• HELP US - Become a Patron - Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated ... a small donation each month would be a huge contribution. Become a Patron!

2022 Triumph Hurdle

  • Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 4957
  • Start date Start date
To be fair it's a desperate looking race today.

May not have been a great deal of depth but the winner is rated 96 on flat.

Think they’ll be disappointed to have got beat but missed the last and rallied at the line and a mile back to the third.
Not without hope…
 
Looked like Vauban did a decent bit of learning the whole way round whereas the winner seems to have taken to it straight away. Plenty of improvement to come from Vauban but there will be from most others too, hard not to feel like we've seen a good few better already.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Faugheen_Machine
Think we've seen two good juveniles there, both FTO and both with the potential to improve. Will need to see them in graded races and probably at the DRF, if they're to play a part in this race.
 
Didn’t look to have the gears of Icare Allen, and I doubt even if he improved his jumping, he’d be troubling Fil Dor and some of the others

I don’t think there was anything as good as Pied Piper or Vauban in Icare Allen’s race. Therefore visually Icare Allen may have looked like he had more gears but that could be due to the opposition.
 
Not the best in the jumping department but seems to have an engine so I’m sure he’ll come on from that.

I think the race will prove decent in time. Both horses off the flat so not typical jumping pedigrees.
 
May not have been a great deal of depth but the winner is rated 96 on flat.

Think they’ll be disappointed to have got beat but missed the last and rallied at the line and a mile back to the third.
Not without hope…

3rd an ex aob horse, 4th rated 99 on the flat as well
 
Didn’t look to have the gears of Icare Allen, and I doubt even if he improved his jumping, he’d be troubling Fil Dor and some of the others

As soon as the Leopardstown Maiden Hurdle entries came out, it was clear to me that Icare Allen was preferred to Vauban to debut there. Vauban was also entered at Leopardstown but moved to Punchestown today instead.

Theyre both good horses, though.

Willie can sometimes leave juveniles that are beaten on their debuts, to be Novices for next season, so its something to keep in mind.

Vauban was close enough today, to a win, to continue on with his juvenile season.

 
Fil D'Or beat Max Mayhem 26L on his 2nd start, Vauban and Pied Piper just beat it 25L on debut....might not be so bad.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Eudipe
Saxon Warrior I had that in mind when I was posting - apologies I should have referenced it when I was making the comparison. he may well come on for the run, but Pied Piper was perhaps the surprise.
 
Saxon Warrior I had that in mind when I was posting - apologies I should have referenced it when I was making the comparison. he may well come on for the run, but Pied Piper was perhaps the surprise.

I couldnt back Vauban for todays race, or the Triumph, because of the flat form of Pied Piper.

Gordon has said, when asked about Fil Dor, that he has two or three at home that he also thinks a lot of, and so looking at his Flat form, Pied Piper was always going to be one of them.

So it became a "watch and learn" race for me.

Learned
Pied Piper was one of those Gordon was thinking of - TICK
Vauban came to Punchy, as Icare Allen was the better of them for their debuts - TICK

What happens from here, needs assessing now. :encouragement:
 
Last edited:
“He’s a nice horse and I think there is an awful amount of improvement in him. I couldn’t see him winning today and he hasn’t even been away from home. He jumped well and probably travelled a bit too well early." @gelliott_racing on Pied Piper (16/5)
 
I always like to see a horse with good and consistent form for the Triumph. Won by many a horse near the top of the market. but maybe not the obvious favourite. Still also time for something to surface and turn up in February before coming here in mid March.
 
I don’t think there was anything as good as Pied Piper or Vauban in Icare Allen’s race. Therefore visually Icare Allen may have looked like he had more gears but that could be due to the opposition.

Just to touch on this, I feel, Icare Allen has to be marked up due to the start of his race and especially over the first, to win the way he did pulling away at the line, on debut. Big thumbs up for me.

The two today, both smart horses aswell.
 
Just to touch on this, I feel, Icare Allen has to be marked up due to the start of his race and especially over the first, to win the way he did pulling away at the line, on debut. Big thumbs up for me.

The two today, both smart horses aswell.

For sure, I’m not crabbing Icare Allen as I liked him pre and post race. He has a different profile to the two from todays race too.

The Triumph hurdle course looks like it would play to Vaubans strength as he looks strong in the finish and stays well.
 
I was really impressed with Vauban and Pied Piper today and topped up on Vauban for the Triumph when Betfair pushed the price to 20/1.

Two promising horses.