• HELP US - Become a Patron - Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated ... a small donation each month would be a huge contribution. Become a Patron!

2023 Stayers Hurdle

Stable not firing as well, I'm tempted to back Langer next time out in the "win today and fez stayers" market

….that bet was 50-1 yesterday, so you’d hope it would be at least that next time.
 
  • Like
Reactions: opatcho
….that bet was 50-1 yesterday, so you’d hope it would be at least that next time.

You'd image he'd step up to 3 next if they are thinking Stayers? If so, may have a bit more depth than the race over the weekend and one would hope the bookies extended his price.... but we are talking about the bookies, would not surprise me if they put up 50/1 again lol
 
  • Like
Reactions: Eggs
PP have priced up the Lismullen

Flooring Porter 15/8
Zanahiyr 5/2
Bob Olinger 3/1

Interesting to see how Zanahiyr gets on up in trip, hopefully Flooring Porter makes it a test. Could have a new Fav for the race Sunday evening.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Fouroverthrutwo
PP have priced up the Lismullen

Flooring Porter 15/8
Zanahiyr 5/2
Bob Olinger 3/1

Interesting to see how Zanahiyr gets on up in trip, hopefully Flooring Porter makes it a test. Could have a new Fav for the race Sunday evening.

2m 4f and FP potentially giving 7lb (have to check race conditions?) to the other two. Any sort of respectable defeat for him and I'll be going back in if there's a drift.
 
Weights: ........................................... 10st 13lbs Fillies allowed ............................................. 7lbs Penalties (handicaps excluded) - Winner of two hurdle races...................4lb extra Of three hurdle races or a Grade 3 hurdle race...........................................7lb extra Of two Grade 3 hurdle races or a Grade 2 hurdle race .............................9lb extra Of a Grade 1 hurdle race ................... 13lb extra

Zanahiyr looks to be in receipt of 4lb
 
Might I
Fry plundered top-level prizes with staying hurdlers Unowhatimeanharry and If The Cap Fits and added: "Might I was runner-up in a Grade 1 last season and faced mission impossible at Sandown in December trying to concede 6lb to Constitution Hill, but, being a half-brother to the National Hunt Chase winner Stattler, we feel he could be progressive stepping up in trip.

"The handicap at Haydock has been used as a springboard for the likes of Paisley Park and Sam Spinner to go into the Graded staying division so it’ll be interesting to see if he can progress into a horse of that calibre.
 
Listened to part of an SBK podcast last night (for the first and last time) and the lack of respect for Flooring Porter is disgraceful for a dual festival winner thats still only 7. I can understand people not wanting to take 9/2 this far out, but he's labelled a 'wild one' and bears the reputation of being quirky, but I challenge anyone to find a more uncomplicated ride (perhaps barring Allaho) than Flooring Porter. You know exactly what you're getting. A multiple Grade 1 winner who jumps low and fast from the front and just sprints up the hill. On RPR's the only horse to have bettered him are More Of That and Thistlecrack, and he's only 8 years old next year. Something from somewhere needs to emerge that can run to an RPR of 166+ over 3m, jump consistently low and fast over 3m to keep up with Flooring Porter and be able to handle Cheltenham. I feel like the market has figured this one out over the last month. Bob, Blazing Khal and Zan all handle Cheltenham and the first two would have no problem lying up with FP pace, and all jump hurdles well. I would love to see Flooring Porter's coloured lowered on Sunday over a trip too short and for there to be a price push, thats the plan, although the bookies do seem wise to this. I was expecting Queens Brook to hit 20's for the mares hurdle after her defeat on debut and she was pushed from 12 to 14 - so that was shit. If FP IS beat and the bookies go 7/1 or better, I think thats a really good bet and roll up leg.
 
If FP IS beat and the bookies go 7/1 or better, I think thats a really good bet and roll up leg.

I was happy to take the early prices on FP, but similarly, if he is beat on Sunday (hopefully by Bob :devilish:) then I would be happy to go back in on FP, if they lengthened his odds out to 7/1, for sure :encouragement:
 
I was happy to take the early prices on FP, but similarly, if he is beat on Sunday (hopefully by Bob :devilish:) then I would be happy to go back in on FP, if they lengthened his odds out to 7/1, for sure :encouragement:

I'll take that COD. I've come round to Bob and delighted to have him on side.
 
