Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Gold Cup 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lovely aftertiming all round tonight folks .. I'd be happy to take him on, brilliant ride from Bryony today but it was a full on steal off a sedate pace.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pendil View Post
      Lovely after timing but I got so much stick back in October about recomending Frodon @ 33/1 for the Gold Cup that I didn't say anything about Frodon @ 25/1 and pushed out to 33/1 for the King George. Nor about the the 300/1 double to win the Gold Cup
      300-1 fantastic ....well done you !!

i did take 33s too.....but admit more as a fan than a punter
      Fat Jockey Patron (est. Jan 2021)

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
        I find it really easy to dismiss Frodon for the Gold Cup.

When I went through the King George, I essentially thought Frodon would not be able to hold on... over 3m, at Kempton, everything had gone right and he has. Very similar to his Ryanair win.

3m2f, he won't stay strongly enough for me.

I feel like I've seen enough Gold Cup's now to not back thorough stayers...and Frodon isn't that.

Fair play today, fair play to anyone backing him, fair play to anyone on at big prices....but for me he still isn't even a consideration for a Gold Cup. (Apart from if he was like 100/1, then obviously I'd back him)...
        Sizing John, Imperial Commander, even Kauto all had doubts ......as did ABP .....prior to wins

I don’t totally disagree with you.....but my point is Frodon can run very high ratings, the level needed to win a GC, which many shorter in betting prob cant

You are most likely right re stamina......but in truth, we don’t know til bottom of hill as he hasn’t tried it yet.....and horse clearly has heart

My biggest fear is he stops once not leading

We also don’t know ground yet, or how race will be run
        Fat Jockey Patron (est. Jan 2021)

Comment

• Originally posted by TigerRolllllll View Post
          I understand why many writing Frodon off

But if you look at best RPRs run ....

ABP 178
          Frodon 177
          Santini 173
          Percy 172
          MI 170
          Champ 169

Some of above will improve, but not many horses can run 175+

Frodon loves Chelt and is prob best jumper in field

Obvious downside is can only run one way.....but something has to take him on.....and nothing with Min speed in GC

Will he stay? Has shown form suggesting he could well do.....but like many only know when he tries.....but looked pretty full of himself at end today

My last point is more as a fan.....ask yourself if he still leads at bottom of hill in March.....won’t you want to be cheering him on for all you are worth?

Luckily backed him for KG at 28s thanks to a friend talking me into it after chatting how race might be run.....and so have added bit more for GC

Understand many won’t, but are worse bets at prices for me
          Could be why they are looking to aim Melon as a Gold Cup runner, he could fulfill that role of a horse who would take on Frodon, as Min did last year in the Ryanair. Set it up nicely for ABP

Comment

• If the other jockeys allow her to do what she did yesterday in a Gold Cup.
            They should all fucking retire.
            And become shemales and be called Them and They forever.

She and the horse were perfect, and the others were fucking useless. except for St Calvados's jockey.

Comment

• Originally posted by Quevega View Post
              She and the horse were perfect, and the others were fucking useless. except for St Calvados's jockey.
              You always learn more from what the losing connections say as it gives you the perspective for rating the winner. However, the winning horse and jockey were both faultless on the day. I'd also exempt Brian Hughes from criticism as he achieved decent place money in a race that he could never win.

Comment

• Originally posted by archie View Post

You always learn more from what the losing connections say as it gives you the perspective for rating the winner. However, the winning horse and jockey were both faultless on the day. I'd also exempt Brian Hughes from criticism as he achieved decent place money in a race that he could never win.
                Yep.
                I was half and half on him, as they must surely know that being held up off a steady gallop isn't ideal for winning purposes. And even Ruth mentioned had they been a couple of lengths closer they may have got a lot closer. (she's a genius)
                So I still think Brian would be thinking If only...
                Last edited by Quevega; 27 December 2020, 11:04 AM.

Comment

• People are forgetting the top 3 horses in the race also bombed. LIT and Cyrname never looked interested and CDO was struggling from way out and through sheer class managed to actually forge a bit of a late rally. The narrative won't change but that King George was an absolute gift.

Comment

• Originally posted by Altior View Post
                    People are forgetting the top 3 horses in the race also bombed. LIT and Cyrname never looked interested and CDO was struggling from way out and through sheer class managed to actually forge a bit of a late rally. The narrative won't change but that King George was an absolute gift.
                    True.
                    Cyrname and LIT in particular never turned up at all.

I was watching Clan very closely, and he just jumped badly in the last mile or so, when the pace was picking up, and this caused him to also have traffic problems, and get messed about. Had he jumped better, and not got in tight so often (7th last, 6th last and 5th last) then he would have got a lot closer and may not have had to come off the bridle so soon. It's tough at Kempton when they speed up and they are turning for home if you don't jump well, or get clear views at them.

Comment

• LIT was reported to have bled too. Poor horse, been a very hard season for it.

Comment

• When you watch the Kg split screen with the Novices it really does look baffling for those jockeys to sit happy at the pace they were going, especially on that last circuit, the front 4 in the Kauto all finished ahead of Frodons effort. Now i'm not taking that literally it just reads poorly for the Kg rather than exceptional for the Katou and if Shan had a rival like a Frodon they both might of done too much to soon hassling each other etc. As Q has mentioned letting a horse who can jump very well at pace have a free roll for the last 3/4 fences at a track like Kempton isn't the best idea but full credit to Bryony for what she did.

Comment

• Quevega your jockey bashing can be justified in a better way than either than me or thee can muster. https://www.attheraces.com/blogs/sec...ng-under-frost
                          He sums it up pretty well.

Comment

• At the start of the final circuit NdB tried to inject some pace but Santini doesnt have pace, made worse by stupid NdB trying to pass on the outside of Frodon who drifted left at every fence

Comment

• We're going to find out tomorrow if Indo is a genuine contender for this, delta will be a proper yard stick, typically better after a run, and he has excellent course form. I'm personally not sold on Indo, I think a lot has been made of not very much so far, I can't deny, impeccable jumper though. Should be fascinating

Comment

• Tomorrows race is so good, in it's own right, that I'm going to try and not think of it as a Gold Cup trial.

I am not even sure I'll have a bet....I cna't rule out anything

Comment

Working...
                                X