Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

2022 Mares Novices Hurdle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jrjr View Post
    Be interesting to see how Glens of Antrim performs this season. Willie always seemed very keen on her last year, remember him name checking her during an interview on the Thursday prior to the MNH, but she failed to deliver (as she did on most runs). Mentioned using her experience in the big mares' novice races in his stable tour a month or so back. Runs tomorrow in a valuable handicap off 128.
    Having watched the two mares bolt up today she'll have needed to summer well...
    I'd hold tickets for horses like this for a while, as they are perfect for the very valuable Dublin festival mares handicap. A really up and coming race to watch for festival horses, Why UK horses don't travel for this race is just mind boggling.

Tellmesomethingirl ran third in it of course (off a mark of 128) funnily enough.
    Heaven help us won off 126.
    Mrs Milner fell in the race off a mark of 129.

Year before was
    Concertista 135 - 3rd
    Black Tears 133 - 1st

I think mares target this race and sometimes aren't ran to their best effect till then.

Comment

• Originally posted by Quevega View Post

I'd hold tickets for horses like this for a while, as they are perfect for the very valuable Dublin festival mares handicap. A really up and coming race to watch for festival horses, Why UK horses don't travel for this race is just mind boggling.

Tellmesomethingirl ran third in it of course (off a mark of 128) funnily enough.
      Heaven help us won off 126.
      Mrs Milner fell in the race off a mark of 129.

Year before was
      Concertista 135 - 3rd
      Black Tears 133 - 1st

I think mares target this race and sometimes aren't ran to their best effect till then.
      Fully endorse this - didn't notice it the year before, but the form of last year is frighteningly good. Potentially an angle I'll be looking at if there's a good nrnb handicap price or mnh price pre-race. The horse in question doesn't even need to be particularly well fancied for the handicap (bt 14/1, concertista 10/1, hhu 16/1)

Comment

• At newbury yesterday and thought Elle est belle was very impressive travelled strongly and jumped well
        not sure how good form was but like many others was very pleased when Alan king horse stood up after sickening fall

Comment

• Impervious pushed out to 20's for this with B365.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atlantic Viking View Post
            Impervious pushed out to 20's for this with B365.
            Ran a respectable race I thought, fumbled the last also. Whether shes anywhere good enough to win this I'm not so sure though.

Comment

• Im assuming statuaire can only run in novices until the end of the year? And thats why she's not quoted anywhere for this?

Comment

• Originally posted by Atlantic Viking View Post
                Impervious pushed out to 20's for this with B365.
                Thought she was running okay till deciding not to jump the last. Is the winner not qualified for this not sure when the season ends or starts?

Comment

• Originally posted by darlojim View Post

Ran a respectable race I thought, fumbled the last also. Whether shes anywhere good enough to win this I'm not so sure though.
                  Agreed. Didn’t do anything to put me off per se. Probably the least impressive of the market leaders this weekend, but didn’t think anyone would be pushing her out.

Comment

• Originally posted by riccirich View Post
                    Im assuming statuaire can only run in novices until the end of the year? And thats why she's not quoted anywhere for this?
                    I guess she was not quoted as no one even thought she had a chance. She is eligible for this race and is now priced up at 7/1.

I still think that she's way down the pecking order of the Mullins mares. And the time of that race proves that it wasn't a strong race

Comment

• Originally posted by Winging The Last View Post

I guess she was not quoted as no one even thought she had a chance. She is eligible for this race and is now priced up at 7/1.

I still think that she's way down the pecking order of the Mullins mares. And the time of that race proves that it wasn't a strong race
                      Yes, this is pretty much the view I took too. It may prove to be a poor Royal Bond, but there will be horses that will come out of the race and improve for a significantly for a stronger pace, and I can easily see two or three horses beaten today being players in March.
                      Luck is a dividend of sweat. The more I sweat, the luckier I get.

Comment

• Originally posted by Winging The Last View Post

WTL I'm not sure you can use the time of the race as evidence that it was not a strong renewal.

Fil Dor won the juvenile in 3mins 56.6secs carrying 10st 11lbs.

Statuaire won the the Royal Bond in an almost identical time (3m56.5s) carrying 8lbs more than Fil Dor with My Mate Mozzie carrying 15lbs more.

If Fil Dor is a worthy favourite for the Triumph (and on racecourse evidence so far he surely is) then Statuaire and MMM were non too shabby.

My take on the Royal Bond was that it was a muddling race that's very tricky to weigh up.

