• HELP US - Become a Patron - Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated ... a small donation each month would be a huge contribution. Become a Patron!

2026 Novice Hurdlers

I know how much everyone loves an RPR on here :ROFLMAO: so just some musings from me.

The Turners market.

Two horses have achieved a high RPR of 149 this season prior to the festival, No Drama This End & Doctor Steinberg. The ones in behind have some catching up to do.

In market order (ante post top price) they look like the following:

9/2 No Drama This End - Top RPR 149 - Run 3 times this season
11/2 Mighty Park - Top RPR 144 - 1 run
7/1 Skylight Hustle - Top RPR 146 - 3 runs
8/1 Ballyfad - Top RPR 144 - 2 runs (also 2 bumper runs this season)
10/1 Doctor Steinberg - Top RPR 149 - 3 runs
12/1 Act Of Innocence - Top RPR 139 - 3 runs
14/1 King Rasko Grey - Top RPR 143 - 2 runs
16/1 Sortudo - Top RPR 139 - 2 runs
16/1 I'll Sort That - Top RPR 144 - 4 runs

Off the back of looking at these I'd say the market is about right, with the exception of Doctor Steinberg, who is a 10/1 shot ante post, on the basis of him potentially going for the Bartlett. I'll Sort That is probably over priced too, but was on to his 4th run, so how much more improvement is there to come, and could also be Bartlett bound.

Really, if Mighty Park can find 6lbs improvement (and he should) I think he wins the Turners. By now, these horses who have had 3 runs really should be getting 150's+, I know it's only 1lb difference for a couple of them but you have to draw the line somewhere. I can accept a horse with 2 starts not quite getting there, but even the ones with 2 starts they are still a bit behind that.

There will be the argument, for the likes of Skylight Hustle, Ballyfad & King Rasko Grey that a step up in trip could bring about the improvement required, and that is absolutely true, it could, but even going back in recent seasons, Impaire Et Passe posted a 149 on his 2nd start over hurdles for Willie, and that was over 2m, Ballyburn a 157 in the race Ballyfad & King Rasko Grey achieved their highest RPR's this season, before stepping back up in trip for the Turners, even Sir Gerhard, he achieved a 157 on his second ever start over hurdles at the DRF over 2m.

Based on the above, I don't think it's looking a great race for quality, and will not take a serious amount of winning, IMO.

If I had to predict the 1-2-3 at this stage it would probably look like this:

1. Mighty Park (making the assumption he improves the required amount)
2. No Drama This End
3. King Rasko Grey

I've taken other factors in to this decision, that both Doctor Steinberg & I'll Sort That head to the Bartlett, and that King Rasko Grey will be the most likely to improve for a step up in trip, ahead of Ballyfad, who has run 4 times this season (twice in bumpers) and Skylight Hustle who has already had 3 runs and only managed a top RPR of 146 so far.
Good post. You've summarised what we're going to hear at every preview evening for the next 4-weeks re Mighty Park. "He's run once and beaten nothing getting it all his own way" vs "he's only run in a maiden hurdle and has been the most impressive horse by far". Interesting how itcan be framed either way.
 
We won't know until after the race how good he is and if he gets stuffed then there will likely be a significant downward revision to the debut RPR which had to be a bit of a guess. It is his current price which is more interesting to me:

Currently he is 4/1 nrnb for the Turners. There is money wanting to back him at around 6.6 on the Exchange. This implies a roughly 75% chance of running in the Turners (4/1 plus 1/3 double). I think most people would say that this is in the right ballpark.

If he has a 75% chance of running in the Turners then he must have a 25% chance of running in the Supreme (ignoring small % for not running at all). There is money wanting to back him on the Exchange as low as 13.5 / 14.0 this morning. That being the case it would imply that the nrnb price given a 25% chance of running should be about 5/2 (whereas current nrnb price is 8/1) . Obviously those backing at that price think he's got a higher than 25% chance of running in the Supreme.

