• HELP US - Become a Patron - Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated ... a small donation each month would be a huge contribution. Become a Patron!

Pertemps Network Final 2019

VF , Walk to Freedom has an entry on 24th jan at Gowran pk - 3m 1f Thystes h/cap chs .
Any thought's on this ..??
 
VF , Walk to Freedom has an entry on 24th jan at Gowran pk - 3m 1f Thystes h/cap chs .
Any thought's on this ..??

Saw that other day.
Only rated 135 over fences and some reasonable form couple years back.
Just trying their luck I reckon.
Horse looks really well this year.
And shouldn't hurt his hurdle rating if he runs and reasonably well .
If he wins is another matter with regards the pertemps.
Does look like a big chaser
 
VF,
I agree that the aim is this race, but does the horse fit the profile for this race now?? Should we not be looking for an up an coming novice with potential to be a high-end graded performer?
Interested in your views.

Doc - the short answer is no she doesn’t fit the profile of the most recent winners. And that is what is what is stopping me from having a bet. She does however tick lots of other boxes that I like... festival form, proven at the distance, right sort of age and rating. She even fits the Gaultstats highlighted trend of between 6-15 hurdle starts. I think it’s short sighted to assume there will be a Presenting Percy or a Delta Work in this every year so must keep an open mind to those who don’t obviously fit that mould. And she looks one of the likelier ones at the moment.
 
VF , Walk to Freedom has an entry on 24th jan at Gowran pk - 3m 1f Thystes h/cap chs .
Any thought's on this ..??

Yep saw that and agree with what Quevega says, why not have a stab at a good race off a favourable mark. Gets a run into the horse without compromising his hurdles rating. It doesn’t worry me and I still expect this race to be plan A.
 
Just looking at the age of the horses.
2018 - 1st - 6 y/o. 2nd - 8 y/o. 3rd - 7 y/o. 4th - 9 y/o.
2017 - 8 9 8 13.
2016 - 9 9 11 10.
2015 - 10 10 13 11.
2014 - 13 11 11 13.
2013 - 12 7 8 12.
 
Superb again VF. Thank you.

I have been following Aspen Colorado for this and have taken 25-1 so far. I am hoping he can sneak in the bottom of the weights as VF adhered to.
 
Superb again VF. Thank you.

I have been following Aspen Colorado for this and have taken 25-1 so far. I am hoping he can sneak in the bottom of the weights as VF adhered to.

Do you think he'll have another run Jon ? , or they hope he'll sneak in at 135 ??.
 
Do you think he'll have another run Jon ? , or they hope he'll sneak in at 135 ??.

Looks like 135 is the bare minimum to get in so its a risk not running him again. Bit of a tricky one. Do you stick or twist? No entries at present but I will be checking over the next week or two.
 
Early Doors an interesting entry in the Huntingdon qualifier on Friday. He was 3rd in last year's MP (ahead of Sire Du Berlais) and has run well in 2 Grade 1s this season finishing ahead of some much higher rated rivals on both occasions. Been given 145 by the British handicapper which looks pretty good to me... he's beaten 8 rivals home in 2 runs this season and every single one of them was rated more than 145. 16s nrnb or best price 20s. One I'll be keeping on eye on.

Not Many Left, mentioned by doc earlier, is also entered and is another to watch.

And for anyone who hasn't already fallen off that cliff Squouateur is entered and has been sent to Ben Haslam!
 
Couldnt agree more about Early Doors VF... this horse is top of my list for the race. Was slightly disappointed with the price though.
 
Early Doors an interesting entry in the Huntingdon qualifier on Friday. He was 3rd in last year's MP (ahead of Sire Du Berlais) and has run well in 2 Grade 1s this season finishing ahead of some much higher rated rivals on both occasions. Been given 145 by the British handicapper which looks pretty good to me... he's beaten 8 rivals home in 2 runs this season and every single one of them was rated more than 145. 16s nrnb or best price 20s. One I'll be keeping on eye on.

Not Many Left, mentioned by doc earlier, is also entered and is another to watch.

And for anyone who hasn't already fallen off that cliff Squouateur is entered and has been sent to Ben Haslam!

Good spot with ED
 
Early Doors an interesting entry in the Huntingdon qualifier on Friday. He was 3rd in last year's MP (ahead of Sire Du Berlais) and has run well in 2 Grade 1s this season finishing ahead of some much higher rated rivals on both occasions. Been given 145 by the British handicapper which looks pretty good to me... he's beaten 8 rivals home in 2 runs this season and every single one of them was rated more than 145. 16s nrnb or best price 20s. One I'll be keeping on eye on.

Not Many Left, mentioned by doc earlier, is also entered and is another to watch.

And for anyone who hasn't already fallen off that cliff Squouateur is entered and has been sent to Ben Haslam!


Your excellent research showed the Huntingdon qualifier to be a poor guide to the final.
There was a trend doc put up in here 3/4 years ago showing horses to have had their prep runs at the likes of Huntingdon and Ludlow which are the polar opposite of Cheltenham are 0-160 or thereabouts.
Obviously there’s time to get another run into horses after this week but, for me, it takes a very versatile horse to excel on both flat right handed and undulating left handed tracks...
 
Your excellent research showed the Huntingdon qualifier to be a poor guide to the final.
There was a trend doc put up in here 3/4 years ago showing horses to have had their prep runs at the likes of Huntingdon and Ludlow which are the polar opposite of Cheltenham are 0-160 or thereabouts.
Obviously there’s time to get another run into horses after this week but, for me, it takes a very versatile horse to excel on both flat right handed and undulating left handed tracks...

He wont be running to excel. Id have thought. Ideally he'll be dropped in and stay on for no better than 5th. Then hills push him out again to 33s would be the dream.
 
Agree CCM, I'd have hoped for bigger and it's not enough to tempt me in right now, particularly as you'd actually be hoping/expecting he doesn't win on Friday.

Those numbers do look fairly damning Ista, but would it still worry you for a horse with proven Cheltenham form? The sample will have included an awful lot of horses who had got into this race by being flat track bullies at the Huntingdons/Ludlows of this world. But if ED qualifies via Huntingdon it will purely be because the timing of the race has fitted and he just needs to get a qualifying run somewhere soon. I suppose what I'm saying is there can't be many horses who fit ED's profile that have had their prep runs at this type of course.

I've no doubt your stat goes back further than the 5 years I have researched but it's worth pointing out that the Huntingdon fixture was abandoned in 2 of the last 5 years. And the winner of the race last year (Taj Badalandabad) was 4th in the Final... so still hitting a place at a huge price.
 
He wont be running to excel. Id have thought. Ideally he'll be dropped in and stay on for no better than 5th. Then hills push him out again to 33s would be the dream.

I haven't seen the entries but qualification requires a top 6 finish, unlikely I assume but if there are 25 who see this as their only way to get in they won't hit the 6 without coming off the bridle.
If I get time I'll look at the Huntingdon qualifiers from recent years and see how they performed
 
Does the Friday race state its a qualifier??

Got it now. Cheers.

Not Many Left has an entry which is more appealing to me.
 
Last edited:
Robbie Power jocked up for Not Many Left for Jessica at Huntingdon. Lets see if the horse gets declared??
 
Morning all, first post but stumbled across forum this morning and glad I did!

Anyway, Jessie in her Unibet blog this morning

"I also run Not Many Left in the Pertemps Qualifier and I’ve been delighted with him. He won his maiden last year and competed well in graded company as a novice. He ran well at Limerick at Christmas time when he just got a little muscle tired for his first run of season. He has come on a nice bit for that run, though he may want the ground a bit softer."