Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Spectre Racing - The King Of Ryhope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looked to stop quite quickly there - hopefully just the desperate ground rather than picking up a niggle (presume Harry would have pulled him up rather than jumping the last two if he'd felt anything?)

Comment

• Originally posted by Odin View Post
      Looked to stop quite quickly there - hopefully just the desperate ground rather than picking up a niggle (presume Harry would have pulled him up rather than jumping the last two if he'd felt anything?)
      11-10 in that ground looked brutal.

Hopefully won't have bottomed him out and he can bounce back on better ground next time out

Comment

• Originally posted by Odin View Post
        Looked to stop quite quickly there - hopefully just the desperate ground rather than picking up a niggle (presume Harry would have pulled him up rather than jumping the last two if he'd felt anything?)
        Yeah he was fine afterwards, thanks. No niggle. Was trotting again right after walking over the finish

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post

Yeah he was fine afterwards, thanks. No niggle. Was trotting again right after walking over the finish
          Good to hear. The ground did look very hard work. You could see Harry minded him home, so hopefully plenty of time before the next run and no harm done.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post

Good news
            With Ryhope being in Sunderland, why the Newcastle shirt for his colours ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Quevega View Post

Good news
              With Ryhope being in Sunderland, why the Newcastle shirt for his colours ?
              I'd imagine the name of the first horse has nowt to do with the colours for all the t'other syndicate 'orses goin' forward

They do have a good story about the naming of the horse (obviously before picked up with the syndicate) although I forgot it

Comment

• Nice write up by Donn McLean in his latest horses to follow list, published yesterday.

The King Of Ryhope

The King Of Ryhope only finished fourth of the four finishers in the Grade 2 Reynoldstown Chase at Ascot last Saturday, but he ran way better than his finishing position suggests. Last of the five runners early on, he travelled best of all along the inside around the home turn. Taken towards the outside by Harry Skelton on the run to the second last fence, he moved up menacingly on the near side between the final two fences, at which point he traded at 2.1 in-running, but he got the final fence all wrong. He got in tight and hit the top of it and lost momentum. He kept on up the run-in, but he couldn't bridge the gap to the leaders in the end, finishing three lengths behind the winner Henry's Friend, and beaten just a neck by Apple Away from third.

It was still a fine run by Dan Skelton's horse. He is eight, he is old enough for a novice, but this was just his fourth run over fences, so he still has plenty of potential for progression. This was his first run over fences over three miles and, third behind Makin'yourmindup in the Grade 2 Prestige Novices' Hurdle over three miles at Haydock around this time last year, there could be more to come from him now over this type of trip over fences. He will be interesting in novice chases now in the spring, and he would be interesting too off his handicap rating of 137 if connections choose to go down the handicap route.
                Ascot, 17
                th February 2024

Comment

• He would be interesting indeed

Comment

• 3m Class 2 Novices Handicap at Uttoxeter on Midlands National day. Could be a race to think about as it would fit nicely between Ascot and something in April.

Comment

• Originally posted by Exotic Dancer View Post
                      3m Class 2 Novices Handicap at Uttoxeter on Midlands National day. Could be a race to think about as it would fit nicely between Ascot and something in April.
                      Freshen up probably more likely at the moment I think if he'd be going for anything in April ....

Not one that'd thrive from racing as wouldn't always come out of races well.

Comment

• As Kev says, it's straight to Aintree for The King Of Ryhope. We want him there fresh because he'll have an outstanding chance
                        Luck is a dividend of sweat. The more I sweat, the luckier I get.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spectre View Post
                          As Kev says, it's straight to Aintree for The King Of Ryhope. We want him there fresh because he'll have an outstanding chance
                          How you all feeling for Saturday? king has been installed as the 7/1 favourite I see.

How many of you are going from the syndicate?

Comment

• Originally posted by Madmoose View Post

How you all feeling for Saturday? king has been installed as the 7/1 favourite I see.

Wowsers... That'll be some night if he does the business. All the very best !!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Madmoose View Post

He'll certainly be going into the race looking well and in very good form at home. All the owners will be there, and as Lobos says it'll be a big celebration if he can justify his tag as favourite. The most important thing of course is he comes back fit and well.
                              Luck is a dividend of sweat. The more I sweat, the luckier I get.

Comment

• I’ll see you there. I’m with I’m a lumberjack in the bumper

Comment

Working...
                                X