• HELP US - Become a Patron - Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated ... a small donation each month would be a huge contribution. Become a Patron!

2023 Stayers Hurdle

Talk of Bob not staying is daft. IMO

Did he outstay some good stayers today ?
or did he do them for pace ?

if he did them for pace then how do we conclude he doesn’t stay ?

The negatives
he was getting weight off porter
it wasn’t even 3 miles
and he needs to learn to travel behind the bridle.

the last issue is the most concerning for a stayers hopeful IMO.

but for a first run out of novice company after looking so poor towards the end of last season I thought he did ok.

And 16-1 was fair.
 
Talk of Bob not staying is daft. IMO

Did he outstay some good stayers today ?
or did he do them for pace ?

I don't think it's daft, at this stage. He's got that to prove.

He's won a p2p over 3m, we know p2p's can be misleading and any classy horse can stay 3m at a pace completely different to a G1 over 3m. The only other time he tackled 3m was in a chase at the back end of last season, but we know him and fences were not really a match made in heaven. I think it's fair to have doubts over 3m, currently, and that coming from a big supporter of Bob for this race. I've confidence he'll be fine, but needs to prove it.

I've no idea whether he outstayed some stayers today or did them for pace. You would expect, if it turned into a sprint that it would have suited Zanahiyr, but then again a few of them, including the winner, were off the bridle a fair way out suggesting it was run at a fair pace and a test of stamina would have come into play.

What do you think it was, out of interest?
 
I've watched the race back again a couple of times and I just think there is something troubling Bob at the end of his races. He either just bottoms out/throws the towel in or more likely he has a breathing issue. The race was 17 seconds slower than standard on fairly quick going so you can't really say it was a test of stamina either. The 2m 4f maiden was run in just 5 seconds slower and the winner carried 9lbs more. He just doesn't look happy whatever the reason.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: Star De Mohaison
I don't think it's daft, at this stage. He's got that to prove.

He's won a p2p over 3m, we know p2p's can be misleading and any classy horse can stay 3m at a pace completely different to a G1 over 3m. The only other time he tackled 3m was in a chase at the back end of last season, but we know him and fences were not really a match made in heaven. I think it's fair to have doubts over 3m, currently, and that coming from a big supporter of Bob for this race. I've confidence he'll be fine, but needs to prove it.

I've no idea whether he outstayed some stayers today or did them for pace. You would expect, if it turned into a sprint that it would have suited Zanahiyr, but then again a few of them, including the winner, were off the bridle a fair way out suggesting it was run at a fair pace and a test of stamina would have come into play.

What do you think it was, out of interest?

He just looked classier than the others so was comfortable off the steady pace.
Don't think they went quick.
think the winner got first run and was already rolling by the time Bob was asked.

I think there is a doubt about his ability to finish off his races now, for sure, but until he settles then this will be his issue.
Rachel would have wanted to hold on to him for a lot longer, I;m sure, but had to go earlier.

The excuses for some of the others need to be asked.
Bob came out best of the potential stayers winners with Porter a close second due to the weight concession.
 
I've watched the race back again a couple of times and I just think there is something troubling Bob at the end of his races. He either just bottoms out/throws the towel in or more likely he has a breathing issue. The race was 17 seconds slower than standard on fairly quick going so you can't really say it was a test of stamina either. The 2m 4f maiden was run in just 5 seconds slower and the winner carried 9lbs more. He just doesn't look happy whatever the reason.

That's how I saw it

I don't think he'd stay 3 miles in a stayers hurdle breathing issue or not

He travels too strongly and has plenty of pace

They'd likely be better off skipping Cheltenham and going to Aintree for the 2m4f grade 1 hurdle

To me he's going to be tripless over hurdles, too slow for 2 miles too fast for 3 miles.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Fouroverthrutwo
He just looked classier than the others so was comfortable off the steady pace.
Don't think they went quick.
think the winner got first run and was already rolling by the time Bob was asked.

I think there is a doubt about his ability to finish off his races now, for sure, but until he settles then this will be his issue.
Rachel would have wanted to hold on to him for a lot longer, I;m sure, but had to go earlier.

The excuses for some of the others need to be asked.
Bob came out best of the potential stayers winners with Porter a close second due to the weight concession.

