Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Arkle 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by spotthediff View Post
    Hi all, this is my first post....so be nice

I couldn't help but get involved because I'm a huge fan of Brewin'upastorm and have him and Melon on my shortlist for the Arkle. Why is it a few of you don't think he will go close in this race??
    Welcome, spotthediff

Not been following racing enough this season to know much, but from the little I've seen, I think the Irish horses are just better.

Comment

• Originally posted by jack1092 View Post
      Why are you so confident he would be pipped again by Fakir off levels at chelt?
      Just think With Fakir being the younger horse, improvement and speed of the Arkle will play more into its hands than Melon’s. Melon has improved for a fence, however so has Fakir, so I can’t see form being reversed, regardless of the level playing field.

I’ve been wrong plenty of times though, and you may be right, just my view and my reasoning for not parting with cash. All the fun of Horse Racing and this forum I suppose.

Comment

• I like Notebook as well Tim. Struggling to see past Those 2 at the minute

Comment

• Looking at this year, I'm glad that work has kept me away from the punting arena, as it looks like the toughest year that I can remember.

Might just be because I'm even further out of the loop than I feel when I watch nearly every race, every day

Comment

• Joe Chambers puts up Bapaume as his antepost chelt pick (asked to put up one antepost pick)

Comment

Why are you so confident he would be pipped again by Fakir off levels at chelt?
              Its 5lbs this weekend and still, I think, 1lb in March

Comment

• Originally posted by Crolwey113 View Post
                Joe Chambers puts up Bapaume as his antepost chelt pick (asked to put up one antepost pick)
                Yeah, when he was talking about him in the first 10 minutes he sounded pretty positive.

Comment

• Originally posted by Anay Turge View Post
                  Just think With Fakir being the younger horse, improvement and speed of the Arkle will play more into its hands than Melon’s. Melon has improved for a fence, however so has Fakir, so I can’t see form being reversed, regardless of the level playing field.

I’ve been wrong plenty of times though, and you may be right, just my view and my reasoning for not parting with cash. All the fun of Horse Racing and this forum I suppose.
                  Fair enough. The difference with Fakir for me is he really did need to improve for a fence, he wasn't any special juvenile. Actually looked like he'd benefit from further i always thought. Jumping has helped him though as he's very good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pendil View Post
                    Its 5lbs this weekend and still, I think, 1lb in March
                    I know it's 5 this weekend. Didn't know it was 1 for chelt though, and even if it is, it's a heck of a flip flop in the weights.

Edit, it's not 1pound anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by spotthediff View Post
                      Hi all, this is my first post....so be nice

I couldn't help but get involved because I'm a huge fan of Brewin'upastorm and have him and Melon on my shortlist for the Arkle. Why is it a few of you don't think he will go close in this race??
                      Eyup,
                      Melon will always be of interest at Cheltenham, but connections don't appear to have twigged and may mess up his trip if he flops on Saturday. However, he will probably run well in either the Arkle or the JLT.

I like Brewin as the best of the British and was keen on the arkle for him from the beginning really, as he didn't seem to stay the trip as well as others when tried over further. The Irish do look better though, and generally have been tested more than the novices over here.

The trainer seems to lose his bottle with his better horses once we pass christmas and I think this is a mistake, he appears to faff around and want the easy race all the time. The best novice chasers from the UK last year were the ones that were tested the most in Defi di seuil and Lostintranslation.

The trainer may well have lost his best chance to win at the festival by having no balls. Effectively undercooking his horses.

Comment

Fair enough. The difference with Fakir for me is he really did need to improve for a fence, he wasn't any special juvenile. Actually looked like he'd benefit from further i always thought. Jumping has helped him though as he's very good.
                        I can see your logic. I think Melon should have switched much earlier, perhaps those 2s against Melons name at Cheltenham would be 1s. That can all change of course

Starting to get really excited now, wasn't initially convinced with the DRF, but there are some juicy match ups this weekend that I feel will only add to the Cheltenham buzz. I’ve got into some good positions with the novice hurdles this year, so looking forward to seeing if they’ll strengthen or weaker this weekend

Comment

• Originally posted by quevega View Post
                          Eyup,
                          Melon will always be of interest at Cheltenham, but connections don't appear to have twigged and may mess up his trip if he flops on Saturday. However, he will probably run well in either the Arkle or the JLT.

I like Brewin as the best of the British and was keen on the arkle for him from the beginning really, as he didn't seem to stay the trip as well as others when tried over further. The Irish do look better though, and generally have been tested more than the novices over here.

The trainer seems to lose his bottle with his better horses once we pass christmas and I think this is a mistake, he appears to faff around and want the easy race all the time. The best novice chasers from the UK last year were the ones that were tested the most in Defi di seuil and Lostintranslation.

The trainer may well have lost his best chance to win at the festival by having no balls. Effectively undercooking his horses.
                          Very fair post, Q.

I like Brewin’ for this, as you, but completely agree with your points on Murphy. My other main bet in this is Melon, so obviously would love to see him line up here.

As a CH 2nd and highest rated hurdler, he surely must run in the Arkle! I would not be surprised at all we’re he to beat Fakir given the reduction in weight he’s giving up, nor would I be surprised if he beat Notebook on the run in, assuming he can keep pace with his jumping. Slightly worried about all this noise about Bapaume, even though I have him covered.

Comment

I know it's 5 this weekend. Didn't know it was 1 for chelt though, and even if it is, it's a heck of a flip flop in the weights.

it's levels in march.

Comment

I stand corrected, looked back at Saint Calvados 2years ago. I had in mind that A Plus Tard carried 1lb less than the older horses compared to their handicap marks in last years Close Bros.

Comment

• Where is that related Bapaume double chaps? Arkle and Irish Arkle, which bookie?

Comment

Working...
                                X