Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Could Coronavirus cancel the Festival?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could Coronavirus cancel the Festival?

There seems to be a buzz about that Coronavirus could be a threat to Cheltenham now, especially with it beginning to reach pandemic stage.

With all the people from all over the world gathering in one racecourse, could the potential be there to lose the Festival to this?

Of all the things to lose my 25/1 Chacun Pour Soi ticket, I didn’t quite think it would be a bloody pandemic!

Not to be the voice of doom, but the discussion is there to be had.

If it was serious enough to cancel the festival, it wouldn't be my bets I would be worried about.

Comment

What kind of buzz? I've seen it mentioned once.

Well, twice if you include this thread

Can't see it at all.

Comment

Last year Equine Flu, this year Corona Virus. FFS!! However with Italy postponing sporting fixtures, the UK may have to follow suit if we get more widespread cases. Hopefully our brilliant Health Service is more prepared than the rest of Europe. Just depends if we can catch any potential cases that have been to Northern Italy recently

Comment

It was mentioned on BBC News last night - edit, cancelling public events, not Cheltenham directly

Comment

We’d hear about it through the six nations, football first. If we start to lose them then we’re in all sorts of trouble.

Comment

Occurred to me when I paid the balance of my Air Bnb

Comment

Originally posted by Hardy Eustace View Post
                We’d hear about it through the six nations, football first. If we start to lose them then we’re in all sorts of trouble.
                Yeh exactly. When Twickenham, Old Trafford etc start to cancel matches I'll worry. They key is containment and the authorities seem on top of it.

Comment

I wonder what the odds could be? Paddy Power are always good for a controversial special. Could be a decent insurance bet to help cover any losses on AP bets

Comment

I talked with my misses a few days ago about this and we will keep an open mind and review at the last moment.

Comment

I think all those worried about this new cold/flu virus should not bother coming to the festival.
                      More room for me

Comment

Originally posted by Quevega View Post
                        I think all those worried about this new cold/flu virus should not bother coming to the festival.
                        More room for me
                        Alcohol is useful for disinfecting surfaces

Comment

As far as we are told we have 13 controlled cases. That doesn't make us a hotspot and although it is obviously horrible for those who find themselves in one, worrying unduly does nobody any good.

Comment

How many people die of flu every year?

Comment

Originally posted by FaugheenTheMachine View Post
                              How many people die of flu every year?
                              between 300000 & 650000. on average.

Comment

Working...
                              X