Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Supreme/Ballymore/Albert Bartlett - Novice Hurdles 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Willdunn99 View Post
    It would be much more tempting if I knew I could get off the train when I wanted ! No cash out with WH and sky so it’s risky without seeing thier first run
    *nods in agreement*

I'll try and back him during the race if he looks like he's going to win it well. Always a balancing act and I may not be able to.... but I can't back every novice without cashing out if they flop.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
      *nods in agreement*

I'll try and back him during the race if he looks like he's going to win it well. Always a balancing act and I may not be able to.... but I can't back every novice without cashing out if they flop.
      The owners of Ballymore (Sean Mulryrean) do tend to buy quality over quantity and don’t have that many horses so Gaspard may be their dart at the race they sponsor this festival?? It’s very interesting this horse is with HDB and not Martin Brassil who trained City Island & Longhouse Poet, maybe they expect more this season

Comment

• Originally posted by The King Pimm View Post
        The owners of Ballymore (Sean Mulryrean) do tend to buy quality over quantity and don’t have that many horses so Gaspard may be their dart at the race they sponsor this festival?? It’s very interesting this horse is with HDB and not Martin Brassil who trained City Island & Longhouse Poet, maybe they expect more this season
        Yeah, not disputing any of that TKP, I'm just wary that I [we] could make cases for a few horses every week at least that'd convince me to back them and although as a one-off 'dart' it would be okay, I can't reason as to why this would be justified as a dart over any future darts.

My method is going to remain, back horses that are hyped up and entered up, if I have the option to cash out if they flop.

A series of non-runners in the novice hurdles makes it incredibly hard to turn a profit.

Comment

• I see the horse has now been added with 365 though at 40/1 for the Ballymore, and in line with the method.... I'll have 1 pt e/w on that now

I may still hover over on WH during the race in case he looks superb but that would be risky.

Comment

I see the horse has now been added with 365 though at 40/1 for the Ballymore, and in line with the method.... I'll have 1 pt e/w on that now

I may still hover over on WH during the race in case he looks superb but that would be risky.
            Be a good test to B365, if they persist with the removal from the market strategy when horses like these disappoint.
            Obviously would need to disappoint first.

Comment

• Originally posted by Quevega View Post
              Be a good test to B365, if they persist with the removal from the market strategy when horses like these disappoint.
              Yes, that'll end the approach pretty sharpish.
              I don't think that's a sustainable model for them though.
              Today will be a decent test for it, as the horse will be pretty popular I think ante post before the tapes go up.

Comment

Yeah, not disputing any of that TKP, I'm just wary that I [we] could make cases for a few horses every week at least that'd convince me to back them and although as a one-off 'dart' it would be okay, I can't reason as to why this would be justified as a dart over any future darts.

My method is going to remain, back horses that are hyped up and entered up, if I have the option to cash out if they flop.

A series of non-runners in the novice hurdles makes it incredibly hard to turn a profit.
                I completely agree Kev, a real weakness of mine so far this season is backing juveniles off the back of owner/trainer combinations, cost of horse and comments made in preseason books and then spending the following weeks questioning whether it’s a poor bet when the bet has great odds but no cash out option. Like Jackie Moon said there are only going to be 3 horses winning the 3 novice hurdle races so why back 20 unless you’re maths are ahead of the bookmaker.

Comment

• Not the win Gaspard fans were hoping for but the run wasnt devoid of promise, hopefully he'll strip fitter and jump a little slicker next time out. I wont be backing him for Cheltenham yet but will be looking forward to his next run.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hardy Eustace View Post
                    Not the win Gaspard fans were hoping for but the run wasnt devoid of promise, hopefully he'll strip fitter and jump a little slicker next time out. I wont be backing him for Cheltenham yet but will be looking forward to his next run.
                    He seemed to travel alright, his jumping really let him down towards the end. If they can tidy that up then he will look a decent sort.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
                      Yes, that'll end the approach pretty sharpish.
                      I don't think that's a sustainable model for them though.
                      Today will be a decent test for it, as the horse will be pretty popular I think ante post before the tapes go up.
                      Still in the market for the Ballymore, unchanged.

I've cashed out.

Could back him again on his next entry if I wanted to

-0.1 pts.

Comment

They allowed the Cash out for 95% of your stake back after the event on this occasion

Comment

Still in the market for the Ballymore, unchanged.

I've cashed out.

Could back him again on his next entry if I wanted to

-0.1 pts.
                          They also left the bet open (to place in running) throughout the race.
                          And so did Hills.
                          I had both lined up, just in case.

However, it turned into a slowly run sprint finish type race, and we learnt nothing except it's unlikely there was a superstar running in that maiden. Wouldn't be totally downcast had I backed it though. But glad I didn't.

Comment

• If we believe that trainers are creatures of habit, and that the likes of Ferny & Ballyadam are the stables best novice hurdlers.. when are we likely to see them first time out?

Comment

They also left the bet open (to place in running) throughout the race.
                              And so did Hills.
                              I had both lined up, just in case.

However, it turned into a slowly run sprint finish type race, and we learnt nothing except it's unlikely there was a superstar running in that maiden. Wouldn't be totally downcast had I backed it though. But glad I didn't.
                              To be fair that lastest quite deep into the season bar the hugely high profile races that I can recall.

With football being on, I don't think the bookies have the eye on the ball as much - and that is great for us.

It's a different story after Christmas, certainly the DRF - but make hay and all that.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeeBee View Post
                                If we believe that trainers are creatures of habit, and that the likes of Ferny & Ballyadam are the stables best novice hurdlers.. when are we likely to see them first time out?
                                For Gordon, that Down Royal meeting?

For Willie, Nov/Dec? He does target a couple of specific maidens with his 'supreme horses' - you won't miss them if you're on here

I'm wondering who is going to do their homework and can remember which race Gordon targets with his Martin Pipe horse so I don't have to

Comment

Working...
                                X