His combined price on the Exchange is now about 10/3 - that is very tight for such an inexperienced horse.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Runragged
No Mighty Park in the MIchael Purcell so looks like he goes straight there.
 
We won't know until after the race how good he is and if he gets stuffed then there will likely be a significant downward revision to the debut RPR which had to be a bit of a guess. It is his current price which is more interesting to me:

Currently he is 4/1 nrnb for the Turners. There is money wanting to back him at around 6.6 on the Exchange. This implies a roughly 75% chance of running in the Turners (4/1 plus 1/3 double). I think most people would say that this is in the right ballpark.

If he has a 75% chance of running in the Turners then he must have a 25% chance of running in the Supreme (ignoring small % for not running at all). There is money wanting to back him on the Exchange as low as 13.5 / 14.0 this morning. That being the case it would imply that the nrnb price given a 25% chance of running should be about 5/2 (whereas current nrnb price is 8/1) . Obviously those backing at that price think he's got a higher than 25% chance of running in the Supreme.

His combined price on the Exchange is now about 10/3 - that is very tight for such an inexperienced horse.
I would go as far as to say it is virtually impossible to give the horse an accurate RPR based on that run. How do you determine who has run to form? The 3rd (RPR 86) has since been beat 67 lengths by Laurets D'Estruval and given a 53 RPR The 5th, RPR of 64 got a 54 RPR next time when beaten 58 lengths off a handicap mark of 104. However, the 4th went and won a maiden next time with RPR of 119 when more prominent tactics for this McManus owned horse 'worked the oracle'.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Prestbury
Mighty Park rpr is worthless really
He seems a bit of an afterthought from both JP and Willie
Neither had much for the novice hurdles so it seems they abandoned plans to go in the bumper
Now they’re stuck with a badly prepared horse really
But he looks good either way
 
Mighty Park rpr is worthless really
He seems a bit of an afterthought from both JP and Willie
Neither had much for the novice hurdles so it seems they abandoned plans to go in the bumper
Now they’re stuck with a badly prepared horse really
But he looks good either way

That's not how Willie portrayed it. He wanted him to go down the bumper route, JP said hurdles. JP got his way.

Funnily enough, despite my post, there is an element of worthlessness to his RPR, because likely part of the make up of it would have been his winning distance, but he was allowed to do what he wanted, that said, there are parts of the calculation of an RPR that will have made him up to a rating of 144.

Individuals can take them as they wish, obviously, some will chuck them straight in the bin, others will use them as part of their decision making and I'm sure some use them as a strong part of their decision making when it comes to placing a bet on a horse or not.
 
Or.... he really is faugheen reincarnated and they thought why waste a year in bumpers. And they don't care about him only having one run because he's a freak of nature.

Much better spin on it if you've backed him 😂
 
  • Haha
Reactions: ComplyOrDie
That's not how Willie portrayed it. He wanted him to go down the bumper route, JP said hurdles. JP got his way.

Funnily enough, despite my post, there is an element of worthlessness to his RPR, because likely part of the make up of it would have been his winning distance, but he was allowed to do what he wanted, that said, there are parts of the calculation of an RPR that will have made him up to a rating of 144.

Individuals can take them as they wish, obviously, some will chuck them straight in the bin, others will use them as part of their decision making and I'm sure some use them as a strong part of their decision making when it comes to placing a bet on a horse or not.
Yep, JP desperate for something in the novice hurdles, Willie won't have argued too hard for the same reasons.
I'd doubt very much they were thinking of hurdling back in the Autumn.
Poor prep for a novice hurdler.
I've backed for both races at just over double figures and NRNB supreme.
I'm hoping he goes turners, and we'll see if it's Mullins hyping the only horse he can realistically hype going into the 2 main novice hurdle races. Or Not.
I do have in the back of my mind the good half dozen or so other hurdlers that the yard and those surrounding the yard have already hyped up this season.
Got to back it up.
 
  • Like
Reactions: ComplyOrDie
I'll be watching Whiskey Yankee on Saturday at Haydock with interest. I think he took a big step forward at Ascot last time and this further step up in trip should suit his running style. Bits of 40/1 available for him for the Albert Bartlett.
 
