• HELP US - Become a Patron - Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated ... a small donation each month would be a huge contribution. Become a Patron!

JLT Novices 2018

I thought he was in the wrong race last year so it's good to see Elliot come round to a shorter trip.

His low head still really weirds me out though
 
As I put on the RSA thread, I believe he is ground dependent, and have no concerns for Finian's Oscar should he face Death Duty on good spring ground.

I think he'll be a horse I won't bet on anymore until nearer the time, I will wait for the 'going' description and any mention of soft in it will have me backing him.
 
Last edited:
Yanworth makes his chase debut tomorrow at Exeter 16:50 over 2m1f. Up against Stenrubin who is rated 143 over hurdles, to Yanworth's 163.
 
Sky have a request a bet that Death Duty or Finian's Oscar win the JLT at 9/2

Might tempt someone :confused:
 
Sternrubin a decent test for yanworth tomorrow over 2m1 he will be fit after his runs on the flat.
 
Sam Twiston-Davies has said 2m4f is Ballyandy's optimum trip.
 
WH's 33s is quite attractive I think.

Forgot to check the price! (How rarely does THAT happen).

I agree. I am not the biggest fan in the world and he didn;t blow me away beating Fagan on debut, but I do like Fagan and there is 16s in some places about him...
 
Class should prevail for Yanworth over inadequate trip , I do like horses who start of season running way short of there Cheltenham target race JLT/RSA. Build em up slowly to peak at right time ,king masterful at that.
 
I find it odd that Yanworth's debut is over a shorter than ideal trip, on soft ground, going right handed for a 7k pot.
I'm really not sure what to make of it...
 
I find it odd that Yanworth's debut is over a shorter than ideal trip, on soft ground, going right handed for a 7k pot.
I'm really not sure what to make of it...

I have to say I am really not overly excited about Yanworth going over fences this season He should have more than enough to see off this field but odds of 1/4 and 1/5...:very_drunk: I would be very cautious of him over fences especially his first couple of runs.
I don't think he'll take to fences that smoothly and possibly not end too well and it would not surprise me in the least to see him come back over hurdles later on in the year, particularly if UNWIMH isn't quite showing the same spark as last year (though no major reason why UNWIMH wouldn't)
 
I have to say I am really not overly excited about Yanworth going over fences this season He should have more than enough to see off this field but odds of 1/4 and 1/5...:very_drunk: I would be very cautious of him over fences especially his first couple of runs.
I don't think he'll take to fences that smoothly and possibly not end too well and it would not surprise me in the least to see him come back over hurdles later on in the year, particularly if UNWIMH isn't quite showing the same spark as last year (though no major reason why UNWIMH wouldn't)



I personally think he will do very well, his beatings of charbel and shantou village at Cheltenham as a novice long stay in my mind, 2m4 would be his trip for me, needs to respect his fences more than he does his hurdles, but ibexoect him to be a huge player for this race. No small task at all tomorrow, will be impressed if he wins well. I wouldn't have him anywhere near 1/4. As sternrubin a very solid horse and comes here fit.
 
Sternrubin is a front runner so should guarantee a decent enough pace that will help Yanworth over this shorter trip. I'm not sure how hard they'll go on Sternrubin though as he's run 6 times on the flat since May and was originally being aimed at the Cesarewitch before disappointing in the trial. He could be fit but he could also be due a break too.
 
I was really happy with yanworth there, especially as I rate sternrubin over 2 miles, nudged out by Geraghty in Yanworth s usual style and well on top at the line, im confident that 2m4 is his trip. And looking forward to him over fences.
 
In all seriousness Sutton place is a very good horse and also a very simular run style to yanworth. I think they both want thus trip, Whether they both go here or get split up, who knows.
 
Last edited:
Yanworth's trainer*Alan King said: "I am very happy with that performance as he was a bit big at the early fences but was very good down the far side of the track and really warmed to his task. We were taking on a race fit rival so he has done well in the circumstances.

"Barry was very happy with him as he came back and said he really warmed to the task and we have the option now of staying at a stiff two miles or moving him up to two and a half miles. However I have not looked beyond today as I wanted to get this out of the way first.

"I was always going to bring him to Exeter at either this meeting or the one at the beginning of November as it's a lovely track and there is not a better place to run a* novice as they learn plenty around here."
 
They'll probably leave it quite late with Yanworth regarding the trip he does down...and try him over a few different trips too.

I'd be leaning for the JLT, and was ring-leader of the Yanworth CH 'can't-be-pout-the-three' fanclub last season... but totally price related that I've not considered backing him since I had 1 pt e/w at 10/1 back in April this year :confused: Not my best bet... :highly_amused:
 
Interesting about the stiff run two over fences.... I'd be half tempted by 20s in the Arkle just through lack of depth, but really think JLT is the race?