• HELP US - Become a Patron - Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated ... a small donation each month would be a huge contribution. Become a Patron!

Cheltenham 2018 Ante post bets

  • Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 4957
  • Start date Start date
Say for instance pp went 8/1 melon arkle now, and pushed out to 33s champion. Despite what mullins had said, if be balls deep on melon arkle at 16s.
 
Considering a Melon (Champion Hurdle)/Min (CC) EW Double. Don't usually do EW on antepost but 20-1 and 12-1 1/4 odds at bet365 is just too appealing. If they both turn up in the races cannot see them out of the top 3.
 
Looking through my bets and the majority are multi's, all my single bets are on the exchanges but they are only there ready to trade out.

I've got plenty of same race cross doubles and trebles, something I am doing properly for the first time, if it turns out to be profitable then I shall be looking at doing it every year of the festival.
 
At my first Cheltenham I did.... it was 1 pt per race.... that quickly became 2 pts per race but there was no ante-post for me back then.


Little milestone - I've now got exactly 300 pts staked :rolleyes:

If I could pick 2 horses to win now, they'd be Samcro and Cause of Causes.... that'd see a return of 324 pts :highly_amused: If only it was that simple.
if only it was that easy indeed Kev.
 
if only it was that easy indeed Kev.

Lucky pass likely to be a unique case of wiinning over 2 miles and being cut for the bartlett on Saturday,
He's not 1 for me atm at 20s any race, but he gets his heavy ground, he's not ran for almost 2 years and has nothing to beat, will likely be impressive with a view to staying further.
But he has alot to answer after sat, unsure of his previous injury and only ever running on very soft ground.

*****
Didn't mean to quote That, sorry.
 
Considering a Melon (Champion Hurdle)/Min (CC) EW Double. Don't usually do EW on antepost but 20-1 and 12-1 1/4 odds at bet365 is just too appealing. If they both turn up in the races cannot see them out of the top 3.

Make sure you back them as each way singles too Samcro. Nothing worse than only one winning and not getting a dime off your bet.
 
I'm the wake of the terrible news about fayonagh.
I just backed
Salsaretta 20s,
Ainsi va la vie 16s
Kupatana 25s.
Cap soleil 19.0

To go with my previous bets of
mystic theatre 16s
Dame de compagne 20s
And 6s rip fayonagh.
A real shame we never got to see what she could do over hurdles
 
I'm the wake of the terrible news about fayonagh.
I just backed
Salsaretta 20s,
Ainsi va la vie 16s
Kupatana 25s.
Cap soleil 19.0

To go with my previous bets of
mystic theatre 16s
Dame de compagne 20s
And 6s rip fayonagh.
A real shame we never got to see what she could do over hurdles

Left this market well alone now until we see some of them run over hurdles, Fayonagh was the only one I had backed, and her passing (RIP), has affected a lot of my bets unfortunately, that said, it's the risk we take and indeed the risk the horse takes in being in this game, it's a huge shame and thoroughly undeserved, every bet is secondary to the horses welfare.

I have however now re-grouped, assessed my bets and have some new plans of attack, in light of this awful tragedy.
 
Last edited:
Presenting Percy races Monday (currently) @ Galway.

Bit of Death Duty form to keep an eye on too as Cap D'aubois also runs in the same race.
 
Left this market well alone now until we see some of them run over hurdles, Fayonagh was the only one I had backed, and her passing (RIP), has affected a lot of my bets unfortunately, that said, it's the risk we take and indeed the risk the horse takes in being in this game, it's a huge shame and thoroughly undeserved, every bet is secondary to the horses welfare.

I have however now re-grouped, assessed my bets and have some new plans of attack, in light of this awful tragedy.
there is an awful lot gonna be affected by this awful news, but all we can do is reload and go again. My portfolio wasn't as damaged as first feared
 
Desperately sad for connections. They're breeders so it's a double loss.
 
