Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
https://pay.anna.money/p/fjforumslimited
See more
See less

Cheltz Fest 2021 Behind Closed Doors ?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Cheltz Fest 2021 Behind Closed Doors ?

    A Bookmaker on ITV Racing suggested the Cheltenham Festival in March is likley to be either behind closed doors OR certainly with a hugely reduced crowd.

    Any thoughts on this ?

    Hotels and houses already booked ?
    Still go and watch on TV ?

    Cheers

  • #2
    Originally posted by IstabraqBarRegular View Post
    A Bookmaker on ITV Racing suggested the Cheltenham Festival in March is likley to be either behind closed doors OR certainly with a hugely reduced crowd.

    Any thoughts on this ?

    Hotels and houses already booked ?
    Still go and watch on TV ?

    Cheers
    Hotel for the week already booked and tickets are on order as soon as they come out. I'll be there.

    Comment


    • #3
      Ranks with Ballyadam as, 'who the F knows'.

      Comment


      • #4
        All I can say is, if the Irish horses aren't allowed over then they may as well cancel it altogether.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Lobos View Post
          All I can say is, if the Irish horses aren't allowed over then they may as well cancel it altogether.
          Interesting point there tho lobos.. small chance of it happening but it could mean there’s a bit more value in the English trained runners than first thought

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by DeeBee View Post
            Interesting point there tho lobos.. small chance of it happening but it could mean there’s a bit more value in the English trained runners than first thought
            If the Irish can't travel then all AP bets would clearly be void.

            Comment


            • #7
              Why would there be a ban on Irish horses when there wasn’t when racing resumed in June and both UK and Ireland were in a far worse state than we are today.

              The festival will go ahead with unrestricted travel on horses, authorities are working hard on getting punters back on the racecourse and I’m sure trials will start up in the next few weeks and I’m also convinced the only thing stopping punters from attending the festival would be a local lockdown in the region.
              I doubt very much 70,000 people will be allowed to attend but a reduced capacity of e.g 15,000-20,000 could be accommodated with no greater risk than a trip to your local Sainsburys or pub.

              If I’m wrong, and the festival takes place behind closed doors, there will be far bigger and wider reaching economic issues for everyone and the festival will be insignificant to the masses...

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
                Why would there be a ban on Irish horses when there wasn’t when racing resumed in June and both UK and Ireland were in a far worse state than we are today.

                The festival will go ahead with unrestricted travel on horses, authorities are working hard on getting punters back on the racecourse and I’m sure trials will start up in the next few weeks and I’m also convinced the only thing stopping punters from attending the festival would be a local lockdown in the region.
                I doubt very much 70,000 people will be allowed to attend but a reduced capacity of e.g 15,000-20,000 could be accommodated with no greater risk than a trip to your local Sainsburys or pub.

                If I’m wrong, and the festival takes place behind closed doors, there will be far bigger and wider reaching economic issues for everyone and the festival will be insignificant to the masses...
                Totally agree. If racing goes the way football is likely to go i.e. 30% capacity, then your numbers are about right. 7000 annual members leaving 13000 on public sale. Let's hope the touts don't get them all !

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
                  Why would there be a ban on Irish horses when there wasn’t when racing resumed in June and both UK and Ireland were in a far worse state than we are today.

                  The festival will go ahead with unrestricted travel on horses, authorities are working hard on getting punters back on the racecourse and I’m sure trials will start up in the next few weeks and I’m also convinced the only thing stopping punters from attending the festival would be a local lockdown in the region.
                  I doubt very much 70,000 people will be allowed to attend but a reduced capacity of e.g 15,000-20,000 could be accommodated with no greater risk than a trip to your local Sainsburys or pub.

                  If I’m wrong, and the festival takes place behind closed doors, there will be far bigger and wider reaching economic issues for everyone and the festival will be insignificant to the masses...
                  I’m pretty sure Istabraq is right here. Personally, as it stands right now, I’d be very confident the festival will be going ahead with all Irish horses allowed to travel and participate.

                  However, I wouldn’t be confident anyone bar Cheltenham members would be allowed in, if as it stands as we are right now.

                  Festival to take place with full compliment of UK and Irish runners? I’d be be fairly confident.

                  Festival to take place with anything over 5,000 people, of which only members would be those? Not so sure

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Imagine the roar!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by fitzy78 View Post
                      Imagine the roar!
                      Imagine the number of membership applications if Envoy Allen is right...

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        If they're insured like Wimbledon and the British Open Golf.
                        And there are restrictions in place like mentioned.

                        They'll just fucking cancel it for a year.
                        And take the money for doing nothing.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I don't think I'll be going next year.

                          Better on TV isn't it, I love to know what the social stable is up to and I miss that on course.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
                            Imagine the number of membership applications if Envoy Allen is right...
                            At £475 a time I doubt it.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Lobos View Post
                              At £475 a time I doubt it.
                              Why ?
                              Tickets for the four days in March cost nearly £300...

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X