Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Top National Hunt Sires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top National Hunt Sires

It's of great use to me (and hopefully others) when FJs discuss the breeding side of things as to whether they think a horse has potential to be either a festival horse or stay over a certain distance.

Without that input, I wouldn't have a clue as to what it all means. I know it isn't the be all and end all, and consideration has to be given for other factors outside of breeding but I would like to gain a bit more knowledge about it to help make more informed decisions when betting.

I've added this thread and hope those FJs who have more knowledge on the subject could point out what sires should be noted and which, if any, should be avoided.

I 'm maybe taking a ham fisted approach here but I think it would be handy to have a thread where the info is there to read in one place.

There's no doubt a load more members who know their stuff when comes to this but have tagged a few below to hopefully help with who's got the best horse balls in the game.
    charlie ComplyOrDie JackieMoon33
    FinalFurlong91

With my limited info, even I know a few who have produced Cheltenham winners, so I've started a list and will add to it when anyone else shares their views;

Walk in the Park
    Saint des Saints (chasers)
    Montmartre
    No risk at all
    Westerner
    Blue Bresil
    Affinisea
    Jeremy
    Kalanisi
    Presenting
    Oscar
    Fame & Glory
    Well Chosen
    Doctor Dino (can be speedy types)
    Maxios (particularly juveniles)
    Getaway (not Cheltenham)
    Yeats (stayers)
    Sholokhov
    ​​​​​​Flemensfirth (chasers)
    Kapgarde (chasers)
    Jet Away
    Goliath du Berlais
    Kayf Tara
    Milan
    Joshua Tree
    Last edited by That Horse; 1 December 2022, 12:25 PM.

Blue Bresil has to be of note. Constitution Hill the obvious one of note but has also produced the likes of Blue Lord, Royal Pagaille and 2018 Grand Annual winner Le Prezien.

Comment

I think a really simple thing to do when considering backing a horse, especially a novice is to look up the parents, Sire, Dam & Dams Sire. Dad/Mom and mothers dad.
      Type in their name and progeny. And google does the rest - racing post usually the best.

You can then view the progeny of those parents and grandparents and see what they acheived and in what conditions etc. (progeny statistics)

Obviously you can go deeper into the ancestry if you like and this can sometimes help with relatively new sires with not as much a track record of offspring.
      Like a family tree.

If you look far enough you'll find something to support your own opinion
      And back the fucker anyway.

Comment

Affinisea being talked up as an up-and-coming NH sire, certainly not had a bad start with his first book producing affordale fury

Comment

The racing post gives loads of useful information on sires

The best horses they have produced
          Sires strike rate over NHF, hurdles and fences
          Strike rate on different types of ground

Available for free on every sire under the progeny statistics tab

It's another small piece in the jigsaw to antepost betting

Especially for the novice chasers as some sires just don't produce good jumpers of fences

Jeremy has had really good recent success at Cheltenham with appreciate it, sir gerhard, corach rambler, Belfast banter and black tears
          Last edited by FinalFurlong91; 29 November 2022, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zachx02 View Post
            Affinisea being talked up as an up-and-coming NH sire, certainly not had a bad start with his first book producing affordale fury
            Had a few 4 year PTP winners this season I think.

Comment

Originally posted by FinalFurlong91 View Post
              Jeremy has had really good recent success at Cheltenham with appreciate it, sir gerhard, corach rambler, Belfast banter and black tears
              Such a shame he passed away so young.

Comment

Kalanisi, Presenting, Oscar, Fame & Glory & Well Chosen all very good staying sires currently!

Comment

Doctor Dino is one to add, produced Sceau Royal, Sharjah, most recently State Man and Fil Dor
                  Long bitcoin, long gold, long silver, long g/s opening day Cheltenham Festival

Comment

Maxios has been a decent sire of juveniles at recent festivals

Comment

I have taken more note of this in recent years

also,I make a note of sire’s that produce good horses but not Cheltenham Festival winners

Getaway springs to mind

Comment

I’d add Jet Away too, he could be very popular going forward if Brandy Lovw & Jet Powered prove their worth!

Comment

Doctor Dino - State Man, Sceau Royal, Sharjah, Master Dino. He can get some nice speedy types. One of my favourite sires.

Yeats - Conflated, Flooring Porter, Noble Yeats etc. Produces some nice stayers.