CoD - Had a bet that is similar to your method that you're using in the Mares hurdle but in the CC. Week back I had:

Trixie on Samcro, Altior, Cause of Causes - 116/1
Trixie on Samcro, Douvan, Cause of Causes - 207/1

2 pts each (total) - (I liked them because they're all running on Wednesday too :highly_amused:
 
CoD - Had a bet that is similar to your method that you're using in the Mares hurdle but in the CC. Week back I had:

Trixie on Samcro, Altior, Cause of Causes - 116/1
Trixie on Samcro, Douvan, Cause of Causes - 207/1

2 pts each (total) - (I liked them because they're all running on Wednesday too :highly_amused:

Good stuff Kev, I hadn't actually done the CC purely because I think Min may run in the race, hope Samcro doesn't go down the Supreme route now, that's my only worry, a lot of talk about it, but hoping it is just talk!

I've actually been splitting up a lot of races, CH with Buveur D'air / Faugheen, Stayers' with Nichols Canyon & UNWIMH, even been doing it with Finian's Oscar (mostly as cover) & Petit Mouchoir for the Arkle, of course it has massively affected my profit value, but I'm leveraging to make a profit overall not to make millions (because I've tried this before, for some reason it never happens ;-) ), but I do have my big multi's for life changing money to small stakes, should it all go to plan :)
 
Last edited:
After the various rumours Samcro could be heading for the Supreme, i've taken the plunge and grabbed 16's. I've covered Samcro in several multiples for the Ballymore, mainly Yankee's and Lucky 15's, so i've approached backing him in the Supreme slightly differently...

I've had an outright win and then a win treble, with 2 of my other strong fancies (Cause of Causes and Mystic Theatre), very nice returns on this. If Samcro does go Supreme, i'd like to think he will keep this bet alive, and then it's just one leg i've lost on my multiples for the Ballymore.

Not too sure it's the right approach, but at least i'm covered (kind of).
 
After the various rumours Samcro could be heading for the Supreme, i've taken the plunge and grabbed 16's. I've covered Samcro in several multiples for the Ballymore, mainly Yankee's and Lucky 15's, so i've approached backing him in the Supreme slightly differently...

I've had an outright win and then a win treble, with 2 of my other strong fancies (Cause of Causes and Mystic Theatre), very nice returns on this. If Samcro does go Supreme, i'd like to think he will keep this bet alive, and then it's just one leg i've lost on my multiples for the Ballymore.

Not too sure it's the right approach, but at least i'm covered (kind of).

I have done much the same tbh, there is no correct approach, so just believe in what you do :) Also have Samcro 'Any Race' a couple of times too so either way should be covered for the stakes laid out, although he still has to win :p
 
I have taken some of the price for supreme for Samcro, just to cover my tickets for ballymore. Mainly have it at 'any race'. But like CoD said it has to win haha
 
I've nailed my colours to the mast with Samcro and backed a while ago for the Ballymore.

All season there will be rumours of this and rumours of that.

Neon Wolf last year was going for the Neptune for the majority, suddenly there was rumour of him going for the Supreme, he was blue throughout on oddschecker. He still went Neptune.

The any race market is a very good play. But for me I think he's going here so rightly or wrongly I won't be covering, the only worry is actually making it to Cheltenham in one piece. As we know the fragility of horses. And then of course he's still got to win!
 
Here's one from left field. There is a horse entered in the Ballymore Novice Hurdle on Friday at Cheltenham called Its All Guesswork trained by Gordon Elliott. I do not think the horse is there to win but rather get a sighter of the course as Gordon likes to do with some of his horses at this meeting (he also has Fagan entered in a chase). Now, connecting the owner into the theory and it would not surprise me if this horse ended up in the Coral Cup or Pertemps (owner has won the last two renewals) come March.

It's a speculative theory but could have substance...

Confirmed for tomorrow.
 
Slate house confirmed for the 2 mile novice which looks a weak race so he should put on a performance.
looks like that will leave dostal phil v western Ryder at Bangor.