Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Cheltz Fest 2021 Behind Closed Doors ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Lobos View Post

No. Charlie was saying the extension until March says they don't think things will be back to some normality by then. That's not correct. They are reviewing in January so they could end furlough then if things are better. The 'extension' is simply to provide Business/Consumer confidence.
    But you seem to be forgetting why furlough is required. Even if it's only till January.

Is Santa going to make the virus go away ?
    Or Jesus ?

They may suspend furlough sooner than March, but things won't be normal will they ?

It's been shown that even in less dense populations that to reduce the virus down to zero, you have to completely lock down for 3 months.
    We'll never do that, so it'll keep popping back up till we accept it, are able to treat it better, or vaccinate quickly and successfully.

Issuing vaccines to millions will take a long time and will need a lot of GP's. Unless they put it in the water

Comment

• Originally posted by Quevega View Post

But you seem to be forgetting why furlough is required. Even if it's only till January.

Is Santa going to make the virus go away ?
      Or Jesus ?

They may suspend furlough sooner than March, but things won't be normal will they ?

It's been shown that even in less dense populations that to reduce the virus down to zero, you have to completely lock down for 3 months.
      We'll never do that, so it'll keep popping back up till we accept it, are able to treat it better, or vaccinate quickly and successfully.

Issuing vaccines to millions will take a long time and will need a lot of GP's. Unless they put it in the water
      Agree, it'll be with us forever now but we'll learn to live with it like every other disease. It will become the norm like flu in time.

Comment

Agree, it'll be with us forever now but we'll learn to live with it like every other disease. It will become the norm like flu in time.
        Even if Covid eventually became the norm like flu, all this goes back to in time for Cheltenham, and I'd say there is zero chance that happens.

Comment

• Originally posted by charlie View Post

Even if Covid eventually became the norm like flu, all this goes back to in time for Cheltenham, and I'd say there is zero chance that happens.

Never say never. I've definitely not given up hope yet that at least Members will be allowed in. A long way to go yet.

Comment

• We had a large section of summer where things were very quiet on the covid front and still they didn't let people into racecourses aside from the odd one off. No chance IMO that Cheltenham has a crowd bar owners and trainers. I want nothing more but I just can't see it based on how things have been managed so far, plus add in the fact that, whether I agree or not (I definitely don't, Cheltenham followed the guidance and people were being incredibly good with hand washing etc... from what I saw, everyone was doing what they thought was right at the time), the festival has to tread more carefully than most on the PR front.
            I follow a God awful football team in Division 6 (N) and I haven't been able to go to any games yet, even friendlies were behind closed doors. A blessing all round as it turns out, but still...

I've already started prepping the ground with local pubs to see what the craic is with booking an area out so the lads I usually go with can still get together and have a laugh in town at least, but if there's normal everday punters in attendance in March i'll be forced to reconsider everything I thought I knew about the tooth fairy and co.

I remember early this year, one of my friends mrs' is at a decent level in PHE and was telling us we should more or less forget the tickets we had for Euro 2020 as it'd almost certainly be behind closed doors. We were bemused to say the least. This was back when the WHO were tweeting sh1te and I was thinking my trip to Northern Italy in late March would be ok as they'd get it under control in Feb and it'd be all over soon enough. Some year eh?!

Comment

• Well then, after writing that word salad, it turns out an awful lot can change in a few days! Still think it's unlikely but there's now a bit of hope that at least some sort of crowd will be there.
              Although I still shudder at Oliver Dowdens 'freedom passport' comment on Marr recently...

Comment

• Sorry for my ignorance Jorvik - why you getting hope? What's been said?

Comment

• Originally posted by OverTheLast View Post
                  Sorry for my ignorance Jorvik - why you getting hope? What's been said?
                  Nothing Cheltenham specific, just todays news, . Supposedly 10m doses on their way to us by the end of the year, with another 30m ordered. The logistics should be good fun, but still, something real to pin a little bit of hope to at least!

The vaccine is a "significant step" forward for getting life back to normal, but challenges remain.

The Old English Sheepdog is back at his lectern talking about it: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-54869918
                  Last edited by Jorvik; 9 November 2020, 04:50 PM.

Comment

• Yep. Fabulous news. A chink of light at the end of that tunnel.

Comment

• alien to be back at the fez, in without thousands of fans cheering on a winner.
                      2021 seems too early but some positive news - potentially 2022 full attendance?!

Comment

• Todays vaccine announcement has to be great news for everyone, including all leisure/sports businesses.

I like to think the government knew this was coming and the enforced lockdown (England) that expires in early December allows time for authorities to make arrangements for mass vaccination to commence before Christmas and allow the economy to be boosted for the Christmas rush.

