Witches Familiar is out in about an hour at Gowran if anyone was looking to get her onside for the Mares Novices' Hurdle. Stand out 14/1 at Hills. She is currently 8/15 on to get the job done today. Looks a nice one even this early out.
I've taken a bit of the daft El Cairos money for the Champion Hurdle whilst I was at it. Bit of a bet to nothing.
I’ve had an interest in witches. Also in a ricci double with chic me.Witches Familiar is out in about an hour at Gowran if anyone was looking to get her onside for the Mares Novices' Hurdle. Stand out 14/1 at Hills. She is currently 8/15 on to get the job done today. Looks a nice one even this early out.
I've taken a bit of the daft El Cairos money for the Champion Hurdle whilst I was at it. Bit of a bet to nothing.
Prefer the each way money on WF. There is some strong competition in that division. She likes decent ground so she could well come out today and get the job done and not be seen again until the spring…Witches 20-1 WTAF (MNH) with Hills. PP offer 150-1 El Cairos WTAF.
Very impressive. That wasn't a bad little race and she booted them into touch as though she was a 1/6 on shot. Happy with that. She's good.
Bookies have acted accordingly. Now joint fav
Massive standard bookie overreaction for me, as impressive as she was she beat a bunch of exposed horses.Very impressive. That wasn't a bad little race and she booted them into touch as though she was a 1/6 on shot. Happy with that. She's good.
Bookies have acted accordingly. Now joint fav
Willie has now won this grade 3 novice hurdle 11 times out of the last 12 years. Generally his winners have tended to be "good" horses rather than "superstars". He did however win it with Penhill back in 2016 who went on to win the Albert Bartlett that season. Witches Familar beat a 125 rated horse by 10 lengths (easily) with a 120 rated horse a further half length behind. To put this in context some of his other winners had beaten horses rated around the 140s. For context here are Willie's previous winners together with the RPR they received in the race and their performance at the Festival if running:Massive standard bookie overreaction for me, as impressive as she was she beat a bunch of exposed horses.
Also strange for Mullins to be sending a good one out so early....
She will comfortably beat the average rating of Previous MNH runners based on their seasonal debuts but you have to think that Willie has several at home better than her.True, I would like to see what mark she got for that though. Switch From Diesel is rated 125 and she gave her about a 20lbs hammering
If rating through Switch From Diesel (gave 1lb) you could probably get to a rating of 140. However, SFD only just beat Minella Hollow in 3rd who was giving her 3lb and is rated 5lb lower and only beat 110 rated Goeasyonme in 4th by 4 lengths from whom she was also receiving 3lb. Rating through the 3rd and 4th would give a rating nearer 130. Witches Familiar did though beat Mino Des Mottes (5th) by 6.5 lengths further than last time on 4lb worse terms. All told this would indicate a rating in the mid 130s depending on how much they rate ease of victory.True, I would like to see what mark she got for that though. Switch From Diesel is rated 125 and she gave her about a 20lbs hammering
Of course, it's a G3 race and you need to be smart to win them, even the weak ones.Willie has now won this grade 3 novice hurdle 11 times out of the last 12 years. Generally his winners have tended to be "good" horses rather than "superstars".
I am in the same place. My view is that if Willie brings them out early then he doesn't think they are superstars. Every now and then he himself will be pleasantly surprised (e.g. Penhill) but I can not believe that when Penhill was introduced at Tramore in May and then progressed to Killarney, Galway and Listowel over the summer that Willie had any inkling that he would be winning at The Festival (and it did take a 1m step up in trip to do so after getting hammered in the Royal Bond).Of course, it's a G3 race and you need to be smart to win them, even the weak ones.
I did check Mullins mares nov hurdle record over recent years and after a period of total domination it's not a race he looks to target these days, the UK based trainers seem to have been in charge more recently.
Your excellent data is very useful, but what stands out for me is how few of those winners make it to Cheltenham, I'm sure there are some unfortunate injuries in that list but there will also be a few who weren't up to winning festival races.
I could be way off but I try hard not to get carried away with impressive early season performances, March is a long way off...
I still think Willie targets this race, its just that there is now a lot more competition from other stables with better class mares than there were in the early days of this event - he is no longer the only one sourcing the best and most expensive fillies/mares. In the last 6 years Willie has had Dinoblue, Jade De Grugy and Bambino Fever go off very short. In fact the combined odds of all his runners each year per below is very short in the context of this race - I still think he is the starting point for this race.I did check Mullins mares nov hurdle record over recent years and after a period of total domination it's not a race he looks to target these days, the UK based trainers seem to have been in charge more recently.