Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

General Chat

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Working in IT for the Police, I've been in work the whole time. Because of that my life hadn't really changed a whole lot - I was still at work, me and the fiance aren't massive drinkers so pubs being closed didn't make much difference and the takeaways were still open. The only difference was having to queue outside of Aldi.

    That was until today when we couldn't attend the funeral of a close family member due to restrictions on numbers. Something like that makes you think about what we need, and will, get back to. We have to get back to some form of normality, the suffering so many (evidenced on here) have endured cannot be in vain.

    Comment


    • Fed up of it all as well now even though I am going 2 days in the office and 2 1/2 from home. That bit is ok, but really missing the social aspects of it, missing going to the racing, watching my local football team and obviously drinking in a pub under normal conditions.

      On the plus side I am off to the Maldives in a month for my sisters wedding but will try get on most days for a catch up or it will take hours or reading when I am back in blighty.

      Keep your chins up gents, it is all we can at the moment until some sort of normality comes back.

      Comment


      • If we truly are getting 16000 positive covid tests a day ,that's just shy of half a million a month. At that rate we would have all had it soon so hopefully by the new year we can start to have our real lives back.

        Comment


        • Feels like a noob question but i'll risk the mockery and ask anyway... Following from the Indigo Breeze talk on a different thread, how come Irish races often have reserves even on the day itself, but UK racing doesn't?

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Jorvik View Post
            Feels like a noob question but i'll risk the mockery and ask anyway... Following from the Indigo Breeze talk on a different thread, how come Irish races often have reserves even on the day itself, but UK racing doesn't?
            the only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

            Aside from "it's not really a thing here", I don't know if there's a bigger reason for it

            Comment


            • Our Guide to Reserves explains how reserves work in horse racing, where they're used, how they affect Rule 4s and more!
              The owls are not what they seem

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Spectre View Post
                Not great at all Archie. I feel for you and your brother.

                My mother is in a carehome. Has chronic emphysema, is five and half stone, caught covid, and incredibly is the only one of the seven who caught it that survived. I've been unable to visit her since lockdown. At her end she's still sharp of mind but bedbound and has been staring at four walls without a single visitor for 6 months. To add to that my Dad died not long before lockdown and she wasn't well enough to go to the funeral. I reckon most of us have it easy compared to her.
                My best wishes to you both. She must be remarkably resilient.

                Comment


                • Spectre, you sound like youíre having a dreadful time, my condolences to you and I hope circumstances improve for you and your family, it must be very upsetting for you all.

                  Iím fortunate that Iíve been working my full shifts throughout (firefighter) but most of my extra work (I play in a covers band & DJ) as all has been cancelled so no bookings which has limited my budget but Iím grateful Iíve got a full time job to fall back on. My family live close by too which helps but my poor wife has not been able to visit her family all year in Ireland and our planned visit next week has now been postponed because of lock down measures in Wales and Ireland. Sheís struggling with home sickness and also works from home in a stressful and demanding job which is causes friction and stress. Itís a shit situation and I canít see anything improving anytime soon, I think the lockdowns will continue.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Outlaw View Post
                    A man well into 5 figures of antepost bets annually, get one bought you tight sod

                    Notts here so bracing for the top tier imminently, first lockdown was weird as it was all new and highlighted the severity for many. I think plenty thought once that was over things would get slightly better over time, now we are going back to lockdowns albeit regionally for now, it really gets you guessing how many times will we have to do this, and what will life be like going forward as seemingly it will never be like 2019< again
                    Where abouts in Notts are you Outlaw? I'm in Mansfield, things aren't so bad here.

                    While we're all sharing, my Dad died of Covid at the start of lockdown, we werent allowed to see him before he died. Then his funeral was limited to just 10 people. He was the only person i had to talk about racing with, part of the reason ive been on the forum alot more this year.

                    To be honest, im quite thankful for lockdown. Things are so different to how they used to be it that made loss easier to accept somehow.

                    Originally posted by Saxon Warrior
                    By accident we have managed to have a half-term break (Leicestershire half-term not the rest of the country) with family, in the only bit of Tier 1 for miles around us.

                    In Edale, in the little strip of orange on the COVID Tier map.

                    https://www.thesun.co.uk/wp-content/...s-oct-21-1.jpg
                    I didnt realise people actually lived in edale, thought it was all holiday lets

                    Comment


                    • My sympathies Diamond Geezer and aalowe, you sound like you’re both having a real tough time too. It’s a timely reminder to me to stop moaning and be a bit more grateful because lots of people like yourselves and many other members are having a truly shit time. I hope 2021 is a more happier time for you all

                      Comment


                      • Thoughts are with everyone who is either struggling themselves or who has a loved one who is.

                        This year has been a kick in the bollocks it really has.

                        I just hope that all of us and our loved ones make it through this.

                        Would be great if we could meet up at the 2022 festival and look back and think how crazy the world was back in 2020 and how much better it is in 2022.

                        Love to you all.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by aalowe9 View Post
                          Where abouts in Notts are you Outlaw? I'm in Mansfield, things aren't so bad here.

                          While we're all sharing, my Dad died of Covid at the start of lockdown, we werent allowed to see him before he died. Then his funeral was limited to just 10 people. He was the only person i had to talk about racing with, part of the reason ive been on the forum alot more this year.

                          To be honest, im quite thankful for lockdown. Things are so different to how they used to be it that made loss easier to accept somehow.:
                          Sorry to hear about your Dad. My gdad passed Jan 2018 and the 2.5 years prior where when I started to really get into racing & take him all over the country, social media & this forum has been great for interacting as I too was in a similar position.

                          I'm actually in Mansfield too(small world) often easy to say Mansfield to the masses, worked right through but from next week rumour has it tier 3 heading this way,Notts & now South Yorkshire are on it so it's natural for us to follow suit despite Kings Mill cases being nothing in comparison to QMC. With the clocks changing at the weekend & going/coming back daily in the dark it won't get any easier for folk with nothing else to do.

                          I'm around the corner from "The Talbot" how about yourself?
                          Last edited by Outlaw; 22 October 2020, 12:16 PM.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Diamond Geezer View Post
                            Thank you!

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Outlaw View Post
                              Sorry to hear about your Dad. My gdad passed Jan 2018 and the 2.5 years prior where when I started to really get into racing & take him all over the country, social media & this forum has been great for interacting as I too was in a similar position.

                              I'm actually in Mansfield too(small world) often easy to say Mansfield to the masses, worked right through but from next week rumour has it tier 3 heading this way,Notts & now South Yorkshire are on it so it's natural for us to follow suit despite Kings Mill cases being nothing in comparison to QMC. With the clocks changing at the weekend & going/coming back daily in the dark it won't get any easier for folk with nothing else to do.

                              I'm around the corner from "The Talbot" how about yourself?
                              I'm actually in woodhouse next to the tap haus. If you've ever been in hills in town ive probably walked past you a 100 times, im the one putting on a million antepost bets on the machine

                              Comment


                              • So many sad stories on here, my very best wishes to each and every one of you.

                                I've been fairly lucky in that the company i work for chose my branch to be the only one to stay open all the way through to supply the NHS with materials, and also care homes, supermarkets, fire stations police etc. I was so thankful. I'm not sure how i would have coped if i had been furloughed or had to work from home, i would have gone stir crazy i think. i know lots of people that are still working from home, and although initially they said it was great (If you recall at the start of lockdown the weather was really good) they are now champing at the bit to go back. I'm sure its the company / crack that i would miss

                                TKP - What genre of covers band do you play in and are you the Freddie Mercury or the Brian May ?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X