Nick Rust confirmed last week that they are in discussions with government around a January return for restricted racegoers, this has to be with the vaccine info in mind.

I’m sure there will still be temperature checks, sanitising stations and distancing measures in place but, brave shout time, I’d be very surprised if members and perhaps a few more will be allowed back for the festival.
                        I’m certain football and other sports will have fans back before March...

Comment

• Unfortunately Vaccines' are a prevention measure rather than a cure.

So it will take longer, due to the unprecedented global demand to get into a position where much of normal life can resume.

The 10 million doses the government have bought and hope to have by the end of this year, is "I'm guessing" a little misleading, as I believe you need 2 doses per human.

They have also bought 40 million for next year (and I'm not sure where we are in the pecking order for that particular order (they seem keen to say we are near the top for the first 10 million, which makes me worry for the next batch) so next year could be anytime within a 12 month period obviously)

So, in short. If you are over 75 and already have a serious illness, then get your Al Boum Photo scarves out and your Cheveley Park flags out, as you're off to the races (possibly). Just need to get through the Winter.

Lobos ! - being stubborn and part goat is not classed as being clinically vulnerable. So you'll have to wait your turn.

A cure would have been much better, but a reasonable vaccine is good news indeed.

Hopefully for the forseeable future (next couple of years) all mass sporting events can only be attended by the vaccinated. People aged 50 and above.

So the over 50's can then swan around being grumpy and holding their stomachs in, going to the lavs every half hour due to prostrate issues, without all the young kids getting in their way with their slip on loafers with no socks and tight half mast jeans, queuing for the cubicles on mass, but never having a poo !

Comment

• Originally posted by Quevega View Post
                            Unfortunately Vaccines' are a prevention measure rather than a cure.

So it will take longer, due to the unprecedented global demand to get into a position where much of normal life can resume.

The 10 million doses the government have bought and hope to have by the end of this year, is "I'm guessing" a little misleading, as I believe you need 2 doses per human.

They have also bought 40 million for next year (and I'm not sure where we are in the pecking order for that particular order (they seem keen to say we are near the top for the first 10 million, which makes me worry for the next batch) so next year could be anytime within a 12 month period obviously)

So, in short. If you are over 75 and already have a serious illness, then get your Al Boum Photo scarves out and your Cheveley Park flags out, as you're off to the races (possibly). Just need to get through the Winter.

Lobos ! - being stubborn and part goat is not classed as being clinically vulnerable. So you'll have to wait your turn.

A cure would have been much better, but a reasonable vaccine is good news indeed.

Hopefully for the forseeable future (next couple of years) all mass sporting events can only be attended by the vaccinated. People aged 50 and above.

So the over 50's can then swan around being grumpy and holding their stomachs in, going to the lavs every half hour due to prostrate issues, without all the young kids getting in their way with their slip on loafers with no socks and tight half mast jeans, queuing for the cubicles on mass, but never having a poo !
                            Unless I've misunderstood you....Not actually being given the vaccine doesn't mean you will be excluded from spectator sports. The fact that we now have a vaccine will allow us to return.

Comment

Unless I've misunderstood you....Not actually being given the vaccine doesn't mean you will be excluded from spectator sports. The fact that we now have a vaccine will allow us to return.
                              ??
                              Not sure what you mean.
                              I've no idea how things will pan out.
                              But I'd imagine a person or persons who have been vaccinated will be a lot more free to roam than someone who hasn't.
                              Not sure why I think that, maybe just common sense.

It's like when you go abroad somewhere foreign and have to have a sugar lump & a needle

Comment

• Whilst today is obviously very positive news, I don't trust this government to deliver a vaccine promptly, not one bit. They've been useless from start to finish, and a vaccine rollout in record time is littered with pitfalls (many of which will be out of their control). They can promise what they like, but the reason we are in lockdown right now is because this chronically inept government failed to put in place a successful track and trace system despite having 9 months to get it sorted, and having spent 12 billion pounds!

Happy to go on record and say I'd be nothing short of amazed if a single vaccine is administered in 2020 outside of a clinical trial. The data shows that two doses, three weeks apart, are needed and 90% protection is only achieved seven days after the second dose - which means one month from first vaccine to actually being protected.

Given a vaccine won't land till December/Jan at the absolute earliest, and they are starting with 80 year olds plus/NHS workers then working their way down, I'd say there is next to no chance this will be widely available to the masses till at least the middle of next year, and I'm being thoroughly optimistic at that.

All in my opinion and of course, I hope I'm wrong, I'd love to be wrong, fuck it I'd pay money to be wrong!

Comment

Working...
                                X