Yeah, fair points. I must admit, I was expecting Bob to still have that turn of foot when asked and go clear, instead he seemed to cause Rachel trouble with his head carriage, don't know if there is an underlying issue there or not. As you said, Home By The Lee was already rolling and staying well, and quite rightly, what does that say about the rest of them, let alone Bob, who finished well clear of the rest.

I'm not surprised to see Zanahiyr so poor. I think he's a Grade 2/3 horse, will likely always find one too good at Grade 1 level, but appreciate connections had to give something a go, as he was pretty much readily being held over 2m.

With the exception of Bob, FP and probably the winner now, it looks like a case of lowering their sights.
 
Charles Byrnes was at Plumpton today - had a couple of runners. Got interviewed by Sky and gave an update on Blazing Khal, who is out until Christmas with 'a wee setback a few weeks ago'. Confirmed he would definitely stay over hurdles. Think we've heard rumours of that before, but got it from the horses mouth...
 
  • Like
Reactions: Eggs
Think I'd give Zanahiyr another chance. Never really put in the race proper and made a few really bad errors which didn't help. He looked big to me as well so probably needed the run. Wasn't messed about with at the business end of the race.
 
Missed the race yesterday but looking at the bare result is it possible Elliott is planning a handicap route for Zanihiyr and Sire du Berlais ?
If they get entered in any Pertemps qualifier I'd certainly be taking note, and in Zanihiyr's case possibly the Coral Cup, but any entry might be a warning flag for what can be expected from their performances pre March...
 
Zanahiyr......

(vet said gelding was blowing hard post race, had a wound to his right fore cannon and a graze distal right forearm)

Worth another chance me thinks poor thing.
 
  • Like
Reactions: opatcho
Not sure its been posted - Blazing Khal - Not expected to been seen until new year, "wee setback" (another one!)
atr.com

How is he still 6/1 after that news

Don't think I'd back him unless he was 20/1 now
 
How is he still 6/1 after that news

Don't think I'd back him unless he was 20/1 now

Missed the festival last season after a set back and now another set back and won't be seen until after Christmas.

I agree, his price is absolutely shocking. Also, his form is beating Gelino Bello twice, that is it.
 
I think this market looks ripe for a bet tbf

Blazing khal injured
State man won't run
The nice guy injured
Klassical dream will run
Buzz injured
Bob olinger won't stay imo
Sir gerhard won't run
Marie's rock unlikely runner
Brandy love won't run
Home by the Lee surely not good enough
Monkfish won't run
proschemma surely not good enough

really looks a very very weak division and don't think anyone would be far away from the winner backing flooring porter at 5/1 and klassical dream at 12/1

Klassical dream looked a windy stayer to me last year but seeing how much this betting will cut up he surely goes off 5/1-6/1 on the day potentially even shorter if he wins at leopardstown again
 
I think this market looks ripe for a bet tbf

Klassical dream looked a windy stayer to me last year but seeing how much this betting will cut up he surely goes off 5/1-6/1 on the day potentially even shorter if he wins at leopardstown again

Yep, I had the lot on KD dream last year but was very disappointed how he came there tanking to win the race and found little.
Didn’t have the best prep in fairness so maybe there is more to come, but yes I can’t disagree that he looks a solid play/press at the prices…
 
Has there been any clarity regarding KD going chasing or staying hurdling? I was wary of backing him given the uncertainty.
 
Has there been any clarity regarding KD going chasing or staying hurdling? I was wary of backing him given the uncertainty.

’Klassical Dream is a horse who's unfortunately always struggled with soundness. He seems to do his best running fresh though, so that actually may be a blessing in disguise. He won two G1's nonetheless, and he will surely be a big player in these staying hurdle races once again this season - if he stays sound’



That’s from the Sporing Life stable tour at end Oct, given his fitness issues I’d be shocked if they considered sending him chasing especially in such a weak division…
 
  • Like
Reactions: Mighty
I think this market looks ripe for a bet tbf

The nice guy injured
Home by the Lee surely not good enough

really looks a very very weak division and don't think anyone would be far away from the winner backing flooring porter at 5/1

These 3 interest me, although not completely given up on Bob either.

The Nice Guy could feasibly do a Penhill and return just for the Stayers.

I wouldn't be discounting Home By The Lee. I was surprised he was still 25/1 for the race and I may go in on him still, as an E/W play. He ran with credit in the race last season, and could be on the improve still.

Flooring Porter is most definitely the obvious one and was not given a hard time in the Lismullen either once he had been passed by others.