Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Could Coronavirus cancel the Festival?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The key to all this is knowing where people who have coronovirus have caught it. As long as that's the case it doesn't matter if there are 13 cases here, or 1300 cases here. The issue is when people start catching it and the NHS don't know where they caught it from. I am supremely confident we have nothing to worry about in terms of Cheltenham going ahead, i'd say the bigger danger is one of the 60,000 people who attend Cheltenham being diagnosed with it during the festival.

Comment

Definitely the biggest over reaction! I have heard rumours from a friend who works at racing tv that the festival could potentially be cancelled. They are giving that serious consideration. Biggest load of bollocks even considering it if you ask me!

Comment

Originally posted by charlie View Post
        The key to all this is knowing where people who have coronovirus have caught it. As long as that's the case it doesn't matter if there are 13 cases here, or 1300 cases here. The issue is when people start catching it and the NHS don't know where they caught it from. I am supremely confident we have nothing to worry about in terms of Cheltenham going ahead, i'd say the bigger danger is one of the 60,000 people who attend Cheltenham being diagnosed with it during the festival.
        If anyone attending suspects they have it do us all a favour and go doctors on Saturday 14th

Comment

Maybe Coronavirus is the reason Barry Geraghty has been riding so shit this season?

Comment

In correlation since taking the McManus job, educates the youngsters up until the big festivals and when he wants one to win they just win. He did give two of the best rides of last years festival

Comment

does anyone know....

Hypothetically if the whole thing was cancelled, would ALL antepost bets be voided? Even those on horses who have since passed away/become injured? (get those topofthegame slips out the bin)

Likewise if the festival was moved to a new date, lets say a month later, would all antepost bets carry over or would they also be voided?

FWIW i don't believe it will be cancelled

Comment

Originally posted by aalowe9 View Post
                does anyone know....

Hypothetically if the whole thing was cancelled, would ALL antepost bets be voided? Even those on horses who have since passed away/become injured? (get those topofthegame slips out the bin)

Likewise if the festival was moved to a new date, lets say a month later, would all antepost bets carry over or would they also be voided?

FWIW i don't believe it will be cancelled
                I don't think there's a scenario where it will be cancelled. Cheltenham was cancelled in 2003 because the racecourse fell within a foot and mouth exclusion zone and there was a concern that horses could carry the virus. Here, the threat would be people transferring to other people. If Coronovirus spiraled out of control to the point where it was bad enough for the Festival to be cancelled, then it would probably be fair enough to assume that it would not be delayed to a later date because this is a mess that will take a long time to clear up. In this instance I wouldn't be at all surprised if provisions were made to check all stable staff/trainers/owners at the course, and close the doors to the public. Anyway, I don't think there is much to worry about. Roll on the weights

Comment

With the weather and a genuine chance of a soft/heavy ground think I’d rather it was cancelled and my ante posts voided at this stage

Comment

Someone delete this thread please

It might get cancelled but there's nothing debating or speculating about shit we know nothing about is gonna do to prevent it.

Fuck this thread.

As the self proclaimed voice of reason.
                    And as (self) appointed General in Command by our supreme leader (All Hail Punterorplonker)

I ban any further comments on this thread.

The penalty is death via suffocation.
                    Not due to influenza but by being squatted on by Vanessa Phelps.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperTiger View Post
                      If anyone attending suspects they have it do us all a favour and go doctors on Saturday 14th
                      very good

Comment

Originally posted by Quevega View Post
                        Someone delete this thread please

It might get cancelled but there's nothing debating or speculating about shit we know nothing about is gonna do to prevent it.

Fuck this thread.

As the self proclaimed voice of reason.
                        And as (self) appointed General in Command by our supreme leader (All Hail Punterorplonker)

I ban any further comments on this thread.

The penalty is death via suffocation.
                        Not due to influenza but by being squatted on by Vanessa Phelps.
                        It's going to be discussed on here in the coming days and weeks so there might as well be a place for people to do so

Squatted on by Vanessa Phelps

I'd rather have Coronovirus

Comment

Originally posted by charlie View Post
                          It's going to be discussed on here in the coming days and weeks so there might as well be a place for people to do so

Squatted on by Vanessa Phelps

I'd rather have Coronovirus
                          Michelle McManus.....worse than death

Comment

My mate's got more to worry about than the coronavirus. He rang me a few minutes ago to say his wife and kids were leaving him - literally as we spoke - because of his obsession with horse racing. My pal was in tears as he told me: "They're down at the gate - and they're off".

Comment

Originally posted by nortonscoin200 View Post
                              My mate's got more to worry about than the coronavirus. He rang me a few minutes ago to say his wife and kids were leaving him - literally as we spoke - because of his obsession with horse racing. My pal was in tears as he told me: "They're down at the gate - and they're off".
                              The old ones are the best

Comment

Breaking News: There's now a 30% chance the #CheltenhamFestival is cancelled due to coronavirus, according to odds on the Betfair Exchange.

�� Roughly £25,000 has been bet on the market to date. It is as short as 23/10 for Day 1 to be called off.

Comment

Working...
                                X