Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Top 5 Sporting Moments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tiger Woods' comeback "No where near? "

You do say some nonsense.

How many people win a major event in their career then don't win one for 11 years before winning one again?

I can't think of any other achievement like it. 11 years between drinks.

Comment

Lauda's is good.

If Rossi can win a 10th World Title in the Motobikes, that would be up there. He's still competing at 40 (2nd last Sunday!) and last won the Championship in 2009...

Comment

The 'problem' with Leicester as a sporting moment is that is hard to pick 'the' moment.

If I was old enough, the they think it's all over moment would be a contender?

Comment

I think Woods win is a big one but dont really have a perspective on how it compares to say Jack's last Masters - he was 46 and shot a back nine of 30.

There is a really good long read about Woods here - http://www.espn.co.uk/espn/feature/s...rl-woods-death
          Last edited by mayo; 15 April 2019, 04:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
            The 'problem' with Leicester as a sporting moment is that is hard to pick 'the' moment.

If I was old enough, the they think it's all over moment would be a contender?
            Delibarately didn't use the word moment.
            Moments will always be more subjective and personal.
            Moved topic on to achievements.

Tiger's comeback isn't even as good as George Foreman's.

He'd won 14 already, had a bad back and came back and won another whilst ranked in the top 20 golfers based on last seasons results. Lot better comebacks than that I'm afraid. Not even close to being nonsense.

Comment

Tiger Woods' comeback "No where near? "

You do say some nonsense.

How many people win a major event in their career then don't win one for 11 years before winning one again?

I can't think of any other achievement like it. 11 years between drinks.
              Think 4 have done it already. Boros, Irwin, Cotton and Crenshaw.

Comment

Originally posted by quevega View Post
                Delibarately didn't use the word moment.
                Moments will always be more subjective and personal.
                Moved topic on to achievements.

Tiger's comeback isn't even as good as George Foreman's.

He'd won 14 already, had a bad back and came back and won another whilst ranked in the top 20 golfers based on last seasons results. Lot better comebacks than that I'm afraid. Not even close to being nonsense.
                Start your own thread then in your next few moments...

George Foreman's come back involves selling grills doesn't it?

Won 14 then didn't win for 11 years ... it isn't just that he had a bad back. He fell from grace didn't he? The new breed of golfers eclipsed him. THE superstar was universally written off and he's bounced back.

Nonsense

Comment

Think 4 have done it already. Boros, Irwin, Cotton and Crenshaw.
                  Never heard of any of them.

Perhaps my age is counting against me ... but it's the reason Eclipse doesn't get mentioned often enough as a great horse but horses like Quevega do ...

I'm sure there is a valid case for some recency bias ... but to say is not a great comeback is chatting shit... like Foreman and his grills

Comment

Never heard of any of them.

Perhaps my age is counting against me ... but it's the reason Eclipse doesn't get mentioned often enough as a great horse but horses like Quevega do ...

I'm sure there is a valid case for some recency bias ... but to say is not a great comeback is chatting shit... like Foreman and his grills
                    Didn't say it wasn't great, but definitely said it's not the greatest.

"nonsense and chatting shit".

definitely do a lot of both, but not on this occasion.

attention to detail Kevin.

Comment

Didn't say it wasn't great, but definitely said it's not the greatest.

"nonsense and chatting shit".

definitely do a lot of both, but not on this occasion.

attention to detail Kevin.
                      You will have to quanitfy how many better sporting comebacks there have been for Tiger Woods Masters win (that is as you now say, great) is "no where near" being 'the greatest' (or top 5).

Attention to detail, like sentences start with capital letters?

and answer the question... what are the 5 best sporting moments you've seen in your lifetime. (see how I've started it without a capital letter just to mess with your mind) I wonder if I'll use a full stop. I did then didn't
                      Last edited by Kevloaf; 15 April 2019, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Zenyatta's defeat in the Breeders Cup is one of the most memorable.

Nobody has mentioned Winx-y

Kauto regaining the Gold Cup?

Frankel in the Juddmonte?

Sea The Stars Arc?

No-one ranking them highly enough?

Comment

Phelps going 8/8 at the Olympics

Comment

Originally posted by Hurricane fly View Post
                            Phelps going 8/8 at the Olympics
                            Oooh yeah, that'd slipped my mind! I don't think I appreciated that enough at the time... that was pretty special.

Comment

You will have to quanitfy how many better sporting comebacks there have been for Tiger Woods Masters win (that is as you now say, great) is "no where near" being 'the greatest' (or top 5).

Attention to detail, like sentences start with capital letters?

and answer the question... what are the 5 best sporting moments you've seen in your lifetime. (see how I've started it without a capital letter just to mess with your mind) I wonder if I'll use a full stop. I did then didn't
                              comebacks
                              moments
                              achievements
                              against the odds

i'd class near as top ten or maybe top 5 , that applies to all the above.

Tiger's win wouldn't be in my top ten of any of those categories.

aside from horseracing moments.

My top 5 would all be football based.

Platt's goal in 1990 World Cup.
                              Gazza'a goal in 1996 Euro's.
                              Pearce's penalty against Spain in 1996 Euro's.
                              Liverpool come back vs Milan 2005 (proper long moment that)
                              England 5 Germany 1 (another long moment)
                              And Colombia penalty win last year.

I'll give you another five that are not as personal but got my attention.

Redgrave's fifth Gold medal.
                              Murray winning wimbledon for first time.
                              Brathwaite 4 consecutive sixes in final over of 20/20 world cup vs England.
                              Mcgregor 13 second knockout of Jose Aldo
                              Wilkinson's drop goal.

PS,
                              resorting to punctuation as a comeback is surely the last resort.
                              I held back every time I was chatting with Scooby, even though his spelling of dosent and deffinately - did my head in.

Comment

Forgot Michael Owen goal vs Argentina 1998, nearly went through window. 3rd floor,

Comment

Working...
                                X