably get a better accumulated price doing it this way. He needs to be winning it and winning well, the race is full of handicappers and some old horses, and he's likely going to be getting weight off plenty of them too.
 
Sort of hoping Marie's Rock wins next week and does go to the Stayers. Don't see her beating Flooring but she'd be out of the equation in the Mares Hurdle which will help.
 
  • Like
Reactions: opatcho
…Harry Fry re Might I:

”I still can’t believe we won only one race with him over hurdles last season but he did bump into Constitution Hill conceding weight & then Jonbon before finishing runner-up in G1 hurdle at Aintree. He is set to reappear on Saturday in the valuable stayers hurdle on Betfair Chase day. It is a step up in trip but he is a half brother to Stattler who won the NHC so we are hopeful he will stay. He is an exciting 2nd season hurdler for us.”
 
Sort of hoping Marie's Rock wins next week and does go to the Stayers. Don't see her beating Flooring but she'd be out of the equation in the Mares Hurdle which will help.

Won't run next week. MPR not that keen on the stayers as she can be free going but Nicky has half an eye there :distant:
 
Won't run next week. MPR not that keen on the stayers as she can be free going but Nicky has half an eye there :distant:
wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==
​

I get why MPR see it that way but I see it a little differently. For me she settled perfectly lto in punchestown when stormy Ireland set such a strong pace (much stronger than she did at Cheltenham).... A scenario that would be very likely to play out with flooring Porter. For me the race would very much be run to suit. Obviously she needs to improve but that’s exactly what she did throughout last season and I like her breeding for the trip ....I can see why Nicky has half an eye