Whilst "Willie busts stats" is something you can say, surely using that as a case is just tongue-in-cheek. You can't use that as a logical reason to just ignore why it'd be important to gain more experience? I don't think Sir Gerhard has shown he jumps well enough to be considered a major threat at the price he is either? He will need to be sensational to win an RSA on his second chase start?
Winning a P2P 4 years ago isn't massively important is it?
His bumper form was average? Is that fair?
His hurdles form looks average? I think that's fair on balance too.
His chase form is 1 run and looks average at best as Largy debut isn't even worth discussing.
The annoying thing, is as he's a previous dual festival winner, he won't actually get any bigger :sorrow: - and I'm not going to die on a hill opposing him, but I think he's got to defy a helluva lot and he's only 5/1 NRNB to do so.
I watched the interview at the time where Willie was warbling about him up in trip .... didn't strike me as a plan either..... as RB has just said above, an after thought....
5/2 Gerri Colombe over 5/1 Sir Gerhard .... you've not changed my mind yet
If that was my only reason then yes saying Willie defies stats would be tongue in cheek, but I thought I'd save a pointless debate about stats by mentioning it. If I wanted to use stats, Gerri Colombe hasn't had enough lifetime runs to win a Brown Advisory. Do I think that would stop him? Of course not. But then it might because history suggests he won't................................ :highly_amused:
Calling him an average bumper horse and an average hurdler, when he was the best bumper horse, and the best middle distance hurdler of his generations? I presume your tongue was very firmly in your cheek with that rationale though :highly_amused::highly_amused::highly_amused:
Winning a P2P 4 years ago is only important if you think chasing inexperience would be Sir G's undoing. He jumped particularly well that day in an excellent time. So much so he was also regarded as the best Pointer of his generation.
Bumpers, Hurdles, Points, I make 3-0 to Sir G so far, and that's what I'd call a trend!!! We could add in Chase debuts to make it a 4-0 drubbing if you like. :highly_amused::highly_amused::highly_amused:
Once they stopped dawdling he jumped particularly well thee weeks ago too I thought. Essentially I don't see an issue with his jumping and I don't see it as any more a reason for him to be beaten than Gerri Colombe. It's simply evidence to add to the mix.
His one chase run so far needs to be examined by the race he ran not as a comparison to Largy Debut, just as Gerri needs examining in the same way having beaten horses that anyone of the top 6-8 in the market would. Using their chase debuts as comparisons, because it's all we have, then I believe Sir G was the better horse. Not only did I think so, RPR and Timeform did too. I presume you disagree?
Gerri has run twice since and improved both times. Sir G hasn't had the opportunity to, so we can't compare. But we can use comparisons in the other disciplines to help. Sir G was 18 pounds better over hurdles, and 15lbs better in bumpers. So have you seen anything that gives you good reason why Gerri has improved so significantly to take him past Sir Gerhard if they both turn up at their best that I haven't?
What we do know is that both of them will be fit for their life in March, and granted a clear round for both I'm 100% confident that Sir G has the better engine and is the classier horse, so if we have the usual Festival ground he'll finish in front of Gerri. Elliott has said too many times that he wants soft ground to be at his best for it to not actually be true. So if it's soft or heavy I'd be less certain about the result between the two of them. But then I think Gerri has Thedevilscoachman and Galia des Liteaux to contend with, and I'd rather be on them at huge odds than Gerri at 5/2.
Anyhow, the whole point of my response is that however much you like him, I struggle to see how you could have him as the nap of the Festival?