Yep, JP desperate for something in the novice hurdles, Willie won't have argued too hard for the same reasons.
I'd doubt very much they were thinking of hurdling back in the Autumn.
Poor prep for a novice hurdler.
I've backed for both races at just over double figures and NRNB supreme.
I'm hoping he goes turners, and we'll see if it's Mullins hyping the only horse he can realistically hype going into the 2 main novice hurdle races. Or Not.
I do have in the back of my mind the good half dozen or so other hurdlers that the yard and those surrounding the yard have already hyped up this season.
Got to back it up.
Worth remembering that he was due to appear in a maiden at Leopardstown at Christmas, the same meeting at which Leader D'Allier and Doctor Du Mesnil took in their maidens and who were the other top nothcers for the yard at that point. The poor prep is almost all down to him being withdrawn on the morning of his prospective maiden for "colic". Something connections have never mentioned since ...

If he'd have run then, he'd have then been at the DRF, more than likely, getting a Kopek style prep.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Quevega
Worth remembering that he was due to appear in a maiden at Leopardstown at Christmas, the same meeting at which Leader D'Allier and Doctor Du Mesnil took in their maidens and who were the other top nothcers for the yard at that point. The poor prep is almost all down to him being withdrawn on the morning of his prospective maiden for "colic". Something connections have never mentioned since ...

If he'd have run then, he'd have then been at the DRF, more than likely, getting a Kopek style prep.
Yes and this was mullins pre race preview..

Mighty Park (Mark Walsh) is making his hurdling debut and it is also his first run for us. He is a big chasing type who has point to point experience. His homework is impressive and he’s a very exciting horse to have in the yard. We’ll be disappointed if he isn’t good enough today.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Exar Essay
Heads Up in the Sheila Bourke will be interesting, especially as a backer for the Supreme at big odds.

Can still get 80's NRNB, and I'll tell you what, there will be no prisoners taken if they let him off in the Supreme.

I'm not sure why they tried pissing around restraining him at Cheltenham LTO, but it didn't work at all. Wouldn't be surprised if he nicked a place in a Supreme though, with his running style. I remember a horse, For Pleasure, for Alex Hales, bolted off in front, managed to nick a place, albeit a little fortuitously with Blue Lord coming down.

The bumper form from last season hasn't looked too shabby either, the only one really letting it down from those that finished close up has been Caballero Cliff!

This will all, of course, be irrelevant if Heads Up can't win the Sheila Bourke well.

Heads Up declared.

Danny Mullins on board!
 
  • Like
Reactions: Eggs
I'm thinking Paul's Novice Hurdle rides will be as follows....

Supreme .....Leader
Turners.....King Rasko
Albert...... Doctor S

What's other people's 3???
Feels about as important a discussion as who’s going to grab the Europa league places ….there you go for all of you on the first two listed I’ve just guaranteed you a pick up with my famous last words .
 
  • Haha
Reactions: EnvoiAlien
I'm thinking Paul's Novice Hurdle rides will be as follows....

Supreme .....Leader
Turners.....King Rasko
Albert...... Doctor S

What's other people's 3???
Probably agree. Only other one I could see him being on might be sortudo, which could change things, given I'm not sure what his trip is.
 
I'm thinking Paul's Novice Hurdle rides will be as follows....

Supreme .....Leader
Turners.....King Rasko
Albert...... Doctor S

What's other people's 3???
Agreed. I played the treble yesterday @ 1100/1 with Coral for interest.
 
Feels about as important a discussion as who’s going to grab the Europa league places ….there you go for all of you on the first two listed I’ve just guaranteed you a pick up with my famous last words .
This sort of thing could have me asking how the water table is looking...
 
  • Like
Reactions: Irish Rugby
Agreed. I played the treble yesterday @ 1100/1 with Coral for interest.
Can I make it clear I'm not saying any of the 3 will win , just that PT will ride them.

I'll probably do a Trixie on them and do another substituting Mighty Park for KR.