The Hyde Novice’s Hurdle is a Grade 2 race run on the Sunday of the the Cheltenham Open Meeting in November over distance of 2 miles 5 furlongs.
It is seen as an important trial for the Neptune Investment Novices Hurdle at the Cheltenham Festival in March and currently shares the same sponsor. Massinis Maguire in 2006 was the last horse to complete the double. The 2011 winner Fingal Bay was the long time antepost favourite for the 2012 Neptune but missed the race through injury.
The 2005 winner Black Jack Ketchum won this race on route to winning what is now the Albert Bartlett Novices Hurdle at the Festival.
Hyde Novice Hurdle Stats 2002-2011
- The favourite has finished 1st or 2nd in 7 of the last 10 renewals ( see Fate of Favourite in FOF column tabled below)
- The highest price winner was Tell Massini at 15-2
- Philip Hobbs has trained 2 of the last 6 winners
- Neither Nicholls or Henderson have trained the winner during the last decade
- The last 6 renewals have been won by 5 year olds
- Tony McCoy has ridden 3 of the last 10 winners but none since 2005
Hyde Novice Hurdle Winners 2002-2011
|2011||Fingal Bay||5||Richard Johnson||Philip Hobbs||11-7||4-5||1|
|2010||Champion Court||5||Warren Marston||Martin Keighley||11-0||5-1||5,7|
|2009||Tell Massini||5||Sam Thomas||Tom George||11-0||15-2||2|
|2008||Diamond Harry||5||Timmy Murphy||Nick Williams||11-4||13-8||1|
|2007||Razor Royale||5||Paddy Brennan||Nigel Twiston-Davies||11-0||7-1||4|
|2006||Massini’s Maguire||5||Richard Johnson||Philip Hobbs||11-5||6-1||2|
|2005||Black Jack Ketchum||6||Tony McCoy||Jonjo O’Neill||11-5||13-2||4|
|2004||Brewster||7||David Dennis||Ian Williams||11-0||7-2||1,2,PU|
|2003||Jollyolly||4||Tony McCoy||Peter Bowen||11-8||5-4||1|
|2002||Taming||6||Tony McCoy||Venetia Williams||11-8||100-30||2|