Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Cheltenham 2019 Ante-Post bets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by archie View Post
    It wouldn't surprise me to see Altior step up in trip this season. Took quite a while to get going at both Cheltenham and Sandown and you don't get any quicker as you get older.
    Originally posted by somer1 View Post
    Was thinking the same way.Altior will be a 9yo next year so will he have the fight over 2m against Footpad?
    And Footpads winning time at Cheltenham was almost 5secs quicker than Alitors winning time.
    I can't see any way at all that they go over further with Altior until after the Champion Chase. He sets the standard in the division and I hope Suede and Munir have a crack at him... and best of luck to them, but I'll be in the Altior camp firmly until I see any reason to suggest he's not the best two-miler in training.

In an ideal world I'd like him to run incredibly well in the CC and then step up at Aintree and see if he's a future Gold Cup horse... nothing... if he isn't then no point aiming towards a Ryanair.

Comment

• Originally posted by Middle_Of_March View Post

If he goes Ryanair, he’s likely to be involved in one of the best Ryanair’s of the modern era. Even with 8 months to go, it looks like being an absolute corker of a race. I’d have him at about 7/1 at this stage for that if I was a bookie.
      I agree with most of that - but not the bit about the Ryanair?

If I knew Footpad would in the Ryanair I'd have a max bet at 7/1 (or the 8/1 you can get), even at this stage - I think he's be the standout quality horse in the race.

Balko Des Flos was a decent winner visiually but might go for Gold. Douvan, Min and Un De Sceaux are next in, Douvan potentially could run but Footpad would be shorter than the other two...

Fox Norton isn't worth worrying about, Monalee could well end up being "the one to beat" and I know you (and I) like him for this race, but he's hardly unbeatable.... then Waiting Paitently who almost certainly won't run.

Then its just horses who aren't good enough to lay a glove on Footpad?

jono will be pleased that someone else is in the Ryanair fan club though

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
        I agree with most of that - but not the bit about the Ryanair?

If I knew Footpad would in the Ryanair I'd have a max bet at 7/1 (or the 8/1 you can get), even at this stage - I think he's be the standout quality horse in the race.

Balko Des Flos was a decent winner visiually but might go for Gold. Douvan, Min and Un De Sceaux are next in, Douvan potentially could run but Footpad would be shorter than the other two...

Fox Norton isn't worth worrying about, Monalee could well end up being "the one to beat" and I know you (and I) like him for this race, but he's hardly unbeatable.... then Waiting Paitently who almost certainly won't run.

Then its just horses who aren't good enough to lay a glove on Footpad?

jono will be pleased that someone else is in the Ryanair fan club though
        But the point is you don’t know what race he would go. He’s four options atm.

Comment

• Originally posted by archie View Post
          It wouldn't surprise me to see Altior step up in trip this season. Took quite a while to get going at both Cheltenham and Sandown and you don't get any quicker as you get older.
          They’d be fools to step up the chanpion Chaser in trip to win the poxy Ryanair.

I like the Ryanair but it’s nowhere near the Champion Chase in prestige.

Comment

• Bar one race at Aintree they never did it with Sprinter Sacre so I can’t see why they need to look beyond 2m.
            I think you only really look to step up a 2 miler if you think the horse might be a 3 miler and challenge for King Georges, Gold Cups etc...

Comment

• Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
              What race are you expecting Footpad to target NR ?
              I think initially he'll be geared towards the CC, but theres just something that makes me think he could well end up in the Ryanair or even pushing for the GC. I think he can certainly stay the distances and WM isn't too adverse to changing distances ran so preferred the any race cover at this time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Native River View Post
                I think initially he'll be geared towards the CC, but theres just something that makes me think he could well end up in the Ryanair or even pushing for the GC. I think he can certainly stay the distances and WM isn't too adverse to changing distances ran so preferred the any race cover at this time.
                Yep, sensible points though I think they'll look to avoid a clash with Altior but they might surprise me.

Samcro/Laurina to win any race can be backed at 8/1 so that makes Footpad a shade over 2/1 in your treble, so I wonder if you saw the 9/4 Footpad to win any race market ?
                Having the 8/1 double and 9/4 single pays a fraction more but is obviously a reduced risk option...