Sholokhov can make some very very good horses.

​​​​​​Flemensfirth is an outstanding sire.

Kapgarde has had some brilliant chasers over the last few years.

​​​​​​Saint Des Saints is right up there as a sire of chasers.

Jet Away is starting to deliver some nice horses.

The sire I'm most looking forward to is Goliath du Berlais. He was a monster of a horse and hopefully he can stamp his class and size into his progeny.

Comment

Originally posted by DenmanSacre View Post
                            Doctor Dino - State Man, Sceau Royal, Sharjah, Master Dino. He can get some nice speedy types. One of my favourite sires.

Yeats - Conflated, Flooring Porter, Noble Yeats etc. Produces some nice stayers.

Sholokhov can make some very very good horses.

​​​​​​Flemensfirth is an outstanding sire.

Kapgarde has had some brilliant chasers over the last few years.

​​​​​​Saint Des Saints is right up there as a sire of chasers.

Jet Away is starting to deliver some nice horses.

The sire I'm most looking forward to is Goliath du Berlais. He was a monster of a horse and hopefully he can stamp his class and size into his progeny.
                            Yes, bang on DC. I’m a bit annoyed I left Flemensfirth off my list, his progeny tend to be late bloomers but excel for a fence!

Comment

The don of progeny for the Cheltenham Festival for me was King's Theatre. He's unfortunately no longer with us, so no need to stick him on the list, but his roll call of horses to have won or gone close at the top level or handicaps at the festival is incredible, IMO. They include, but not limited to:

Cue Card - Champion Bumper 1st, Supreme 4th, Arkle 2nd, Ryanair 1st
                              Riverside Theatre - Arkle 5th, Ryanair 1st, Ryanair 5th (behind Cue Card)
                              Captain Chris - Arkle 1st, Ryanair 4th (behind Riverside Theatre), 6th Gold Cup
                              Menorah - Supreme 1st, Champion Hurdle 5th, Arkle 3rd, PU in Ryanair (Cue Card won)
                              Bellshill - 3rd RSA - Also had a couple of poor festival runs
                              The New One - 6th Champion Bumper, 1st Neptune (now Ballymore), 3rd, 4th & two 5th places in Champion Hurdle
                              Carlingford Lough - 6th RSA, 4th Gold Cup
                              Champ - 2nd Ballymore, 1st RSA, 4th Stayers
                              Voler La Vedette - 3rd Mares Hurdle, 2nd Stayers
                              L'Ami Serge - 4th Supreme, 3rd JLT, 2nd County Hurdle - couple of lesser runs in the Stayers in his latter years
                              Shaneshill - 2nd Champion Bumper, 2nd Supreme, 2nd RSA
                              Baily Green - Arkle 2nd
                              William Henry - Coral Cup 1st & 4th
                              Diamond King - Coral Cup 1st
                              The Druids Nephew - Albert Bartlett 6th, Ultima 1st
                              Wichita Lineman - Albert Bartlett 1st, Ultima 1st
                              Kings Palace - Plate 3rd
                              Southfield Theatre - Pertemps 2nd, RSA 2nd
                              Regal Encore - Champion Bumper 2nd
                              Happy Diva - Plate 2nd
                              Balthazar King - X-Country 1st, 1st, 1st
                              Mortal - RSA 5th
                              Fingal Bay - Pertemps 1st
                              Brinidisi Breeze - Albert Bartlett 1st
                              Glens Melody - Mares Hurdle 1st & 2nd
                              Tumbling Dice - Coral Cup 3rd & JLT 3rd

There are probably a few more, but these were from a quick 15 minute search on the RP. It's also worth noting these are just the festival results, many of these had success at Cheltenham during the season away from the festival too, so clearly a liking for the Cheltenham course in general.

The fact he's no longer with us is obviously a key point here, so his results have fizzled out over recent years, but his bloodline is still present, none more so than the mare, Queen Of The Stage, who is none other than the dam of Constitution Hill and so his legacy lives on.

Aside from King's Theatre, the likes of Presenting & Flemensfirth are also high on the list of top end sires within NH racing. I also like Sholokov & Kalanisi.

Of the new sires, obviously Walk In The Park seems to be sitting at the top of tree, but I also like No Risk At All, currently.

Comment

Working...
                              X