  • Like
Reactions: ComplyOrDie
Clearly a top horse, as any dual winner of a Grade 1 at the festival will be. But I don't think he's that uncomplicated to be honest, and think you're doing a bit of a disservice to Danny Mullins there. Not the best jockey out there by any means but he's done a great job on getting to know FP. As I remember it (and without watching back so may look stupid here) the horse started to wander going into the last hurdle last year and Danny did a great job of keeping him straight.
 
Clearly a top horse, as any dual winner of a Grade 1 at the festival will be. But I don't think he's that uncomplicated to be honest, and think you're doing a bit of a disservice to Danny Mullins there. Not the best jockey out there by any means but he's done a great job on getting to know FP. As I remember it (and without watching back so may look stupid here) the horse started to wander going into the last hurdle last year and Danny did a great job of keeping him straight.

Danny Mullins is one of the best jockeys on a front running horse. Always seems to get his fractions right and saves something for the end.. all luck he got on flooring Porter the first year in Cheltenham as well so was not very familiar with the horse and rode a cracking race
 
Clearly a top horse, as any dual winner of a Grade 1 at the festival will be. But I don't think he's that uncomplicated to be honest, and think you're doing a bit of a disservice to Danny Mullins there. Not the best jockey out there by any means but he's done a great job on getting to know FP. As I remember it (and without watching back so may look stupid here) the horse started to wander going into the last hurdle last year and Danny did a great job of keeping him straight.

Yeah, Ruby did a little piece on that exact moment.
He anticpated the horse jinking left after the last and was ready to yank him back when he did, without losing too much momentum or ground.
If he'd got too excited or was just a fraction late or unprepared then he may well have been harder to get back straight and it could have cost him the race.
Excellent bit of jockeyship, and some would have fucked that up for sure.

A bit like a dog that barks at people, you have to anticipate it and control it, otherwise the adrenalin kicks in and the fucker yaps like a twat.
 
Danny Mullins is one of the best jockeys on a front running horse. Always seems to get his fractions right and saves something for the end.. all luck he got on flooring Porter the first year in Cheltenham as well so was not very familiar with the horse and rode a cracking race

I think he's a brilliant jockey. If Patrick wasn't Willie's son, Danny would get a lot more rides for Willie on his 2nd string, like Chacun at Cheltenham and Punchestown. I think he'd be an ideal jockey for CPS but Patrick gets those horses and isn't half the jockey Danny is. I'd have him over O'Keefe as well.
 
I think he's a brilliant jockey. If Patrick wasn't Willie's son, Danny would get a lot more rides for Willie on his 2nd string, like Chacun at Cheltenham and Punchestown. I think he'd be an ideal jockey for CPS but Patrick gets those horses and isn't half the jockey Danny is. I'd have him over O'Keefe as well.

Amen to that. Not just a brilliant jockey, but a nice bloke too.
 
'A bit like a dog that barks at people, you have to anticipate it and control it, otherwise the adrenalin kicks in and the fucker yaps like a twat.'


Sounds like you Q:welcoming:
 
  • Like
Reactions: Quevega
'A bit like a dog that barks at people, you have to anticipate it and control it, otherwise the adrenalin kicks in and the fucker yaps like a twat.'


Sounds like you Q:welcoming:

:applause::highly_amused::highly_amused:
 
If Bob O can't beat FP over 2m 4f in receipt of 9lb then they might as well give up on the Stayers to be honest.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Fouroverthrutwo
If Bob O can't beat FP over 2m 4f in receipt of 9lb then they might as well give up on the Stayers to be honest.

Agree. Think he may well do though if he's back to his best as the distance will suit him more than Flooring. Don't see him as a 3 miler though. Maybe the bet is him to win Sunday and Flooring to win in March ? Not sure he'd be much of a price though. He could even go off favourite.
 
If Bob O can't beat FP over 2m 4f in receipt of 9lb then they might as well give up on the Stayers to be honest.

I would have to disagree to an extent with this. Yes, absolutely, Bob should be winning this race with the weight receipt but I don't think he should be giving up on the Stayers if he does lose. The extra half mile may bring out further improvement. We already know Bob was very good as a novice hurdler over the intermediate trip, the Lismullen will tell us how he fares in open company for starters.

Even if he wins the Lismullen he still has to prove he'll be as good over 3m.

Certainly an interesting race on paper. Zanahiyr getting some weight off FP too.
 
Yeah, forgot about Zanahiyr. If all 3 take up their entry then it'll be a super race to look forward too. The bookies will certainly give the winner a big hair cut for March.