Comment

• Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
                  Yep, sensible points though I think they'll look to avoid a clash with Altior but they might surprise me.

Samcro/Laurina to win any race can be backed at 8/1 so that makes Footpad a shade over 2/1 in your treble, so I wonder if you saw the 9/4 Footpad to win any race market ?
                  Having the 8/1 double and 9/4 single pays a fraction more but is obviously a reduced risk option...
                  To be honest I didn't look for Footpad in the any race market so wasn't aware of the odds in that, I think this far out with the free bet I probably just didn't think as deeply into it as I would come October etc, but main reason was more the 28/1 option with the minimal stake returns are higher and I thought sod it why not get a bit riskier with the free bet

Yes I must admit I think Altior would be a huge concern if he was to go the CC! Don't have anything on him yet but I'm quite keen to get him in a multiple with others as a solid anchor option.

Comment

• Altior's season consisted of:
                    - an operation for a condition that may well recur.
                    - an adequate return at Newbury.
                    - a foot problem.
                    - a decent CC performance that became devalued by Min's subsequent performances.
                    - a defeat of 155 rated San Benedeto (who later finished 11l third in a handicap off 158) after having a 'flat spot' in running.

If he comes back and has a clear run then he may get back to his best but a repeat of last season will not be enough to beat Footpad assuming that he also has a clear run to March.
                    7/4 Altior and 4/1 Footpad is just wrong at this stage. I wouldn't be doing 4/1 Footpad so 7/4 Altior, 8 months ahead of time, is nowhere near being of interest.
                    Last edited by archie; 12 July 2018, 03:31 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Native River View Post
                      I think this far out with the free bet I probably just didn't think as deeply into it as I would come October
                      I think we're all guilty of this, I never feel a free bet is my money going down so give them far less consideration, and of course ante post 8 months out you can only apply what you know and have seen already, there may well be a few surprise options that show their hand.

Archie makes some valid points and like most I wouldn't be hitting Altior as a single with my hard earned, but it has the look of a weak division to me with little depth, maybe one or two of the Ryanair pretenders might prove to be top table over the minimum distance to show themselves as challengers.
                      Footpad's Arkle win was made all the easier by a suicidal duel up front but nonetheless he proved himself beyond doubt the leading 2m novice chaser in training but having been heavily tried over 2.5m and thought to have sufficient stamina for a stab at the Punchestown stayers hurdle last year he's far from certain to stay over 2m.
                      I don't see Saint Calvados, Petot Mouchoir or Brain Power being a credible threat to Altior's crown...

Comment

• Originally posted by Middle_Of_March View Post
                        But the point is you don’t know what race he would go. He’s four options atm.
                        What I meant was you saying you thought it'd be a vintage Ryanair... I think Footpad would be a clear fav, meaning it wouldn't be a "top class" renrewal?

and to be fair there is no chance at all he reverts to hurdles in any way shape or form... but 3 options for sure.

Comment

• With the time Foodpad ran in the arkle he goes CC in my book but im not Mullins.As of backing him ive got a bit on as i think hes pure class.

Comment

• For what it's worth , I get the impression that Footpad's Owners , wouldn't shy away from a race with Altior . I also think that
                            he's a Class horse. one for the List.

Comment

• First ante post single since April (Call Me Lord!) placed tonight.... 3 pts on Kalashnikov at 28/1 for the JLT.

Flagged by Faugheen_Machine in the July yankee thread....

Reflecting on the 2020 Cheltenham Festival and building up towards 2021. Threads on all major races including Gold Cup, Queen Mother and Champion Hurdle. Share early Cheltenham Festival Tips and check out our preview night reports.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
                                First ante post single since April (Call Me Lord!) placed tonight.... 3 pts on Kalashnikov at 28/1 for the JLT.

Flagged by Faugheen_Machine in the July yankee thread....

http://www.fatjockey.com/forum/showt...l-Yankee/page4
                                I'm amazed you've gone 3 months without a Cheltenham single Kev.

Comment

Working...
                                X