• HELP US - Become a Patron - Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated ... a small donation each month would be a huge contribution. Become a Patron!

2024 Stayers Hurdle

She was keen all the way round

Was never going to find anything especially at this trip

She gets better with racing imo and they made a mistake not running her more last season

She can be quite fresh and free going like she was in the mares hurdle when she found nothing

Was giving weight to tbf ….,but can’t have her in stayers myself
 
And yet another example why we need to see 2 runs at a minimum before making any decisions.

Well I’ve already backed her for stayers and cannot cash out, so I am very interested to see her next race, but my gut says we won’t see her at her best again, whatever distance…… I really hope I’m wrong
 
I'd like to see a quote from the jockey or trainer as although she not have found anything I didn't get the impression the jockey asked for much. Will re-watch
 
I'd like to see a quote from the jockey or trainer as although she not have found anything I didn't get the impression the jockey asked for much. Will re-watch

the jockey was interviewed after the race and said she needed that to get the freshness out. I got the impression he wasn’t at all surprised by the run. He said relkeel next and was specifically asked about 3 miles (or what direction after the relkeel) and he said the plan is to return to 3 miles after the relkeel. So all eyes on the relkeel to see if she still has all her ability imo. For those assuming the 3 mile project is over, it isn’t according to Nico. He was quite clear.

P.s this obviously isn’t an exact quote, it is me paraphrasing, but the one thing he was crystal clear on was the intention to go back to 3 miles after the relkeel.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Irish Rugby
the jockey was interviewed after the race and said she needed that to get the freshness out. I got the impression he wasn’t at all surprised by the run. He said relkeel next and was specifically asked about 3 miles (or what direction after the relkeel) and he said the plan is to return to 3 miles after the relkeel. So all eyes on the relkeel to see if she still has all her ability imo. For those assuming the 3 mile project is over, it isn’t according to Nico. He was quite clear.

P.s this obviously isn’t an exact quote, it is me paraphrasing, but the one thing he was crystal clear on was the intention to go back to 3 miles after the relkeel.

Well that gives me hope that I am wrong.
All eyes on the Relkeel indeed then.
 
the jockey was interviewed after the race and said she needed that to get the freshness out. I got the impression he wasn’t at all surprised by the run. He said relkeel next and was specifically asked about 3 miles (or what direction after the relkeel) and he said the plan is to return to 3 miles after the relkeel. So all eyes on the relkeel to see if she still has all her ability imo. For those assuming the 3 mile project is over, it isn’t according to Nico. He was quite clear.

P.s this obviously isn’t an exact quote, it is me paraphrasing, but the one thing he was crystal clear on was the intention to go back to 3 miles after the relkeel.

Thanks RB I'll check out the quote. I'll certainly be keeping my Stayers ticket for her, cash-out is dismal anyway
 
I'd be really shocked if the Stayers was on the agenda at all now
I don't know how anyone would think she'd run there, unless they'd already backed her for the race.

Anyone that hasn't backed her for the Stayers already, after today, would you? She's 33/1?
 
I'd be really shocked if the Stayers was on the agenda at all now
I don't know how anyone would think she'd run there, unless they'd already backed her for the race.

Anyone that hasn't backed her for the Stayers already, after today, would you? She's 33/1?

Guess that depends on whether you believe what the Jockey said after race today?
 
Dashel Drasher is 66/1 for the Stayers

Obviously 2nd last year


Career runs over obstacles

3341111/2U1/3111/312P/122226-3

25 runs

21 of those 25 races he's been in the first 3. Winning 10 of them.
Cheltenham 4 times, finishing 1222 (thanks @Lobos)


That is not bad at all is it :indecisiveness:
Wildly over priced anyway? Might get beaten by Marie's Rock this weekend, but if he doesn't (and he's 2nd fav for that race).... meh.
The horse he was ahead of in the Stayers, Teahupoo, is the 6/1 current 2nd fav



Not sexy and won't get much love, but I'm going to back him each way at 66/1
and if they push him to 80/1 or even 100/1 after a defeat, I'll definitely be backing him again for the Stayers :victorious:

Double D wins all

Now 26 runs, 11 wins

and his first win at 3miles today


:semi-twins::semi-twins::semi-twins::semi-twins::semi-twins::semi-twins::semi-twins::semi-twins::semi-twins::semi-twins::semi-twins::semi-twins:


All in. Take the 25s.
 
Guess that depends on whether you believe what the Jockey said after race today?

Only just seen - that does make sense then - I was baffled, but now it makes sense.

Got to be worth considering at 33/1 then I suppose, nearer the time.
 
Double D wins all

Now 26 runs, 11 wins

and his first win at 3miles today


:semi-twins::semi-twins::semi-twins::semi-twins::semi-twins::semi-twins::semi-twins::semi-twins::semi-twins::semi-twins::semi-twins::semi-twins:


All in. Take the 25s.

At 5am this morning catching up on the FJ's threads before work from last night i hit the 50s with WH boosted to 56. Im waving the Double D flag thanx Kev. Shame the Double D's isnt on the Mrs
 
  • Like
Reactions: Kevloaf
the jockey was interviewed after the race and said she needed that to get the freshness out. I got the impression he wasn’t at all surprised by the run. He said relkeel next and was specifically asked about 3 miles (or what direction after the relkeel) and he said the plan is to return to 3 miles after the relkeel. So all eyes on the relkeel to see if she still has all her ability imo. For those assuming the 3 mile project is over, it isn’t according to Nico. He was quite clear.

P.s this obviously isn’t an exact quote, it is me paraphrasing, but the one thing he was crystal clear on was the intention to go back to 3 miles after the relkeel.

Great news. She's definitely more a threat in the Mares Hurdle than the Stayers IMO. She simply won't stay in a true run Cheltenham Stayers.
 
Great news. She's definitely more a threat in the Mares Hurdle than the Stayers IMO. She simply won't stay in a true run Cheltenham Stayers.

And yet they intend to go back to 3m after the Relkeel.
If she’s at her best, a true run stayers would give her the best chance imo.
 
Last edited:
And yet they intend to go back to 3m after the Relkeel.
If she’s at her best, a true run stayers would give her the best chance imo.

Hopefully she wins the Relkeel (often a very weak race) and then she's likely to go straight to the Stayers. That's what I'd hope for anyway. I've banged the 'she won't stay' drum for a long time now and yesterday's race hasn't changed my opinion one bit. I'm a stubborn old bugger !
 
I've banged the 'she won't stay' drum for a long time now and yesterday's race hasn't changed my opinion one bit. I'm a stubborn old bugger !

There wasn't a lot in yesterday's race to suggest she would stay to be fair. I'm heavily invested in her for the Stayers but I wouldn't want to be in the position I'm in based on yesterday's running. I would argue that she was beaten before staying became a factor yesterday though. She lost 5 lengths at the top of the straight and then stayed approximately that length behind the whole way down the straight. It's reasonable to say Paisley stayed better yesterday as he got a lot closer to the front two over the length of the straight, but if Marie's hadn't stayed she would have fallen further behind down the straight and/or been pulled up rather than just tenderly ridden. I don't think the Relkeel will tell us anything either given it's run over shorter so I'll just let my cards run until March and hope it was just fitness that caused her to look poor yesterday.
 
Can't wait for the clash with theleme at cheltenham
 
Frustrating to see Buddy One in that race there... this is the problem with backing horses that are with 'smaller' yards that dont necessary follow standard routes or go down trials - would have liked to have seen him saved for the Cleeve Hurdle

Teahupoo - he's a proper middle distance horse. Its a shame there isnt a race of this nature at the fez