Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

March ‘24 FJ Yankee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Like Faugheen_Machine (I think), I can't currently see a situation where if both turn up fit and firing, Townends rides are anything other than El Fabiolo and Gaelic Warrior in the Champion Chase and Ryanair. If this is the case, they will be split between the two races - my strong expectation is that Gaelic would go to the Ryanair and I've already backed him for that accordingly, but why not give people the choice as it's clear that others (not just yourself Middle_Of_March) think Gaelic goes CC.

Yankee A: 2 other horses, El Fabs CC, Gaelic Ryanair
    Yankee B: 2 other horses, Gaelic CC, El Fabs Ryanair

Whichever race turns out to be the right one (and touch wood this year, I'd be fairly sure we are talking a 50-50 chance), Gaelic's current price is one that should be included I think, hence the suggestion of the choice of two yankees so people can make their own judgement call on his race?

Comment

Originally posted by jrjr View Post
      Could be some value to include something in the Mares Hurdle. Take Lossie out (Churdle) and this year’s protagonists don’t look that strong. Those new to the market in 2025 will include Kargese from the juvenile ranks but I like Dysart Enos.

Golden Ace looked to beat the two Irish novice big guns fair and square and she was put firmly in her place at Aintree by Dysart last April (albeit in a bumper).

Prices in the 16-20 bracket seem appealing with most of the likely rivals known. If she runs again this season and wins then her price will disappear so this could be a good month for inclusion.
      I’d certainly second this. Think Dysart Enos for the mares at 16s is value

Comment

Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post

Been thinking about this a bit today. I'd imagine Paul T would ideally want to ride El Fabiolo, Gaelic Warrior and GDC if they all turned up next year.

That could mean Gaelic or El Fab going Ryanair.
        Obviously coming back from an injury so wouldn't be looking to back him but thoughts on where Energumene would fit in?

Comment

He'd be 11 next festival. Be doing well to compete for any of the Grade 1s there imo.

On the mares hurdle. Think there's probably more to come from Brighterdaysahead than she showed last week. Wasn't given the best of rides and the step up in trip will also be a big plus next year. Certainly not one I'd be giving up on.

Interesting to see if Dysart Enos goes to Fairyhouse at the end of the month.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy23 View Post
            He'd be 11 next festival. Be doing well to compete for any of the Grade 1s there imo.

On the mares hurdle. Think there's probably more to come from Brighterdaysahead than she showed last week. Wasn't given the best of rides and the step up in trip will also be a big plus next year. Certainly not one I'd be giving up on.

Interesting to see if Dysart Enos goes to Fairyhouse at the end of the month.
            Think Gordy has mentioned a few times about future chaser? Or think she will stick to hurdles one more year?

Comment

Originally posted by Big Bucks View Post

Think Gordy has mentioned a few times about future chaser? Or think she will stick to hurdles one more year?
              It's a fair point this. I'm still hungover! He's definitely mentioned that and I've even made a note of her for the Turners. Although that would look a much harder route and she'll only be 6. Shattered Love was a year older for same connections, although she started hurdling a year later also... So doesn't set any sort of precedent.

But yea, not one to get involved in just yet is she.

Comment

I’ve just gone back and looked at last year’s yankees, and I think there’s real merit this year in sticking early on to horses that have absolute guaranteed targets. Losing one leg because of selecting in the wrong race really hits the odds.

Theres nothing we can do about injuries, but I’d rather take reduced odds than guesses about horses at this stage. and I say that as one who put up a horse for the Supreme earlier in the thread!

Comment

Originally posted by Mighty View Post
                  I’ve just gone back and looked at last year’s yankees, and I think there’s real merit this year in sticking early on to horses that have absolute guaranteed targets. Losing one leg because of selecting in the wrong race really hits the odds.

Theres nothing we can do about injuries, but I’d rather take reduced odds than guesses about horses at this stage. and I say that as one who put up a horse for the Supreme earlier in the thread!

Agree

ive just used my Sky free trebles & am focusing on horses like Teahupoo, GDC, GW & Lim Lace….,all likely to shorten over coming months

Think we should try to get the Teahupoos into the book now & add more creative ones later

If do want a longer one, Golden Ace will go for Mares (already confirmed)
                  Fat Jockey Patron (est. Jan 2021)

Comment

Originally posted by Mighty View Post

Folks, that's a sound strategy. Early doors, stick to the obvious, those with certain targets.

Plenty of time over the months to be more creative.

Comment

Originally posted by Ballyfitz View Post

He did, and then in typical style also said the Ryanair in the same sentence (at least I think he did - things are a little hazy from this week )
                      Yeah, when asked he did say he has two others for the 2m (El Fabiolo & Energumene) so could go Ryanair but in typical Mullins style would probably only take one of those to get injured and GW will end up in the Champion Chase.

Comment

I think galopin and teauphoo would be a solid base to build from, lossie another i wouldn't be averse to.

Comment

The reason why I think Ryanair has to be favourite is that he has nothing else for it. Even if he loses El Fabiolo surely the 2nd team for the QMCC of Energumene, Gentleman De Mee and Il Etait Temps surely looks better than Hunters Yarn and Facile Vega for the Ryanair.

Surely the Facile Vega infatuation will need to be tempered, Allaho will be 11 and while he tried Capodanno at it this year I'm not sure I see anything else which might step down? It would be incredible for FTF to be dropped down in favour of Corbetts Cross single dart for the McManus GC squad.

Comment

I mentioned early last season about the merits of having a core team of horses to perm from, especially from this far out, and these would need to have fairly solid credentials and firm enough targets. As the year progresses others will firm up as being solid long term bets. And can be added accordingly.

The horses I'd say meet this criteria are -

Constitution Hill
                            State Man

El Fabiolo - CC

Teahupoo

Galopin des Champs
                            Gerri Colombe

And close ones...

Fact to File (looks a bit short to me for betting at this stage - but I think we know his target)
                            Lossiemouth CH - (doubt as she may end up in mares again)
                            Kargese - Mares - (doubt on ability but expect to get a similar campaign as Lossiemouth)
                            Gaelic Warrior CC - (doubt as may end up over further) - could say same about El Fab but chances are less likely.
                            Caldwell Potter BANC - (doubt as could go shorter)
                            Maughreen & other mares novices - (doubt is on ability not being proven)
                            Ile et Francais & Theleme - (slight doubt on form and participation)
                            Last edited by Quevega; 18 March 2024, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Yeah I placed a few with the change off bets throughout the week

Constitution hill
                              El fabiolo
                              Teahupoo
                              Galopin

Were the main ones

With

Gaelic Ryanair
                              Slade steel arkle
                              Impaire arkle
                              ballyburn turners

Featuring a couple of times each

Just loads of doubles and a few trebles.

I'd have only blown those little bits of money anyway on outsiders in the handicaps so no bother if they all lose.

Comment

….my instinct is to ‘go for the big one’ but the thinking of a stable axis, certainly to start the year seems sensible and if we include El Fab and GDC at the outset it’ll keep archie quiet

Group1 Axis selections
                                El Fab
                                GDC
                                Teah

Group2 back-up
                                GW (CC)
                                F2F
                                Lossie (CH)

Value with risk worth taking;
                                IEP (Ark) 20-1
                                Better Days Ahead (NHC) 16-1
                                William Munny (Sup) 25-1

I do think it’s worth including one at a price if we go with 3 axis selections for the first month.
                                Last edited by Eggs; 18 March 2024, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X