• HELP US - Become a Patron - Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated ... a small donation each month would be a huge contribution. Become a Patron!

Champion Hurdle 2020

Is it not better to see them clash over both of their optimum trip so there are no question marks against it after the race?

Not at the festival, no.

Afterwards, absolutely.

I'd prefer to see them clash in a real race, if one gets best because 2m isn't right, so what?
 
Completely with you on this. Never be scared of one horse especially when you know your horse is better over 2 mile 4f.

Nothing to do with being scared of one horse.

Irrelevant to what he asked me.
 
It'll be a smashing clash on the day.
But the race of the day is lessened because of this.
If they do clash, then one of them will be regretting it for sure.

Winnable Champion hurdles don't come around very often, and the Mares can be won 6 times on the trot if you're good enough, stepping off the beach too.

All fair points
 
Just knew this news would get Kev fired up...

Totally agree as well. Doesn't bother me at all that the Mares Hurdle could be better than the Champion Hurdle tbh. Two great mares taking each other on... its a rarity and most years the CH will be a great race. So lets just enjoy this clash while we have it.

So why not have them clash in the Champion Hurdle?

I'd you don't care that the Mares Hurdle is deemed the same or better than the Champion Hurdle, what's the point of the festival really?
 
Just knew this news would get Kev fired up...

Exactly my thoughts. You want your horse running over their ideal trip. I think Honeysuckle connections would regret it more if they went to the weaker Champion Hurdle and lost, rather than running her over her optimum trip against one of the best in training where she still has a great chance of winning.

So what's wrong with making it a grade 2?

If it's at her optimum, would they still go for it?
 
Not at the festival, no.

Afterwards, absolutely.

I'd prefer to see them clash in a real race, if one gets best because 2m isn't right, so what?

I don’t understand that Kev, sorry.

So they should send their horses to a race they may not think they can win over 2m just because it makes it a better race?

Can’t agree with that if that’s what your saying. Makes no sense for owner or trainer to send their horse to a race they don’t think they could win if they have a better suited race they can win.

Edit - Trainers and owners are in it for the passion of racing and winning, don’t think many will be all about the money. Yes the champion hurdle is the more prestigious race. I’m not disagreeing about the whole mares Ryanair etc debate where horses defect to easier races. I’m talking about trainers/owners putting horses into the best chance they can win whether that’s the more prestigious or not.
 
Last edited:
Right, let me get home and I'll explain... 7ish :victorious:
 
Benie is never a 2 miler, Honeysuckle might be...

If only there was a 3 mile hurdle she could run in ...

Or an Aintree festival with a prestigious Intermediate Hurdle
 
Not at the festival, no.

Afterwards, absolutely.

I'd prefer to see them clash in a real race, if one gets best because 2m isn't right, so what?

For me personally, even more so at the festival, would rather see them clash over 2m4 as this is when they are both at their best. I understand what you mean regarding the stature of the race though. I hope they both run to form so we can see a great race either way.
 
Benie is never a 2 miler, Honeysuckle might be...

I agree.

I think BDD would get beat over 2miles, would have a great chance in the stayers and imo will win the mares should she take that route.

Honeysuckle would have a chance at the champion, no evidence of stayers really and imo will get beat off BDD in the mares.

That’s where I’m at :encouragement:

But I don’t agree that they should go for 2m champion Hurdle just to make it a better race, not if they don’t think they can win it.
 
So why not have them clash in the Champion Hurdle?

I'd you don't care that the Mares Hurdle is deemed the same or better than the Champion Hurdle, what's the point of the festival really?

Whats the point of the Festival?! Bit of a leap there Kev surely?!

You have two great Mares whose best trip is 2m4f and there is a 2m4f Mares race. Perfect. We have a mouthwatering clash, and the first I can remember in this race.

I don't think this discussion would even be happening if Buveur Dair and Saldier, Klassical Dream etc were fit. The problem this year is the 2m Champion Hurdle division is weak. That's happened before and will happen again. But suggesting Mares should switch from their normal targets because of that doesn't really seem the right answer to me.
 
You have two great Mares whose best trip is 2m4f and there is a 2m4f Mares race. Perfect. We have a mouthwatering clash, and the first I can remember in this race.

This match up could be the starting point it needs for the Mares hurdle to be recognised as a quality race, so trainers don't feel the need to switch their mares to a race that is less than their optimum.
 
For me personally, even more so at the festival, would rather see them clash over 2m4 as this is when they are both at their best. I understand what you mean regarding the stature of the race though. I hope they both run to form so we can see a great race either way.

You could argue BDD's best piece of form is over 3 miles though, and has not been tested over 2 mile.
And also that Honeysuckle's best piece of form and her biggest victory was over 2 mile's on good to yielding ground.

In fact I'd say there's no real argument.
So it's you and many others that say 2m 4f is there optimum trip.

There is very little difference in the 2 trips in my mind, although 2 miles to 3 miles is more of a difference (obviously :highly_amused:)

There would be very little difference in average speed (probably less than 2mph) average 33/34 mph vs 35/36 mph.
The big factor that is never easy to predict is how economically the race will be run and how each individual horse can cope. The better ones that don't lose very much have usually proved they are more adaptable than the rest.
 
Just bring Annie Power back out of retirement and be done with this nonsense.
 
Just bring Annie Power back out of retirement and be done with this nonsense.

Yep,
She could run around with Galileo riding her (again) and still beat the field.