I think you can still make a case for MMM being very decent and he probably would have won with a better jump at the last. Mighty Potter finished best of all after being messed around and Impervious completed missed out the last when still holding a chance - although I don't think she would have won.

Another thing to bear in mind is that the MNH at Cheltenham will be a very different race - not least the long uphill finish after the last rather than a sprint to the line.

Have we seen a Festival winner in the race today - probably not. But it's difficult to write off any of them off after such a confusing race.

I had a look back over the last 4 years to compare the times of today's juvenile race with the Royal Bond which is always run next to it.

And the time comparison doesn't really shed much light on the relative merits of the two races imo. Interesting that the winning times of the two races in 2018 was almost identical to those posted today - the going was good like today and 2018 threw up a Triumph runner up and a 6th place in the Supreme.

Last year Zanahiyr (10st 11lbs) won the juvenile in 4mins 2secs. Ballyadam (11st 12lbs) won the Royal Bond 30 minutes later in a time 10 seconds slower before finishing runner-up in the Supreme.

In 2019 Cerberus was more than 4 seconds slower winning the juvenile than Envoi Allen who won the Royal Bond in 4mins 1secs.

In 2018 Chief Justice (12th in the Boodles) won the juvenile by a short head from Coeur Sublime (2nd in the Triumph) in a time almost identical to Quick Grabin's Royal Bond win. Aramon was 7 lengths back in third and came 6th in the Supreme. Quick Grabin didn't go to Cheltenham.

In 2017 Espoir D'Allen won the juvenile in a time 18 seconds slower than Mengli Khan (3rd in the Supreme) half an hour later.

Comment

• Originally posted by nortonscoin200 View Post

WTL I'm not sure you can use the time of the race as evidence that it was not a strong renewal.

Fil Dor won the juvenile in 3mins 56.6secs carrying 10st 11lbs.

Statuaire won the the Royal Bond in an almost identical time (3m56.5s) carrying 8lbs more than Fil Dor with My Mate Mozzie carrying 15lbs more.

If Fil Dor is a worthy favourite for the Triumph (and on racecourse evidence so far he surely is) then Statuaire and MMM were non too shabby.

My take on the Royal Bond was that it was a muddling race that's very tricky to weigh up.

I think you can still make a case for MMM being very decent and he probably would have won with a better jump at the last. Mighty Potter finished best of all after being messed around and Impervious completed missed out the last when still holding a chance - although I don't think she would have won.

Another thing to bear in mind is that the MNH at Cheltenham will be a very different race - not least the long uphill finish after the last rather than a sprint to the line.

Have we seen a Festival winner in the race today - probably not. But it's difficult to write off any of them off after such a confusing race.

I had a look back over the last 4 years to compare the times of today's juvenile race with the Royal Bond which is always run next to it.

And the time comparison doesn't really shed much light on the relative merits of the two races imo. Interesting that the winning times of the two races in 2018 was almost identical to those posted today - the going was good like today and 2018 threw up a Triumph runner up and a 6th place in the Supreme.

Last year Zanahiyr (10st 11lbs) won the juvenile in 4mins 2secs. Ballyadam (11st 12lbs) won the Royal Bond 30 minutes later in a time 10 seconds slower before finishing runner-up in the Supreme.

In 2019 Cerberus was more than 4 seconds slower winning the juvenile than Envoi Allen who won the Royal Bond in 4mins 1secs.

In 2018 Chief Justice (12th in the Boodles) won the juvenile by a short head from Coeur Sublime (2nd in the Triumph) in a time almost identical to Quick Grabin's Royal Bond win. Aramon was 7 lengths back in third and came 6th in the Supreme. Quick Grabin didn't go to Cheltenham.

In 2017 Espoir D'Allen won the juvenile in a time 18 seconds slower than Mengli Khan (3rd in the Supreme) half an hour later.

Well said, too many look at figures/times with no context. It's very easy to crab anything that appears slow . Basic rule of thumb, a fast horse can run a slow time but a slow horse will never run a fast time(coined from someone I respect)

Comment

• Anyone heard any news regarding Gypsy Island? Still yet to be seen and no christmas entries is making me think another injury announcement is on the horizon

Comment

• Originally posted by BarrowNH01 View Post
                              Anyone heard any news regarding Gypsy Island? Still yet to be seen and no christmas entries is making me think another injury announcement is on the horizon
                              Wouldn’t be surprised to see her go straight to the festival if she’s fit & well, she’s obviously very fragile.

Comment

• Nurse Susan - Skelton’s horse who impressed a few at Carlisle declared at Leicester on Wednesday in the class 3 novice hurdle

Comment

Working...
                                X